Heavy Clutch Fix

Discussion in '2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech' started by coolt, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:00 AM.

1. coolt

coolt Junior Member

I have an '06 GT and the clutch effort is reminiscent of my '03 Terminator. I have read that the '15 up clutches are much lighter. Does anyone know if the '15 clutch/flywheel assemblies
    interchange?

2. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

Does your car still have the original clutch assembly? How many miles on it?

3. coolt

coolt Junior Member

Just got it, 70K, complete history unknown. Similar cars have the same heavy clutch.

4. Macman45

Macman45 Resident Geriatric

My 09 has a stupid easy clutch. Hard clutches Ive used are Vipers mostly. The mustang has an easy clutch. But to answer your question, I doubt the Mt82/coyote clutch interchanges with our 3V's

5. cavero

cavero forum member

My 06 had a really heavy stock clutch too, but an 08 Bullitt I drove was feather light. Don't know what the difference is, parts wise. But I think what Dino was getting at is that the more worn down the clutch is, the less mechanical advantage the fingers have, and the heavier the pedal is going to be.

When my clutch got to that point ( had 60k, lots of stop and go) I replaced it with a McCleod street pro, which even though it has more holding power was actually lighter than my stock clutch.

6. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

The stock 05-10 GT clutch is known to be heavy anyway but as the clutch plate wears out, pedal effort increases further. At 70k miles and with an unknown history, the car probably still has the original clutch assembly and there may not be much life left in it. Therefore it's a good excuse to upgrade. The choice of replacement will depend on the type of use, if you're planning to add HP increasing mods, and your budget. You'd also want to upgrade to a stainless steel braided clutch hydraulic line at the same time, and replace both the slave cylinder and pilot bearing.

7. Lime1Gt

Lime1Gt Junior Member

My 05 GT clutch got real heavy at around 30k if I remember correctly. Ended up pulling the trans and changing the clutch slave cylinder only. It was good after that. Sold car around 56k and clutch was still good.

8. travelers

travelers Senior Member

I believe the 3V motors are 6 bolt flywheel. The coyote is 8 bolt.