Getting S197's into the 12's

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The driver mod is always at the top of the list. A good track helps. I run consistant 12.30s at sea level. I also run at a local track with a 500 ft elevation and it runs 12.50s there but I have never been able to get my 60 foot times down at the higher track either. BEst 60 ever there was a 1.79. I run consistant 1.69-1.72 at the lower elevation track.

good to see variation/track/da.. I feel better about running in 12.3-12.5 midday State Capital in Baton Rouge in June. :thud:

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
BTW
whenever you feel like dragging your ass up to Massachusetts, ill race you in my car that has about 91+ less rwh and ill show you how bad you wasted your money on all those cams, springs, who ha's and what have it.. Cause it all means nothing if you cant drive your car LIKE ALOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW... IT IS WHAT IT IS....:tdown:
So what you are saying is that I wasted money on my cams and heads also? That's why there are S197s at the track with blowers that don't run like mine.

Hey! I have an idea! SHUT THE FUCK UP!

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
how many cars are there on here that are running 11s with heads and cams as the major mods?

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
how many cars are there on here that are running 11s with heads and cams as the major mods?
Mine hasn't gone 11's...yet. But it's not because the car can't do it. It's the fact that I don't have the time to make it to Beech Bend to do it. I went one time. The track temp was 30 degrees and I had a 2.09 60 ft. Ran a 12.48 @ 113. So yes, the car is capable but no, it doesn't do it.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Marc what track do you race at? You really should come out to the SSOTN event in November at Cecil. I would be happy to watch your passes and see if I can help you, you are welcome to make a pass in my GT if you want as well just to see how a different setup works. I went 12.8@108 on the stock Pirellis with 4:10s, Tune, JLT, pro 5.0 shifter, and mufflers. 12.6@107 on the same setup and worn Nitto 245 45 17 drag radials. 12.2@110 now with an alum DS, sway bar delete, LCAs, Catted X pipe and MT radials.

Hey Bill, I go to Mason Dixon and MIR most of the time. Getting together to help with my driving would be cool. I was talking to Art about getting together with him too.

I would like to see what the car can "really" do with a lighter and better driver. It would be interesting to see what another setup would feel like too.

I am going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks, but I can give you a buzz when I get back. Let me know when you think we can get together. It would be very cool. Esp if Art can meet up with us too.

2005+ Mustang GT with a stock short block 4.6L, NA, w/ heads and cams in the 11's? Like actually made the number? I would be shocked is there are 12 people/cars in the country.

Last edited:

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to see what the car can "really" do with a lighter and better driver. It would be interesting to see what another setup would feel like too.

Esp if Art can meet up with us too.

I highly doubt I am much lighter :) I am sure you are a decent driver too, it might just help having others around to give you some pointers based on watching at actual run.

It would be cool to get Art and John out too. John and I had some good runs last year and I know he upped his combo this season. Art has me covered for sure but I always drive better when I know the guy next to me is faster :evillaugh:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bill - have you seen pics of Mark? He's much bigger then you, unless you've grown since we were @ Island for that rental!

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt I am much lighter :) I am sure you are a decent driver too, it might just help having others around to give you some pointers based on watching at actual run.

It would be cool to get Art and John out too. John and I had some good runs last year and I know he upped his combo this season. Art has me covered for sure but I always drive better when I know the guy next to me is faster :evillaugh:

quality group right here... looking forward to running with ya'll in November :beerchug2:

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Bill - have you seen pics of Mark? He's much bigger then you, unless you've grown since we were @ Island for that rental!

No I can't say that I have but I walk around at 240-250 lbs so he can't be more than 100 lbs more than I am or I don't think he would physically fit in an S197 :) Figure that is only a tenth at most so there have to be some other things in play that can be corrected to get his time a little quicker.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hmmmm I didnt recall you being that big... but yeah IIRC Marc is still bigger then you.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

LOL, I know exactly what you mean... :beerchug2:

quality group right here... looking forward to running with ya'll in November :beerchug2:

:beer: Thanks bro. This is a good group of people. We are going to have a blast! :party:

No I can't say that I have but I walk around at 240-250 lbs so he can't be more than 100 lbs more than I am or I don't think he would physically fit in an S197 :) Figure that is only a tenth at most so there have to be some other things in play that can be corrected to get his time a little quicker.

LOL, no doubt. The inside of these cars are not meant for the horizontally challenged.

I am hoping you are right. A tweak here or there along with realizing some tiny thing I can improve could make a world of diff...

hmmmm I didnt recall you being that big... but yeah IIRC Marc is still bigger then you.

I got a few funny pics to post of me and a friend of mine playing at the playground with the kids...

BRB

qwikhuh

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Most people say that when I tell them what I weigh, I guess I carry it well lol Marc is bigger than me but that is not the problem. We'll figure it out.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

your going to?

Maybe I have to take some time off work to come play with the Na guys :hi:

I will get the car dialed in , in the mean time lol

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, where are you getting this stuff from? I dyno and track test every step of progress with my car. Here is my history

Step 3 - Later I used 103 oct race fuel, and really messed with the AFR and timing to get the TQ up. After messing around for weeks I got the rwhp up to 306 and the rwtq to 325. With that and gutting the car, I got down to 12.844. Unfortunately, race fuel is designed for high compression motors. The unburnt fuel cost me $250 to replace my plugs and O2 sensors. Not doing that every time I go to the track.

I'll tell you this, I have seen several people say they ran 13.1 or even 12.9's with intake, exhaust, gears and a tune. Shit I have seen people say they did 12.9 stock. However, every single one of those people refused to meet me at the track; all with a bunch of BS excuses.

The part about the race fuel in a naturally aspirated low compression motor tells all...
That says that you have very little experiance in drag racing...
If you have been around the game a while you should know that 87 octane makes more power but burns so much hotter that it causes detonation.

That being said you ALWAYS run the lowest octane fuel you can to make the most power with out causing detonation..

260 RWHP is enough to run 12.90's with at least a 1.7-1.8 60 foot and excellent driving...Notice EXCELLENT driving...that comes from seat time..

I've run 12.90s in a stock 91 mustang LX that made 230 RWHP running 3.55 gears but it was with a 1.6 60 ft and at 102mph.

Then more comparable I ran a 12.90 in my 97 Cobra with 271 RWHP, 3.73s, and a 1.8 60 ft..

Every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 at the top end.... if you want low ETs then its all at the starting line...

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
The part about the race fuel in a naturally aspirated low compression motor tells all...
That says that you have very little experiance in drag racing...
If you have been around the game a while you should know that 87 octane makes more power but burns so much hotter that it causes detonation.

That being said you ALWAYS run the lowest octane fuel you can to make the most power with out causing detonation..

260 RWHP is enough to run 12.90's with at least a 1.7-1.8 60 foot and excellent driving...Notice EXCELLENT driving...that comes from seat time..

I've run 12.90s in a stock 91 mustang LX that made 230 RWHP running 3.55 gears but it was with a 1.6 60 ft and at 102mph.

Then more comparable I ran a 12.90 in my 97 Cobra with 271 RWHP, 3.73s, and a 1.8 60 ft..

Every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 at the top end.... if you want low ETs then its all at the starting line...
You said it, it is harder to make it up on the big end.......

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back