How to remove pass o2

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me get the passenger front o2 out. I've tried going at it from the top with one of these after removing the battery and tray:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1_4300&keyword=o2+socket&pt=N2546&ppt=C0195

going from the button with a big 7/8 wrench. I can't get it to budge and may be stripping. Any suggestions/tips? Am I doing something wrong? Help!

Car is a 2011 gt.

Edit: Do I need to remove the starter?

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Remove whatever it takes to get it off. I remember when I put headers on my '06 it was a bear to even get to it to unplug the wires. GOOD LUCK!

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Remove whatever it takes to get it off. I remember when I put headers on my '06 it was a bear to even get to it to unplug the wires. GOOD LUCK!

I was hoping for some direction from someone who had done it before on this model.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
I was hoping for some direction from someone who had done it before on this model.

is it just not moving? Can you get the socket on? If so I'd spray it with penetrating oil and a nice fine tooth ratchet can't hurt either, those are awesome in tight spots. FWIW it was a total pain in the ass on my 05 and I used 3 wrenchs bent different ways to get it off. Have not done it on an 11 though.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
is it just not moving? Can you get the socket on? If so I'd spray it with penetrating oil and a nice fine tooth ratchet can't hurt either, those are awesome in tight spots. FWIW it was a total pain in the ass on my 05 and I used 3 wrenchs bent different ways to get it off. Have not done it on an 11 though.

Pretty much. I've loaded it with pb blaster and coming from the top(removed the battery and tray) with a o2 socket on it. I can't get it to budge. Wasn't sure if there was an easier way I don't know about it.

A friend came over and helped me and finally got it. Breaker bar + a pipe from below. UGH. The wiring harness was almost just as hard... way back on top of the tranny.

Last edited:

hctr154

Reaction score
Pretty much. I've loaded it with pb blaster and coming from the top(removed the battery and tray) with a o2 socket on it. I can't get it to budge. Wasn't sure if there was an easier way I don't know about it.

A friend came over and helped me and finally got it. Breaker bar + a pipe from below. UGH. The wiring harness was almost just as hard... way back on top of the tranny.

I've been wanting to get an O/R X pipe, but hearing stories like this is kinda discouraging. Did you have an auto tranny? Seems like there is less room with an auto vs. manual.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine came right out with no issue. Try tapping on the nut part of it, then try removing it. Light steady pressure should get it moving. Trying to force it is when things go bad.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I've been wanting to get an O/R X pipe, but hearing stories like this is kinda discouraging.

The OP is talking about the front O2 which is located on the stock header and is still mounted on the engine. That is usually more difficult than removing the ones on the mid-pipe.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
The OP is talking about the front O2 which is located on the stock header and is still mounted on the engine. That is usually more difficult than removing the ones on the mid-pipe.

This. The midpipe ones were easy.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion with stuck exhaust stuff. TIGHTEN the thing just a touch before you undo it. This breaks the thread interface and 9 times out of 10, it'll wind right off. I used to do this when rebuilding turbo hot sides; nothing is more stuck than the nuts and bolts on those.

hctr154

Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification. Hoping to get my O/R X pipe soon.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I remember trying to get the O2 sensor off of my dad's IROC (they only had 1 on the car back then). I don't think they ever replaced it until I was getting annoyed by the CELs it was throwing.

Anyways, ended up getting that Oxygen Sensor socket, tightened it a bit to break the rust, sprayed WD-40/penetrating oil in, let the car warm up, sprayed a bit more oil in, and then it finally came out. Each step listed we would try to loosen it, but it was being quite the bitch to come off. Definitely had anti-seize on the new one when we put it in (was shipped that way as well).

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
7/8" wrench and go at it from the bottom. Having the cat or or O/R exhaust pipe out of the way is what you need to do. Removing the starter will not help.

Curious, why you are needing to remove/replace?

travelers

Reaction score
You will probably need to heat the bung with a torch to get it out. I had to do that when I pulled my old exhaust to install the headers. I also did that twice last week on Chevy trucks. They back right out.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
+1 on the heating it up. Get a mapp gas torch and heat the bung. Not red hot, but keep it on there moving it around the bung for a minute or two. The heat expands the metal and helps free up the sensor. Avoid heating the sensor also

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score

Got it out on 11/22. Congrats!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back