Inquiring about RST/RXT information 2011+

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
It shudders... 3+ seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically that means I am guessing that even at most low rpm launches you don't get shudder unless you have a rarity that requires it slipping longer than normal. Slipping for 3 seconds is a bit long.

Thanks for all the info.

Bad06stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have had an RST in my 13 for about 5k miles now and its an amazing clutch. Like everybody else it vibrates around 1700rpms but drives like stock, and had lighter that stock pedal feel. From now on any car I plan to mod the first thing im going to do is throw a mcleod in

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I had the same considerations when building my Bullitt. I went with the RST and was very happy with it. The 'vibrations' mentioned were more of a rumble telling me that the drivetrain was not happy lugging along in high gear at 1700 rpm. Either downshift or speed up. I'd rather run at 2200-2300rpm instead of 1700-1800 rpm anyway. My engine seemed to respond better at least.

This^^^^^

The RST is a pussycat on the street. Great clutch. It doesn't get any better.

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
The lowest I take off at is around 1.5k (typically closer to 2k), the clutch likes a faster slip.

If I try to sit there and slip the clutch slowly at low rpm, then yes it will shudder. Expected with the more aggressive material, but it is easily avoidable.

With my experience with the RXT, I would still choose it over the RST given that it still has plenty of street manners and better holding power.

I have the un sprung kit (MCL-6923-07) and heavy steel flywheel.

Wondering about something. Where on the pedal does the clutch actually "grab" so to speak. Like stock clutches do it at either the bottom about touching the floor or in the middle just a little bit above the bottom. I read somewhere that some people were saying that this clutch engages at the top only? Not sure about that. If it is true it sounds like a pain to get used to that.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Wondering about something. Where on the pedal does the clutch actually "grab" so to speak. Like stock clutches do it at either the bottom about touching the floor or in the middle just a little bit above the bottom. I read somewhere that some people were saying that this clutch engages at the top only? Not sure about that. If it is true it sounds like a pain to get used to that.

It all depends on how the slave is shimmed.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
When I first installed mine it was engaging near the top, which concerned me. But after a couple weeks it was engaging right in the middle of the pedal travel, just about perfect.

Maybe we all need to just tell you to skip buying the McLeod. you've been kicking it around for 2 weeks now looking for reasons and excuses to not like it. My guess is that you will have your mind made up not to like it before it ever gets installed, so therefore any minor little tiny thing will convince you it's a POS and you need to replace it with something else. Just save yourself the hassle and buy something else to begin with.

Brick

forum member
Reaction score
bumping this back up to make a decision for Lethal's upcoming 20% off sale...

Has anyone driven both the unsprung and sprung hub versions of the RXT? The sprung *should* be a smoother engagement with less chatter, but is it worth the extra ~$400 over the unsprung? Would using the heavy flywheel make the unsprung more streetable over the lightened steel?

Unsprung (6932-07): http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-mustang-v8-gt/05-09-mustang-gt/transmission/clutches/mcleod/mcleod-96-98-mustang-rxt-11-street-twin-disc-clutch-26-spline.html

Sprung (6975-07M): http://www.lethalperformance.com/shop-now/vehicle-selector/ford-svt-gt500-shelby/2013-2014-shelby-5-8-l-gt500/2013-shelby-gt500-transmission/clutches-1/clutch-kits-1/mcleod-1/mcleod-2010-2012-gt500-sprung-hub-rxt-streettwin-disc-clutch-kit-clutch-only.html

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
IMO people that have a hard time with aluminum flywheels are pansies.:flamingdevil: I always run lightweight aluminum and have never had any drive-ability issues. None, zero, zip. I would never consider a "heavy" steel flywheel.

Last edited:

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I guess I'm a pansie. Billet steel Mcleod flywheel here. Never had an issue either. Car sees the track every Friday

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Saleen has an RST. Boss has an RXT. No complaints or problems with either.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back