Getting S197's into the 12's

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
The part about the race fuel in a naturally aspirated low compression motor tells all...
That says that you have very little experiance in drag racing...
If you have been around the game a while you should know that 87 octane makes more power but burns so much hotter that it causes detonation.

That being said you ALWAYS run the lowest octane fuel you can to make the most power with out causing detonation..

260 RWHP is enough to run 12.90's with at least a 1.7-1.8 60 foot and excellent driving...Notice EXCELLENT driving...that comes from seat time..

I've run 12.90s in a stock 91 mustang LX that made 230 RWHP running 3.55 gears but it was with a 1.6 60 ft and at 102mph.

Then more comparable I ran a 12.90 in my 97 Cobra with 271 RWHP, 3.73s, and a 1.8 60 ft..

Every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 at the top end.... if you want low ETs then its all at the starting line...

what color s197 do you drive?

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
The part about the race fuel in a naturally aspirated low compression motor tells all...
If you have been around the game a while you should know that 87 octane makes more power but burns so much hotter that it causes detonation.

That being said you ALWAYS run the lowest octane fuel you can to make the most power with out causing detonation..

260 RWHP is enough to run 12.90's with at least a 1.7-1.8 60 foot and excellent driving...Notice EXCELLENT driving...that comes from seat time..

I've run 12.90s in a stock 91 mustang LX that made 230 RWHP running 3.55 gears but it was with a 1.6 60 ft and at 102mph.

Then more comparable I ran a 12.90 in my 97 Cobra with 271 RWHP, 3.73s, and a 1.8 60 ft..

Every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 at the top end.... if you want low ETs then its all at the starting line...

Wow, I wanna move to where you live if 260rwhp goes 12s! 12.90 on 230 rwhp, damn it just keeps getting better! If I move there I can run low 10s in my 08GT and high 6s in my 93 Fox! :handjob:

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, I wanna move to where you live if 260rwhp goes 12s! 12.90 on 230 rwhp, damn it just keeps getting better! If I move there I can run low 10s in my 08GT and high 6s in my 93 Fox! :handjob:
Justin Burcham ran a 12.51 @ 108 mph with a CAI and a tune. If that will go 12.51, 260 is enough to get you into the 12's. Stop being a dumbass. Dumbass.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
most of us need a bit more that that to get around 290-310hp,
especially in a daily driver at FULL weight...

but, that said, 300 hp in 3700lb daily driver w/ dr's on stock rims goes mid 12's all day.

JOK3R

forum member
Reaction score
Justin Burcham ran a 12.51 @ 108 mph with a CAI and a tune. If that will go 12.51, 260 is enough to get you into the 12's. Stop being a dumbass. Dumbass.

The main problem here is that a lot of people refuse to believe things because they cannot do it themselves. No one likes feeling "inferior" or not good as the next guy, so there will be all sorts of justifications for anything that is "out of the ordinary" to what they are used to or to what they can do themselves.

Anyone ever hear of a man named Bob Cosby? Go look him up.

310 rwhp in a 3100 lb. 99 Cobra.

11.1's on BFG drag radials and some very basic suspension.

back to back NMRA Factory Stock Champ.

I have 2 personal experiences to share.

A friend of mine ran 13.8 @ 99 mph in a bone stock (down to the paper filter) 1994 Mustang GT 5-speed. Saw it with my own eyes. He posted about it on Stangnet and he was ripped to shreds. Even had it on video and they accused him of altering it or the ET was off. People refused to believe someone could run that well in that car.

Another friend of mine bought a 2004 GTO LS1 the month they first came out. Bone stock he ran 13.0 @ around 108 I believe. A lot of people weren't getting under 13.2 on drag radials. He posted about it on LS1.com and he was ripped to smitherines and called a liar.

Some people are great drivers, and then some people are goddamn magical.

There's my drawn out 2 cents. :hi::beerdrink:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it's all in the driver...I think jok3r hit hte nail on the head.

but at one point in time, you will have two guys both driving tha fack out of the car and one will still be ahead of the other and that's where all these questions come into play and the disbeleif

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you? Do you know anything about fuel, timing, and getting the most out of an explosion? It does not matter how hot the fuel burns.

Octane is a fuels ability to resist detonation due to compression rather than spark. The tighter you compress your fuel, the greater the explosion, and the more power you make. Race fuel allows you to get more aggressive with your timing, allowing you to get closer to TDC at the time of fire, in turn creating more power at fire. If you have low octane rated fuel, you have to back the timing off, which has less compression, and makes less power.

This is a very well known, well documented science. Look it up.

Wes

forum member
Reaction score
Some truth all around and some misinformation as well.

I've done some dyno testing and talking with individuals far smarter than myself and come up with a couple articles comparing race gas vs 93 on one particular combo.

http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/2009/04/race-gas-a-study-at-the-edge-part-1/
http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/2009/05/race-gas-a-study-at-the-edge-part-2/

These articles just scratch the surface of a very complicated subject.

Like anything in racing, this is obviously not one size fits all but it will help you get some actual data and legit tech on why your power won't increase as spark advance increases (even in the absence of knock).

Wes

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Oh come on, Wes........don't fuck it up with FACTUAL DATA!!! I was sooooo looking forward to the retarded arguments that were going to ensue.

Damn...I can't have any fun.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Oh goodie.......a fuel argument.

I've got the beer.....where's my nachos? Nachos rule.

No arguement. It's science fact. Besides, I have way too much shit to do today. Just catching up real quick after being out of town for awhile.

No nachos here either. Plenty o' beer though.

Some truth all around and some misinformation as well.

I've done some dyno testing and talking with individuals far smarter than myself and come up with a couple articles comparing race gas vs 93 on one particular combo.

http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/2009/04/race-gas-a-study-at-the-edge-part-1/
http://www.tpsperformance.com/blog/2009/05/race-gas-a-study-at-the-edge-part-2/

These articles just scratch the surface of a very complicated subject.

Like anything in racing, this is obviously not one size fits all but it will help you get some actual data and legit tech on why your power won't increase as spark advance increases (even in the absence of knock).

Wes

Wes, thanks for the info. Good stuff.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am not trying to be an ass and definitely far from being a "know-it-all"......BUT, from what I gather and have learned is that our stock cars are more than capable of getting into the low 13's and high 12's. With all due respect, I know there are all kinds of variables and such..........................

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE DRIVER

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^Nice sig quote punk!! LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back