I'm done with these *** damn Hot Rod cams...looking for alternatives

texas_outlaw

Reaction score
Alright, so I have been chasing driveability, idle, and transmission problems since Christmas due to these frickin' POS Hot Rod cams. I am DONE with them. But in keeping with mod fever, I'm NOT done with the gains given by a set of bumpsticks. This time around, I'm fine with VSR or SPR cams. Comp has a 127400 SPR cam that peaks my interest because of the following description:

Stage 1 - Powerful cam with great idle, excellent upgrade over stock. Good torque
down low with powerful mid-range.
Solid power gains above 4500 rpm, requires spring
& phaser upgrade. Custom tuning required. Stock gears & converter OK.

However, I can't really find any information about the driveability and performance of these cams. A couple of questions for those who may have said info.

-> Will these cams give a decent boost in power with stock heads and intake (i.e. as good or better than Hot Rods...25 rwhp or so)?
-> Can anyone speak to these cams' idle characteristics and if these things will wig out my auto tranny the way the Hot Rods do?

Thoughts, opinions, advice?? Thanks!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the 127500s and upgraded springs. Car is a beast, ran 12.19 twice in a row...stock heads and shortblock...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the stage 2 vsr cams (127300) with stock heads and driveability and idle are like stock, made 332rwhp on a dyno tune, with 3.55 gears and 9:1 compression. These suckers pull hard from 4K to 6800 where they start to level off.

And yes vsr and spr cams will make more peak power than nsr hot rods. The only benfit to hot rods is sound and mid range gains that some of comp cams lack.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I think I would find a new tuner if I were you. Thousands of people have installed the HOT ROD cams with no issues with the proper tune. I doubt it is the cams that are causing your problems. Just my 2 cents.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I would find a new tuner if I were you. Thousands of people have installed the HOT ROD cams with no issues with the proper tune. I doubt it is the cams that are causing your problems. Just my 2 cents.

There are also hot rod owners that have tried 2-3 tuners and they just dont run right. Every car is different. Granted this is good advice, another solution would be try a different style cam as well.

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
127300's here; a pile of 12.0 slips from last year...

BUT,
staying N/A, 127400's would be a great choice

Bullitt3478

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe check out Brenspeeds new Detroit Rocker cams, supposed to retain stock drivability with decent power gains and a great lopey idle.Check out their website they have videos on there of them on a stock GT.Also makin a F/I cam as well. Just an option.

texas_outlaw

Reaction score
I have the stage 2 vsr cams (127300) with stock heads and driveability and idle are like stock, made 332rwhp on a dyno tune, with 3.55 gears and 9:1 compression. These suckers pull hard from 4K to 6800 where they start to level off.

And yes vsr and spr cams will make more peak power than nsr hot rods. The only benfit to hot rods is sound and mid range gains that some of comp cams lack.

I thought the 127300s had a "noticeable idle". That's the problem with the Hot Rods: the idle. It causes the PCM to see an engine overspeed or underspeed condition and wigs out the tranny. If I weren't holding out hope and holding back pennies for a wicked 50th anniversary Mustang in 2014, my car would already be E-Forced. :D

I would agree it is a tune problem. However, I have worked with five different tuners. Revision after revision with no effect gets old very quick. This has been going on since mid-December of last year. After 25 or so tunes, I'm done. I like the cams, but my car doesn't. So, I'll move on to something different.

127300's here; a pile of 12.0 slips from last year...

BUT,
staying N/A, 127400's would be a great choice

My plans are to stay N/A with this car. I absolutely LOVE stump-pulling, low-end torque. My '68 2+2 has a 351W with a Buddy Rawls cam that puts out over 300 ft/lbs to the wheels from 1,800 to 5,200 rpms. I would love that kind of broad, flat torque curve for this car. And I don't plan to spin the engine past 6,000-6,200 rpms, so I would like a cam that performs well in the low- and mid-range.

Thanks for all of the input and advice. :clap: Keep it comin'!!

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
id advise just dumping aftermarket cams altogether and putting stock cams back in...if your car doesnt run right with FRPP cams, i doubt its gonna be any different with another cam.

i agree with trying another tuner...i see your car was tuned by wes @ tps...was this done in person or via email? my buddy was working with a very reputable shop via email tunes and they never could get his driveability down...it wasnt until he ponied up (pun) the $ for a good custom dyno tune that his shit was set straight

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
cams

small comp cams 127200's nsr !! great little cams ran 12.2@110 with them ! definetly think it may have a 11 in it .

soon to be blown with these cams!

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
Maybe check out Brenspeeds new Detroit Rocker cams, supposed to retain stock drivability with decent power gains and a great lopey idle.Check out their website they have videos on there of them on a stock GT.Also makin a F/I cam as well. Just an option.
hotrods also retain stock drivability when tuned right. brenspeed has a advantage over ford racing, brenspeed can send you a tune for the detroit rockers. to me the rockers seem the same as hotrods.

G

GTStang08

get a new tuner...1 guy i know had the same issue...he couldnt get it...so he sold the car...dont blame him at all

Hufen

forum member
Reaction score
I see you're in Katy, have you tried any local tuners in the Houston area?

texas_outlaw

Reaction score
I see you're in Katy, have you tried any local tuners in the Houston area?

From what I understand, the only tuner worth a hoot is PSI Motorsports down in Webster. I have called every day for over a week with no callback, and the shop hours are M-F from 8-5. Neither of these items are customer-focused or customer-friendly, so I'm stuck with mail order or a drive somewhere. :(

what issue are you having exactly? no low end street drivability?

The issue is that I have to pick between good performance with tranny problems or so-so performance without tranny problems. I have two tunes that would be perfect if I could combine them. One tune runs outstanding unless it's cold outside (below 55* or so) or in low-speed driving situations (neighborhood, stop-n-go, etc), which causes major idle fluctuations that set off the tranny. The other tune has no issues with idle or tranny lights, but performance is very lackluster, especially in the midrange.

I talked with Chris @ Bama/AM, and he swears that his tunes are the magic tunes for which I am searching. I loaded the his race tune this morning. We'll see how the week goes.

Hufen

forum member
Reaction score
Psi did all of my work. Patrick has no problem tuning cams that's for sure. My cars there right now getting some work done. He's always out in the shop and his phone is indoors, the best way to get ahold of him is to email him, usually gets back with you at lunch.

Chris

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back