Hood Painting Cost

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Getting the Cervinis Cobra R Hood. Could have Cervinis paint it for $550. Car's been painted before factory color by this same shop, but there's always variations.

Below are quotes for hood only and hood and fender blending. Both seem rather high but costs are going up with everything. Wondering if I should take my chances with Cervinis painting it and roll the dice on it matching. Or get quotes from other places. I'm in San Antonio, TX.

Hood Only

upload_2022-1-19_12-56-44.png

Hood and Fender

upload_2022-1-19_12-57-32.png
upload_2022-1-19_12-58-7.png

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At that price go with c/f and save some weight!

Yeah, thought about that, but the price will go even higher after prep/paint.

Pricing has gone up on everything. Are these from an independent shop?

Yes, one shop. Figured I'd go with them again since they painted the car a couple of years ago...but wasn't expecting that high of a quote.

Cervini's will need a lot of prep work, mine sucked out of the box.

So that could be worth it. This is at Bluebonnet Collision on I-35. Didn't you use Caliber before? Maybe I should get a quote from them.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Yeah, thought about that, but the price will go even higher after prep/paint.

Got it. I was comparing the total cost if installed in the finished c/f look, not also painted. I'm considering the most expensive c/f one currently available from a top manufacturer, shipped direct with $200 in s/h for $1650 total. Now doesn't seem bad after your paint quote!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
WOW, that shop is a WHORE lmao. Blending fenders AND tinting color? Blend or tint, pick ONE. Prep the hood for 3 additional hours? OMG. To strip and repaint a used hood, they should charge two thirds of full refinish time.
I have a metallic silver car, I had a Cervini glass hood installed. Shop did NOT blend fenders, got the color correct with tinting. One of the hardest colors to match.

A good shop should be able to do that for $500 give or take.
Hardware and fasteners? lol, corrosion protection? fiberglass does not corrode. Blending (if you decide to blend) does not require corrosion protection. Why would you mess with the fenders if you dont have to? Just spray the hood in the booth, car does not need to go in there. Less invasive the better. No need to R&I lamps and bumper that way. And he manually edited the 'book' time for the refinish. (underlined entries indicate editing of book time)
Vehicle scan not required. WTF is he scanning for putting on a hood? Geez

I do this for a living, go to another shop!

Ps: Estimate was prepared on CCCone estimating platform. Post the zip code for the shop, I can tell you what they SHOULD be charging per hour.

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got it. I was comparing the total cost if installed in the finished c/f look, not also painted. I'm considering the most expensive c/f one currently available from a top manufacturer, shipped direct with $200 in s/h for $1650 total. Now doesn't seem bad after your paint quote!

Yes, that's a good price ready to install. Just don't like the c/f look...then I'd have to do more panels, LOL.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
100% Truth. Their shit has gone down hill. any body shop that's ever worked with their products knows its lots of prep work to make it look right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Laga

Reaction score
I got a pre-painted hood from Cervinis a couple of years ago. It is a Mach I type hood for a 05. It’s not perfect, but pretty damn good. It took twice as long as Cervinis said it would. They are known for lying about delivery times. Get emails in advance on how to deal with any damage due to shipping during delivery. D562AD55-6F6E-4BC7-BFA3-4B04A223E5E3.jpeg This will help just in case.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I had my Shelby deep draw hood painted Ford UA black, prep, base, and cleared for $200 cash. Gave the shop the hood, 2 days later picked it up. They sanded and prepped. I had already test fit and was happy with the gaps, just wanted some things smoothed out. $200 later and it looks perfect.
Find another shop. Don’t paint your fenders. Don’t blend the paint.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

100% Truth. Their shit has gone down hill. any body shop that's ever worked with their products knows its lots of prep work to make it look right.

I got a pre-painted hood from Cervinis a couple of years ago. It is a Mach I type hood for a 05. It’s not perfect, but pretty damn good. It took twice as long as Cervinis said it would. They are known for lying about delivery times. Get emails in advance on how to deal with any damage due to shipping during delivery. View attachment 81274 This will help just in case.

James/EBA, did you guys have your hoods prepped/painted by Cervinis and had to get them fixed after receiving or prepped/painted locally?

Curious about having Cervinis prep/paint the hood and just ship it to my house. I get the color could be off, that's on me, but everything I've read is the hoods are prepped/painted well. $550 for prep/paint is tempting. I guess if the paint is off I'm out $550, but may be worth trying vs. shelling out $1800 on top of the $700+ for the hood. I'm also going to hit up a couple of other shops.

I had my Shelby deep draw hood painted Ford UA black, prep, base, and cleared for $200 cash. Gave the shop the hood, 2 days later picked it up. They sanded and prepped. I had already test fit and was happy with the gaps, just wanted some things smoothed out. $200 later and it looks perfect.
Find another shop. Don’t paint your fenders. Don’t blend the paint.

Thank you!!

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Silver is hard to match due to all subtle tints but red fades so its very hard to make it match

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have my stock hood still, I can tell you the body shop that does all my work was on raw hood #3 before getting one that was so bad. My duck tail was shitty 6yrs, and 2 years my rear lower valance was an abortion. All the original stuff from 05 was great.

If they prep and paint I would imagine at least the prep would be done right. so if the color wasn't prefect, you could have that redone fairly reasonable. It could possibly cheaper in the long run.

BTW I don't disagree the price seems high for painting the hood.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW, that shop is a WHORE lmao. Blending fenders AND tinting color? Blend or tint, pick ONE. Prep the hood for 3 additional hours? OMG. To strip and repaint a used hood, they should charge two thirds of full refinish time.
I have a metallic silver car, I had a Cervini glass hood installed. Shop did NOT blend fenders, got the color correct with tinting. One of the hardest colors to match.

A good shop should be able to do that for $500 give or take.
Hardware and fasteners? lol, corrosion protection? fiberglass does not corrode. Blending (if you decide to blend) does not require corrosion protection. Why would you mess with the fenders if you dont have to? Just spray the hood in the booth, car does not need to go in there. Less invasive the better. No need to R&I lamps and bumper that way. And he manually edited the 'book' time for the refinish. (underlined entries indicate editing of book time)
Vehicle scan not required. WTF is he scanning for putting on a hood? Geez

I do this for a living, go to another shop!

Ps: Estimate was prepared on CCCone estimating platform. Post the zip code for the shop, I can tell you what they SHOULD be charging per hour.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Had them paint it. Showed up off white. They said that it was the proper paint code, wouldn't fix the issue. It had to be stripped and then the edges fixed, lines were way off. Cervinis hoods are 15 lbs heavier than the stock hood

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Had them paint it. Showed up off white. They said that it was the proper paint code, wouldn't fix the issue. It had to be stripped and then the edges fixed, lines were way off. Cervinis hoods are 15 lbs heavier than the stock hood
An example of another duchebag shop IMO.
It is truely amazing the extreems I see at work, but there are basically 4 types of shops.
Parts hangers, dont fix shit. Always want new OEM sheet metal.
The OK shops, fix some, will use alternate parts, fair prices. (This is the largest group).
Shops who take pride in fixing everything instead of just hanging parts. (This is the smallest group)
And the whores who jack the price up with "fluff". And are usually difficult to deal with because they are losing 'gravy' when the fluff is removed from their estimates.
Yes, I understand business and making money to stay in business. A lot of these shops see insurance as free money. And it is done all virtually anymkre. And guess what, the system is not too difficult to exploit. While the push to have AI write estimates is real and is hear today. Good thing its nowhere near 'ready for prime time'. lol

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Average market rate for zip code is $50/hr labor, $38 for paint.
So he is $10 over market. So yea, definite whore shop.
Note: they are not bound by that, they can charge whatever they want, but should be charging 50 and 38.

Hood R&I, strip old hood, color tint, refinish, finish sand and buff, i come up with $650 for a fair estimate in that market area.

Last edited:

1ohiostang

Reaction score
I was quoted 700 this summer for doing a glass hood by a local shop. With my car being black how bad could Cervinis be?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back