FRPP Intake at 30psi reliably?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Over the years, we have seen many FRPP posts, and various successes at 16-21 psi or so. There were a couple posts I’ve seen with some blown-out gaskets, but unsure if they were earlier models that ballooned a bit. From what I understand, the revised version were reinforced and should not have the breathing issue, but can anyone confirm? If they still flex, therein lies my concern with ~30psi I plan on running, since I’ve seen videos where the entire fuel rail flexed, placing tension on the injector seals, and that looks like a fuel leak waiting to happen.

I currently have an FRPP intake sitting new in the box waiting for my build to finish, so does anyone have experience with around 30psi on the revised FRPP intake?
Alternatively, I am considering the surprisingly lower priced Holley Sniper EFI (2nd revision), which should fit better as well. I’m not sure how thin the aluminum is, but would hopefully handle 30psi without issue compared to a composite/vinyl FRPP intake.

Slick4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I think you’d be better off running some type of sheet metal intake as opposed to the frpp. I believe Ford only tested them up to 20psi.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I think you’d be better off running some type of sheet metal intake as opposed to the frpp. I believe Ford only tested them up to 20psi.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen descriptions and articles indicating they tested to 2 bar which is 29 psi, but what I’m unclear on is if even within tested operations, does the new version still flex?

Either way, I am leaning toward the same conclusion that I will need to go with a metal intake manifold. It is a bit disheartening that I can’t use the Fore Innovations rails, and there may be height fitment issues, but we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Ford tested them to 35+ PSI, it says it in the description when you purchase the intake manifold

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I’ve seen descriptions and articles indicating they tested to 2 bar which is 29 psi, but what I’m unclear on is if even within tested operations, does the new version still flex?

Either way, I am leaning toward the same conclusion that I will need to go with a metal intake manifold. It is a bit disheartening that I can’t use the Fore Innovations rails, and there may be height fitment issues, but we shall see.

I would run the intake you have, to be honest you’re going to have enough issues reaching 30 PSI that you may never go that far. I’ve seen members with the S&H twin kit make 1000whp on 25 lbs of boost, the effort you’re need to go through to support that much boost is a long road.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I would run the intake you have, to be honest you’re going to have enough issues reaching 30 PSI that you may never go that far. I’ve seen members with the S&H twin kit make 1000whp on 25 lbs of boost, the effort you’re need to go through to support that much boost is a long road.

I completely understand that as good advice for most builds, but I should be able to get close. 7675 turbo and a motor that has been tested to 1700hp...and of course I have all supporting mods.
My concern is the flexing even at lower PSI though, as I read of someone getting a fuel leak from the rail movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I completely understand that as good advice for most builds, but I should be able to get close. 7675 turbo and a motor that has been tested to 1700hp...and of course I have all supporting mods.
My concern is the flexing even at lower PSI though, as I read of someone getting a fuel leak from the rail movement.

What 3v has been tested to 1700 horsepower? I'm curious how you get to that claim. I've seen enough cars around here trying for 1000 and fall just short, it takes a tremendous amount of support mods and tuning, as well as little things that you don't think about until the break or fail to be adequate.
There are many of these intakes on cars running 20+ PSI with no issues. The early version showed some flex but was never reported to fail.
In the end a sheet metal intake manifold will always be superior, but I wouldn't worry about it right off the bat, certainly before it's show to be a weak point in your build.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
What 3v has been tested to 1700 horsepower? I'm curious how you get to that claim. I've seen enough cars around here trying for 1000 and fall just short, it takes a tremendous amount of support mods and tuning, as well as little things that you don't think about until the break or fail to be adequate.
There are many of these intakes on cars running 20+ PSI with no issues. The early version showed some flex but was never reported to fail.
In the end a sheet metal intake manifold will always be superior, but I wouldn't worry about it right off the bat, certainly before it's show to be a weak point in your build.

You are correct; it’s all theoretical. Sorry, not trying to start an argument. I’m simply stating I too have seen many on the groups and this forum and seen the shortcuts taken which contribute to failed goals, and while I am sure I didn’t do everything perfect or could have gone better quality in certain areas, I have a decent build going that shouldn’t have an issue supporting 1000rwhp.
If I don’t have to run at 30psi, I’ll be very happy. That is not the point. The point is to plan for higher so I can more reliably hold less. The flex has been seen at low 20’s on the FRPP, so it has me suspicious which is the reason for the post, and I stated where I would like it to be able to handle to...whether or not I hit that regularly or on an edge case test flat out on a dyno.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If the answer you want is to replace the intake...why don’t you just replace the intake?
Obviously you have data supporting your logic, why waste any more time

Last edited:

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
If the answer you want is to replace the intake...so why don’t you just replace the intake?
Obviously you have data supporting your logic, why waste any more time

Why so hostile? Do you have the intake? If you do, have you run close to 30psi? If so, I value your input and thank you for taking so much of your and my time.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I'm not being hostile, I'm trying to help you move forward. Your insistence that the intake will not work is why we are are at this juncture.
I'm a nitrous car, boost is not in my future. How ever I run the intake in my format with no issues.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not being hostile, I'm trying to help you move forward. Your insistence that the intake will not work is why we are are at this juncture.
I'm a nitrous car, boost is not in my future. How ever I run the intake in my format with no issues.

I appreciate the insight. If it is the second gen, do the fuel rails still move when the engine is rev’d? It pretty much comes down to so many vids showing the movement on the first gen and also talking about issues with high psi and fuel leaks, but on the second gen people have stated it has been remedied but i have seen any show videos on it or testify to high psi. It’s all been just good reports on it working at low 20’s or below.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW I ran the FRPP intake for 3-4 years with max psi around 23-24 and had no issues.

Thanks bud, yeah that’s good feedback. Good to know you didn’t have any problems, but even still, did you ever notice if it had the rail flexing issue that caused the injectors to pivot when it breathed, or was that resolved?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
At those power levels wouldn't a custom intake be better?

I’m sure, but I didn’t plan on that and they can run a few grand. I did speak with a couple guys at Holley and one said the sniper was tested to 30psi and another said it was tested to 50psi. So that didn’t clear things up lol.
Since I can’t find any videos or definitive answers as to if the new FRPP manifold still flexes and moves the rails, I’ll probably go with the Holley Sniper and hope for the best. It apparently had all fitment issues resolved.
If anyone will be in the market for a brand new FRPP intake, be on the lookout in the FB groups.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I’m sure, but I didn’t plan on that and they can run a few grand. I did speak with a couple guys at Holley and one said the sniper was tested to 30psi and another said it was tested to 50psi. So that didn’t clear things up lol.
Since I can’t find any videos or definitive answers as to if the new FRPP manifold still flexes and moves the rails, I’ll probably go with the Holley Sniper and hope for the best. It apparently had all fitment issues resolved.
If anyone will be in the market for a brand new FRPP intake, be on the lookout in the FB groups.

The Holley won't fit without cutting the underside of the hood, as well as modifying the water outlet neck, meanwhile a guy who runs 9s in the quarter confirmed his FRPP worked for 3-4 years at boost level similar to your intended target. Seems like you would be fine with that you have, the FRPP is proven in plenty of high boost engines and has been doing it for years.
If not having proof that the FRPP revisions work how is it acceptable to run the Holley intake if your research indicates it may or may not be suitable for your boost level as well as not knowing if the fitment issues are resolved?

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
The Holley won't fit without cutting the underside of the hood, as well as modifying the water outlet neck, meanwhile a guy who runs 9s in the quarter confirmed his FRPP worked for 3-4 years at boost level similar to your intended target. Seems like you would be fine with that you have, the FRPP is proven in plenty of high boost engines and has been doing it for years.
If not having proof that the FRPP revisions work how is it acceptable to run the Holley intake if your research indicates it may or may not be suitable for your boost level as well as not knowing if the fitment issues are resolved?

Thanks for the info about the other guy? Do you know you so I can reach out?
Regarding the Holley fitment, I know that was the first version and has all been resolved. I talked to a couple guys with it and they showed photos and confirmed hood clears and can even use a tower brace and stock kmember. No more cutting required on the coolant crossover and you don’t have to relocate the alternator.

For the last part, i was simply thinking that sheet metal “should” be stronger than the vinyl resin.

But if I can talk to the individual you are referring to, that would be great and I’d happily stay with what I have.

Thanks!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Here you go, lol
FWIW I ran the FRPP intake for 3-4 years with max psi around 23-24 and had no issues.

The threads I saw on the FB group we are part of you are referencing mentioned a BMR drop K-member and the other guy who got his to fit under a stock hood posted pics of the hood under bracing cut for clearance.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back