Getting S197's into the 12's

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i dont wanna make this a pissing contest. people are gonna run different times all over the place due to weather, da, and track prep. i am a stronger believer that you will run the best times in florida due to the da.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
i dont wanna make this a pissing contest. people are gonna run different times all over the place due to weather, da, and track prep. i am a stronger believer that you will run the best times in florida due to the da.

I definitely agree with that with the exception that this time of year you probably won't be running the best times in Fla. The heat and humidity will really slow you down. Right now the best times will probably be in New England. It's a little cooler and the altitude is pretty low. I think in the spring and fall, Fla might be the place to go for the best times.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i just looked and seen that rhode island and delaware have some low elevations as well.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
i just looked and seen that rhode island and delaware have some low elevations as well.

Yeah, but are those states even big enough to have a drag strip?:thud:

I'm in Northern Ohio, we have some pretty low altitudes here as well. Norwalk is around 1000' I think. Cars seem to run fast there.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
the tracks here in louisiana are 12 and 18 feet above sea level. the bad thing is we have about the worse heat and humidity.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
the tracks here in louisiana are 12 and 18 feet above sea level. the bad thing is we have about the worse heat and humidity.

I remember, I spent a week in Houma a few years ago. I didn't know air could get that damp and not be raining.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
I remember, I spent a week in Houma a few years ago. I didn't know air could get that damp and not be raining.

lmao yea you can take a shower, walk out the door for work in the morning right before the sun comes up, and be sweating before you get in your car.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, but are those states even big enough to have a drag strip?
Hell no. We've got high schools bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware. :omfg:

Houston Raceway Park = 5 feet above sea level. And we've got the mosquitos and mudbugs to prove it.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
mark if im thinking of the same " chick " jroc is talking about she's no average chick ...... was it a vista blue auto j ? if so that's my tuners wife and yes she can drive last i heard was a 13.4 bone stock down to the airbox with a dyno tune , another guy ( matt ) ran a 13.2 with k&n intake and a offroad x pipe and wes' tune , the chick was a auto and matt is a stick car

and believe you me i was pissed best i could muster was a 14.2 stock lol , but i also had never raced a day in my life nor knew how to drive the car well yet ....i'll try to find the vids they have them posted somewhere

matt's car http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/customers/2008-ford-mustang-gt/

wes' better half car http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/customers/2007-ford-mustang-gt/

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
A new thread to debate what minimal mods are needed to get a s197 into the 12's...

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
My personal experience has been this. I never weighed the car(removed the tire,jack,frt sway bar after the CAI). Its a Deluxe GT,side airbags,int upgrade, only options,MT.

Bone stock the best I mustered on the P Neros was a 13.55. I added CAI,tune,4.10s on PNeros I couldn't get past a 13.0 and with 4.10s had nasty wheelhop.

I added DRs,LCAs and could hit 12.7s with good prep and DA. Delete plates,UDPs,UCA,rear axle brace I hit a 12.56.

I think with my current 15" wheel combo I could have hit 12.3s but that is bench racing so who knows??? Then I added a Whipple.

Now my best is a 11.80 on 10 lbs. I can't shift at upper rpms till I add tq limiters. Moving to a 28" rear tire my LCAs are now out of line and I need relocation brackets. Man this drag racing stuff is so frustrating and fun at the same time! lol

I was going to stay NA with cams,heads,LTs, then the Whipple deal came along and I jumped ship.

I can say these cars are very weather dependent. Heat soak, high temps,nasty DA suck the life out of them. Thats why I stopped comparing my times to others, WAY too many variables. I just know I hate East Coasters like Spaz in the fall!!! lol

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
My car ran 13.6@100 just as it rolled off the lot. My plan is a converter, gears, 26" et streets and if need be pull the spare tire/jack. The 13.6 was with a 2.0 60' which is the best it would pull on a 70* day with very little to no wheel spin. 12s are just a decent 60' and good weather away.

Last edited:

spedly

forum member
Reaction score

No tracks in delaware, but cecil is only 20min away and atco,e-town,mir,maple grove are close enough for a day of racing.

I believe cecil's elevation is 320' but with the cool october air we can get some crazy negative DA's.

Blazing Saddles

I'm a "Pro Tree" Hugger
Reaction score

The DA right now @ Speed World Dragway, Orlando, FL is 1660 ft.
The DA right now @ New England Dragway, Epping, NH is 495 ft.

You'll run a little more than a tenth quicker in New Hampshire right now.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Same up here in New Hampshire. In October the DA's usually run 800 to 1500 feet below sea level. I test and tune April through September. I put the numbers down in October. :clap:

I want to run at NE dragway soon. LVD seems to generate slower times compared to other tracks..I have talked to a few guys who say that a tenth or 2 better at NED rather than LVD..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back