How Much Does It Weigh?

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
arrr,arrrr,arrrr,arrr....tig welder! Honestly, though, I don't know how much weight you'll save going to CM over the DOM, since this is really a pretty basic bar. One piece hoop, diagonal, the two harness tubes, and two rear brace tubes. It's a great excuse to buy some neat toys, but if it only saves you 10 or so lbs, I don't know if it's worth it from a cost/benefit standpoint. I would guess on around 35' MAX of tubing, you could look up the weight differential and price differential. For reference, I paid around $575 delivered for the bar. There has been a price increase since, but...

To copy that bar in .095" wall seamless 4130 would probably run $250 in raw materials...and then $2000-3000 for a nice TIG rig and $1000ish for a basic tubing bender and notcher..worthwhile investment to save 10-15# I'd say! :beerchug2:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
The NASA CCR specs the following:

2501-3000 lbs:
1.500” x 0.120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.095” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages 04/30/03)
*Note- Specifications listed for reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

3001 - 4000 lbs.
1.750” x .120” Chrome-moly / Seamless mild steel (DOM)
No ERW allowed.

Unless you're building the Mustang out of unobtanium, I think you're stuck with 1.75"x .120" tubing...

And I agree with you, the $4K for tools only makes sense. Think about what ELSE you'll be able to do! Tube chassis, full cage...

usmcpony

forum member
Reaction score
My whole car weighed in at 3240 with me in it

I weigh 140-145 lbs

:)

How accurate are these scales? Do you know if they calibrate them for professional races? You deff. have the lightest S197 I have ever seen if its accurate.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How accurate are these scales? Do you know if they calibrate them for professional races? You deff. have the lightest S197 I have ever seen if its accurate.

They use those scales all the time for races... I would say it's acurate

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got a set of Proform Scales for a customer, Just letting everyone know there are not the expensive. Comes 4 scales for each tire, digital read out and can weigh up to 1250 lbs each corner. Even comes in a nice carrying bag

Here is the part number for them #67650

For you diehard guys ;)

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
When I was a member of a different car forum, they made "levels" of weight reduction with a complete list of what needed to be removed/replaced and tutorials on how to do it. That would be excellent if someone could write that up.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I was a member of a different car forum, they made "levels" of weight reduction with a complete list of what needed to be removed/replaced and tutorials on how to do it. That would be excellent if someone could write that up.

How much more do you want us to do for everyone lol? we already weighed everything individually :thud:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually you know what.... I will make a staged list for weight reduction just because I am a nice guy lol

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here are a few stage's that I created. The final weight at the bottom of each stage is including the parts that needed to be added. If you want to know what each part weighs, look at the master list. I made these stages on my own if you don't like what I have done then fly a kite lol

I named them the Matt D special because I took the time to figured the numbers out :hi:

Here is a few that I have done, more stages to come ;)

Matt D’s Special Stage 1 Weight reduction

Remove – Spare tire, jack, trunk mat , trunk panels , Rear back seat (top and bottom) , driver/passenger floor mats

-68lbs off the car

Matt D’s Special Stage 2 Weight reduction

UPR race control arms (not for the faint heart), Remove sway bar and brace (must add sway bar delete will also remove plastic o.e.m belly pan in the process), Rear seat hardware including rear belt device’s, 680 Odyssey battery, remove full windshield fluid tank

–61lbs off the car

Matt D’s Special stage 3 weight reduction

Racecraft k-member kit with a-arms and motor mounts, kooks long tubes with off road x-pipe, Steeda charge motion plate deletes, Remove Ac compressor, lines and add ford racing ac delete pulley, Corbeau Fx1 pro seats with seat rails (you will loose power option)

-111 lbs off the car

Matt D’s Special stage 4 weight reduction

Bogart 15x3.5 and 15x10 Race rims with 26x4.5x15 et front and 26x11.5x15 et street rears

-88lbs

total of -328 lbs with all 4 stages

Last edited:

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
Matt how do you like the racecraft k-member kit?

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
Wow thanks Matt, Hopefully I can knock off 200 lbs without sacrificing ride quality or ac.

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
Kind of random... when I was putting my gears in this week I found out that my panhard bar is filled with something. I am assuming sand. Maybe for sound deadining???

My 08 didnt have it but the 2010 does. I didnt have a scale to weigh it though.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kind of random... when I was putting my gears in this week I found out that my panhard bar is filled with something. I am assuming sand. Maybe for sound deadining???

My 08 didnt have it but the 2010 does. I didnt have a scale to weigh it though.

My 05 panhard bar has sand in it too, they all do. Not sure why your 08 didn't

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back