Heavy grime on rims

whitey09

Reaction score
How are you supposed to get the really heavy dirt and grime off your rims? The visible part of my rims looks nice but when i take them off to clean the whole rim, the inner part of the rim is covered in some really nasty brake dust and grime that i cant get off. I've scrubbed the F out of them but cant get them clean.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Comet, sponge and a scrub brush. Finish up with Lysol lemon liquid. If its caked on, dried up, "oily" grime, brake cleaner first.

What have you used so far?

whitey09

Reaction score
I've tried meguiars wheel cleaner on a rag, sponge, powerball, everything. It gets alot of the gunk, but they're still pretty nasty.
I know it's probably just an elbow grease thing but it's demoralizing when you're on your first wheel and your arm already feels like it's about to fall off.

Chronos

forum member
Reaction score
Try simple green or lime away to break down minerals or if it's an area that will never be seen, as a last result try carburetor cleaner. It is really harsh stuff, so NEVER use it on painted surfaces. Also be careful with the Comet, it will scratch paint, so make sure to use it on areas that will never be seen. If the gunk is really thick try a wire brush to dig into it.

slicksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Steel wool + easy off oven cleaner. (and RUBBER gloves)

Dont let the liquid make contact with the fronts of the rims. Betcha that will get your grime off.

KryptonKnight

forum member
Reaction score
Cleaning off break crap

Dawn dish soap is the very best grease cutter. I use a toilet bowl brush because I can bend it to fit through my 5 spokes and clean behind them with ease. I use to drive up on the edge of the curb and then wiggle under to clean the rims from behind. Mine are clear coated do I treat them just like the clear coat paint. If they are waxed well they will clean easier.

alexthejew

Jewish and lovin it.
Reaction score
Steel wool + easy off oven cleaner. (and RUBBER gloves)

Dont let the liquid make contact with the fronts of the rims. Betcha that will get your grime off.

steel wool? im scared to touch my american muscle rims with that! what would i do when i get my works? i use a degreaser/wheel cleaner and a rim brush. that seems to do just fine. even if i have been slacking.

825ltrgt

Reaction score
Simple Green works for me. Spray it on full strength and let it sit. Hose it off. Then use on old wash mit and get the grime off..if any is left.

Not bad on polished rims, doesn't scratch the clear coat.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back