Foot dimmer switch in an s197

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed one in a newer Mustang? My '65 had one, and I miss it. I looked online but couldn't find any info. Has anyone done this or know anyone who has?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to when the functioning stalk on the column does the same thing? This doesn't seem like it would accomplish anything.

1bad65

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you want to when the functioning stalk on the column does the same thing? This doesn't seem like it would accomplish anything.

When I'm driving at night it would just be convenient. I rest my foot over there anyway, so it would be nice to have. It's just personal preference is all, I really liked how my '65 had it there. And I wouldn't replace the one on it already, I'd just have the option to use either.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
If someone sold them, I would buy one as well.... always prefered it on the floor, just much easier to tap your foot rather then move your arm.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
I understand where the OP is coming from. I had that in my 91 F-150 as well and it was very convenient. I mostly enjoyed it cause in the hill country, people bright trucks all the time cause they think they have their brights on. With the switch on the floor, I drove around with my foot on it all the time just to make sure I didnt miss an opportunity to bright the piss out of some asshole trying to let me know my brights were on.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
The HMMWVs I drive at work have foot switches. I guess it's sort of cool. I just wish they had a stereo. Or cup holders. Or a power jack.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I always wanted one of those foot starter switches on the left of the floor shifter like my grandpas old dump truck used to have... LOL

Big Stig

forum member
Reaction score
I like the fact that Ford changed the bright switch to push-foward from the funky 2-position pull in the new models (GM style). The wiper controls are GM style as well.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Its been a while since I pulled one, but if I remember right, they are just about all the same. They actually just set on top of the floor board and screw down to the sheet metal. Two wire connections on the side. Cut a hole in the carpet for it to stick up through and your set. I got an old truck that the carpet is stripped out of with the switch still in tact, I can take a pic of tomorrow.

Tbone

forum member
Reaction score
If you use the traction control mod wiring diagram at http://forums.themustangsource.com/f669/traction-control-auto-off-mod-462075/
wouldnt a foot switch be about the same?

Put the foot dimmer switch where the red/blk wire ends, and instead of the traction control switch, you run it to the high beam wire. Which to my wiring diagrams is yellow/white.

Seems with both mods, the object is to make the sjb think you pushed the button, which could be the TC button or the high beam switch.

Feel free to correct me if anyone sees a problem with this.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
It shouldnt be hard to build something. The "Dimmer" switch on the stock is not a dimmer at all (aka potentiometer), its probably a rotary encoder, in that it has "steps".
If you took apart the stock and took pictures I could tell you how it worked for sure.

But anyway, Im sure you could find a switch that could do the same thing as the one on the stalk.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back