EPAS testing on 07GT

lito

forum member
Reaction score
It works!

This is an FRPP EPAS, we planned to interconnect my car (07GT) and the coyote swapped 07GT but decided to test the new rack directly by mocking up the wiring and a vise on the shaft and it works!

It had no turning resistance so it it was just slightly softer tab off with it turned on at zero VS but once you get speed resistance it got stronger and stronger making it harder to turn, at 140+ it gets really really hard to turn with the vise, so it works.

37004c983f63861768e1770dd4e1b7af.jpg

048ee44da0ee94e7a7b6f7ba4cd120e0.jpg

lito

forum member
Reaction score
How does the epas get the speed signal?

It just reads PCM data over CAN BUS as the IC does, rack uses only 5 wires, thick power, thick ground in one connector, switched power and both high and low lines of the HS CAN data on the other, that is it.

Now, to have this installed you will need a new bracket welded to your current k-member for the 3rd bolt (or get a BMR 11+ unit, will just bolt on), this rack has more weight in the front due to the controller and electric motor so there is a new rearward bolt to manage that (credit to kdanner for commenting this many many moons ago), that 3rd point is quite beefy if you at it, probably because there is some new torsion going due to the electric motor's back/forth motion.

Also you will also need the connectors for it, probably can get the pigtails thru Ford but given the absurdly priced these things are, getting the complete harness makes a lot of more sense (you will have all the wiring you need, fuse and more) for around 140$.

Weight wise, I think you may get to save some when you add lines, pump and fluid you are removing but nothing too big, if it is even real, maybe is the exact opposite, I'll measure it whenever I get to do it.

So basically you need the rack, wiring, a new belt (which I need to find out which one is it, if anyone that re-routed or removed this and kept everything the same, including the A/C, I would love to know which belt they used so to have it at hand, we can barely find toilet paper to buy down here, an specific belt probably even less) and weld the new k-member ear.

We have the coyote swapped car running an stock '12 rack for a couple of years, it has been suffering the same issues reported on the "EPAS terrible shudder" (thread here) so we have a FRPP unit here for its replacement.

Reasons for doing this? there are some but, some are more valid than others, to anyone its own to look into this.

- Power gains, there is some power spent on spinning that steering pump, some say about 7hp, true? don't know, worth? maybe, for an NA guy every HP you can gain is good. It would be like when you install UDPs, you get to feel them more than the numbers reflect mainly because is not a flow related thing like other mods when you see bigger differences in numbers but only around peak areas, this will be felt everywhere. Now, money wise, is it worthy???? You are talking a 1000$ mod here (considering FRPP rack)

- Weight savings, I sincerely don't know, this rack is heavy, so don't know even if they exist.

- Clearance, you need the space for something else like, another accessory, relocate the alternator, turbo hot side piping, etc.

- Feel, some will say that you have to be nuts to switch a hydraulic PS system for electric, feelwise, but our rack feels mushy and has nothing to brag about, for me, this is a big improvement, I have only driven 2 EPAS mustang and I felt in love.

- Wow factor, is there, is new, is different, that counts right? ;-)

Last edited:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Now what I would be interested in most - how can the resistance be manually changed?

You wont do that unless you have a compatible IC and controls, probably someone with a CAN sniffer could catch the commands and implement something but now that is something I would not count on.

The coyote swapped car feels good as is but expect the FRPP will feel better. What is the stock setting on a 11+ car? Were the basic 11-12 models adjustable?

Once you go with the FRPP unit, can you still adjust it? For some reason I think it would only have one setting, no data, no nothing, just a hunch because its intended use.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
From what I am reading, there aren't too many benefits here.
You got weight, electrical complexity and aren't gaining much as far as free hp for $1,000+.
But cool fitting it on a car that wasn't supposed to have it, that is always fun!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Id like it for just cleaning up the engine bay and getting rid of the fluid. Wonder how my turbo piping would clear.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Id like it for just cleaning up the engine bay and getting rid of the fluid. Wonder how my turbo piping would clear.
Beware that all that's circled in the picture is new, if you have any piping running close to the front of the oil pan it may or may not interfere.

0daf1b590ffa285415a992263cd0d950.jpg

Are you able to make the EPAS rack work with the control pack ?

Yes, we have an EPAS running for over two years on the coyote swap, we did not used the control pack as is as we redid all the wiring so the stock BEC is used and everything else but the PCM is the one provided on the control pack with an updated control pack calibration so yes, it works, this way of doing things didn't change this.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
From what I am reading, there aren't too many benefits here.
You got weight, electrical complexity and aren't gaining much as far as free hp for $1,000+.
But cool fitting it on a car that wasn't supposed to have it, that is always fun!
Weight is to be determined, electrical complexity is practically non existent as this is no much more complex than connecting an intercooler pump.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Beware that all that's circled in the picture is new, if you have any piping running close to the front of the oil pan it may or may not interfere.

0daf1b590ffa285415a992263cd0d950.jpg

Yes, we have an EPAS running for over two years on the coyote swap, we did not used the control pack as is as we redid all the wiring so the stock BEC is used and everything else but the PCM is the one provided on the control pack with an updated control pack calibration so yes, it works, this way of doing things didn't change this.

Yup, that's what I was looking at, I'll have to check that out.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Lito, I've been waiting on this for awhile hahaha. I totally want to do this swap and eliminate the power steering pump.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back