FRPP Intake and a GT500 throttle body

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Need to post a WTB in our vendors section to get a good price!

LOL..:)

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
Personally I would stay away from the BBK unit. If you take them apart and compare the BBK to the FRPP piece you will notice that the BBK units gearing is plastic compared to the FRPPs metal gearing. Dont get me wrong the plastic intake we have is great, but plastic shouldnt be in moving parts. Just my two cents.

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 TB is what I installed on my 05 Gt stock manifold. No spacer needed and the 60mm butterflies clear the manifold opening with no problem. You will need to spend about 20-30 minutes elongating the mounting holes (with a rat tail file) about 3/16" to eliminate the need for a spacer.

The opening for the GT500 TB is a larger 5" compared to the 4.5" stock size. For some CAIs this may cause a fitment problem. My K&N coupler would not fit and I had to fabricate something. A few weeks later I installed a JLT and that coupler fit with a little elbow grease.

CJ Pony Parts has the GT500 TB for $129 (free shipping) but they run it on sale for $119 from time to time. http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=TB100

You can see the difference in the size of the TB mouths the GT500 is 5" dia and the stock TB is 4.5" dia.

So my question is since you used the larger TB, but with the stock manifold, did you see any gains? What were they? Did you have the car tuned for the new TB?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Personally I would stay away from the BBK unit. If you take them apart and compare the BBK to the FRPP piece you will notice that the BBK units gearing is plastic compared to the FRPPs metal gearing. Dont get me wrong the plastic intake we have is great, but plastic shouldnt be in moving parts. Just my two cents.

I thought the GT 500 TB has plastic gears as well...I can check my stock TB.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Anything that will allow your forced induction engine to breathe more and breathe easier will net more power. Are there better options than a GT500 TB? Yes, are they more expensive? Yes. Will you make more power with a GT500 TB? Yes.
i guess what my actual question is, should i look to accufab, c&l, etc for a specific gt aftermarket throttle body because it has better gains than the oem gt500 or that they are so comparable in gains that its a crapshoot, save the extra coin and go gt500

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
I thought the GT 500 TB has plastic gears as well...I can check my stock TB.
Had to reread the entire post. For someone reason I had thought he was talking about the FRPP TB which has metal gears, didnt realize he meant the GT500 TB, in retrospect obvious if I had read the title. Sorry for the confusion.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
So my question is since you used the larger TB, but with the stock manifold, did you see any gains? What were they? Did you have the car tuned for the new TB?

And the answer is....

I was going to have Hot Rod cams and LT Headers installed which would require a tune on the Dyno at $300 a pop. So the day before I had the work done I installed CMCV deletes, and the throttle body at the same time. At the shop I also upgraded from a K&N CAI to a larger JLT. So I only had to pay for one tune for everything.

Added HP? It was so hot at the Dyno Pad that day (103F) and humid we couldent get an acurate hp reading so I am going back next week for a retune but it will be for all of the upgrads.

I think my RWHP before those mods was about 280 or so.

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. Would like to see what you come up with because I have FRPP cams, FRPP CAI, FRPP headers and exhaust. TB upgrade might be worth a few HP.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
GT500 TB came in and I elongated the mounting holes to fit the FRPP intake manifold, opened the butterflies and to my amazement the TB is to big for the manifold. I guess an adaptor is needed. Oh well.

Attachments

• PICT0396.jpg
    PICT0396.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 60
  • PICT0395.jpg
    PICT0395.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 51

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 TB is what I installed on my 05 Gt stock manifold. No spacer needed and the 60mm butterflies clear the manifold opening with no problem. You will need to spend about 20-30 minutes elongating the mounting holes (with a rat tail file) about 3/16" to eliminate the need for a spacer.

The opening for the GT500 TB is a larger 5" compared to the 4.5" stock size. For some CAIs this may cause a fitment problem. My K&N coupler would not fit and I had to fabricate something. A few weeks later I installed a JLT and that coupler fit with a little elbow grease.

CJ Pony Parts has the GT500 TB for $129 (free shipping) but they run it on sale for $119 from time to time. http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=TB100

010.jpg

018.jpg

You can see the difference in the size of the TB mouths the GT500 is 5" dia and the stock TB is 4.5" dia.

005.jpg

Damn i feel like a shmuck, i payed 270 for that tb from vendor on here and it didn't even come with a spacer. I sold it on here for 190 with a spacer at a loss. I feel kind of bad for selling it for that much, at least i through in an adapter and the boot you need to have it fit with your intake.

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
GT500 TB came in and I elongated the mounting holes to fit the FRPP intake manifold, opened the butterflies and to my amazement the TB is to big for the manifold. I guess an adaptor is needed. Oh well.

From my understanding the only reason you need the spacer is because the blades can't open all of the way. It looks like you have the blades open all of the way.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
From my understanding the only reason you need the spacer is because the blades can't open all of the way. It looks like you have the blades open all of the way.
I don't have the mounting bolts torqued all the way because the butterflies are making contact, besides it looks like the lip of the intake could create some turbulence.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FWIW, a GT500 TB won't fit the FRPP intake without the spacer. The blades hit (barely) and the o-ring seal isn't even close to being in the right place. I'll post some pics in the morning.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
FWIW, a GT500 TB won't fit the FRPP intake without the spacer. The blades hit (barely) and the o-ring seal isn't even close to being in the right place. I'll post some pics in the morning.

ohhh crap... hahah I forgot all about that.. I did the gt500 pump and now have idle issue.. but I forgot that I also took off that spacer.. I thoht the holes wouldnt line up without filing the thing.. but it did and I put it on.. hahah.. I caused my car to go lean.. ha ha ha... I'm a dumb ass =-/

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
ohhh crap... hahah I forgot all about that.. I did the gt500 pump and now have idle issue.. but I forgot that I also took off that spacer.. I thoht the holes wouldnt line up without filing the thing.. but it did and I put it on.. hahah.. I caused my car to go lean.. ha ha ha... I'm a dumb ass =-/

Push open the blades of the throttle body and you'll see the whole gasket exposed on both the outside edges on the intake. It's not going to seal (as you found out).

a0981bec.jpg

bd5b2a8e.jpg

Last edited:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Push open the blades of the throttle body and you'll see the whole gasket exposed on both the outside edges on the intake. It's not going to seal (as you found out).

I just got back from the garage.. I put it back in but am having a hell of a time getting those 2 bottom bolts in.. cant catch the thread.. then baby started to cry.. haha.. I will have to go try putting the bottom in first.. it always seems I have to struggle with every damn thing I do to the car.. it took me 20 minutes to put the t-bolt clamp on the TB!.. there was no extra slack.. I had to form fit the thing with my hands while pushing both sides together and then some how put the nut on... cant they make parts more user friendly.. haha

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
it took me 20 minutes to put the t-bolt clamp on the TB!.. there was no extra slack.. I had to form fit the thing with my hands while pushing both sides together and then some how put the nut on... cant they make parts more user friendly.. haha

My twin turbo Cobra had about 20 of those damn things, and it seems like all of them were a hair too small. You get pretty good at them after a while.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back