Is it just me? (5.0 +boost speculation)

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
Coming from the recent success with the VQ37 and seeing the craziness the F20 engines in the S2000's can make with boost.......am I the only one who wants to see a competent tuner get their hands on a boosted 5.0 (maybe twin turbos like all the cool guys! :O!)

Using pump gas people have gotten ridiculous numbers out of a high CR engine, I'd imagine running 8-10 psi through the new 5.0 would be enough for close to 600 whp with some good tuning.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most of the s2k guys pushing over 400hp go with a thick head gasket to lower the compression a bit. We are all excited about this motor it is just a waiting game

Vashthe3rd

Maximum Trolling
Reaction score
Most of the s2k guys pushing over 400hp go with a thick head gasket to lower the compression a bit. We are all excited about this motor it is just a waiting game

yea I knew they went with a better head gasket, but still a very minor thing to change considering the power some of those guys are making. I'd probably consider changing the studs too on the new GT if I found myself at that cross roads.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
10lbs boost on 11:1 cr is gonna make less power from the starting point than 10lbs on 9.7:1. Granted you will make more power n/a with the higher compression so when u add the boost u will be adding power to a higher hp application.
For exapmle 10lbs of intercooled boost on a 300hp 3v with 9.7:1 cr make about 150hp = 450hp
10lbs of int boost on a 415hp 4v with 11:1 cr will make around 100hp = 515hp.
Just look at the higher compresseion gm applications that add blowers, they make alot less hp per boost.

And judging by the internals in the 5.0 it looks like 500-550hp will be the most those internals will handle safely. So i would go for better rods/pistons as well as head studs.

And as stated adding a thicker head gasket will lower effective cr and if you mill the heads u can up compression.

Last edited:

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
10lbs boost on 11:1 cr is gonna make less power from the starting point than 10lbs on 9.7:1. Granted you will make more power n/a with the higher compression so when u add the boost u will be adding power to a higher hp application.
For exapmle 10lbs of intercooled boost on a 300hp 3v with 9.7:1 cr make about 150hp = 450hp
10lbs of int boost on a 415hp 4v with 11:1 cr will make around 100hp = 515hp.
Just look at the higher compresseion gm applications that add blowers, they make alot less hp per boost.

And judging by the internals in the 5.0 it looks like 500-550hp will be the most those internals will handle safely. So i would go for better rods/pistons as well as head studs.

And as stated adding a thicker head gasket will lower effective cr and if you mill the heads u can up compression.

How do you figure lower compression will make more power boosted than a higher compression? Only way I can think of is if you have to cut back timing due to such a high compression ratio?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
How do you figure lower compression will make more power boosted than a higher compression? Only way I can think of is if you have to cut back timing due to such a high compression ratio?

+1 I would think a higher static compression means higher dynamic compression with x amount of boost. More pressure equals more potential power if the octane is right. I'm curious as to why a lower compression motor will make more power as the same amount of boost a higher compression engine.

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Typically, unless you run nitrous, you will want to lower the compression.

As an example, you can make more power with 10:1 compression and 12 lbs as opposed to 12 lbs and 9.1:1, but it's riskier running more boost on higher compression engines, especially with pump gas.

We typically recommend 9.1:1 for a 3V with a twin screw or turbo and 9.7:1 for a a 3V with a centrifugal (depending on boost levels).

Displacement also makes a difference. Lately, we've been doing a lot of 2010 Camaros. The manual trans cars are 6.2L, plus have a compression ratio of 10.7:1. Stock they make around 370 RWHP. With a 2.3L supercharger at 8-9 lbs. and a CAI these cars will make 550 RWHP and if you add exhaust and a small cam, you can pick up another 100 RWHP.

We're hoping to see great gains like this with the 5.0L!

-Rick

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. Im just stating what ive seen for gains with boost on the high compression gm motors. once u go past a certain point usually around 8 lbs the high compression starts hurting the power gains as u turn up the boost as well as cause fuel and spark blow out problems.
As said above lower compression favors boost and u can run more boost and safer power lowering the compression.

Im curious to see the hp gains on this 5.0 with its high compession as well, Not sure how these things are gonna hold up with the 9-10lbs boost most like to run.

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i was always under the impression that low compression allowed for more timing to be thrown with the boost. higher compression would still make the same power but with lower timing. also higher compression will spool up a turbo faster. i have friends who are making over 500whp on a stock k20a2 in a rsx and those motors are 11:1. there was even a guy in texas that made over 700whp on a stock s2k motor and those are 11.1:1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUFFudEJnjk

Last edited:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I wonder how many s197's had piston failure. If everything but these are forged then maybe it can handle a little beating. Maybe I can do the dons challenge on a 2011 gt :)

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
i was always under the impression that low compression allowed for more timing to be thrown with the boost.

You can but generally speaking people who up the boost till knock threshhold make more power than people upper timing until knock threshold. Frankly speaking there's just more power with boost than timing.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that nitrous is going to see a surge in popularity again when the new 5.0 hits the street.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back