JPC Cams tested, Dyno sheets inside

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question. But I thought most cams provided lopey idles?
Not when you have VVT on both the intake and exhaust cams.
Usually the lope comes from overlap, thats not a problem when you can adjust the overlap out. The only way I see a serious lope would either it being on purpose (yah... :handjob:) or the duration being so large that there is not enough VVT adjustment, which I dont think will be necessary with the rev limitations of this engine.

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
Usually the lope comes from overlap, thats not a problem when you can adjust the overlap out. The only way I see a serious lope would either it being on purpose (yah... :handjob:) or the duration being so large that there is not enough VVT adjustment, which I dont think will be necessary with the rev limitations of this engine.

:thumb:

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
Eric do you guys work in hand with RGR as well when designing and machining the cams like you did with your cylinder heads?

Yes he has been our goto engine guy for many years. We have put together alot of winning combos over the past 10 years. Rich really pushes the to be one of the most innovative engine builders in the performance industry. I couldnt imagine working with anyone eles on projects like these.

mustang_fan

Reaction score

LOL. THat is awesome. I got education and comedy in 1 post.

Yeh i have never owned an american muscle car before this 5.0. Seemed like everyone went gaga over the lopey sound. so much so Ford even programmed the boss 302 track key to produce that sound.

I still have yet so much to learn.

I am not looking for the loudest car anyway. My mission is a daily drivable car that can run low 11s without slicks. Leaning toward 1st getting vortech kit. then after a few summers, upgrading pullys, adding JPC or equivalent cnc heads, cams, boss 302 intake mani, larger throttle body, and custom tune. But the plan is fluid at the moment.

Last edited:

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
LOL. THat is awesome. I got education and comedy in 1 post.

Yeh i have never owned an american muscle car before this 5.0. Seemed like everyone went gaga over the lopey sound. so much so Ford even programmed the boss 302 track key to produce that sound.

I still have yet so much to learn.

I am not looking for the loudest car anyway. My mission is a daily drivable car that can run low 11s without slicks. Leaning toward 1st getting vortech kit. then after a few summers, upgrading pullys, adding JPC or equivalent cnc heads, cams, boss 302 intake mani, larger throttle body, and custom tune. But the plan is fluid at the moment.

If your plan is to run a daily driver without slicks into the 11's... then stop at the vortech. you have accomplished that goal...

mustang_fan

Reaction score
If your plan is to run a daily driver without slicks into the 11's... then stop at the vortech. you have accomplished that goal...

Eventually to run a smaller pulley and custom tune on vortech, i should at least upgrade pistons/rods no?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Eventually to run a smaller pulley and custom tune on vortech, i should at least upgrade pistons/rods no?

It would be ideal to swap pistons and lower CR if more than 10#s....Or run racing fuel

Im not sure how well the OEM rods hold. They seem sufficient... Its the CR that kills ya on that motor with boost.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
It would be ideal to swap pistons and lower CR if more than 10#s....Or run racing fuel

Im not sure how well the OEM rods hold. They seem sufficient... Its the CR that kills ya on that motor with boost.

I will have to disagree there.

Static compression vs. dynamic compression play a larger role. Not necessarily the advertised CR.

It boils down to cylinder pressure.

Beefcake's motor explosion was a result of detonation. Wrong gas for the tune or some unknown. I think it would have survived without issue otherwise.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score

Static compression vs. dynamic compression play a larger role. Not necessarily the advertised CR.

Beefcake's motor explosion was a result of detonation. Wrong gas for the tune or some unknown. I think it would have survived without issue otherwise.

I agree 100%
Just look at s2000s, people will run 15+ psi on a stock bottom end (11.0:1 CR)
The reason they can get away with it is the radical NA cam profiles which although are not good for spooling a turbo, decrease the dynamic compression ratio enough to allow for quite a bit of boost.

We have the benefit of using VVT to lower our dynamic CR so we can run some real boost. That being said, that it probably would be better to have a lower static CR and more ideal cam timing, but the VVT tuning is cheaper and certainly effective.

Last edited:

KonaGT

forum member
Reaction score
I think you mean dynamic. Cam timing events affects dynamic compression.

Is RGR, Rich Groh?

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score

I agree 100%
Just look at s2000s, people will run 15+ psi on a stock bottom end (11.0:1 CR)
The reason they can get away with it is the radical NA cam profiles which although are not good for spooling a turbo, decrease the static compression ratio enough to allow for quite a bit of boost.

We have the benefit of using VVT to lower our static CR so we can run some real boost. That being said, that it probably would be better to have a lower static CR and more ideal cam timing, but the VVT tuning is cheaper and certainly effective.

Im not saying compression kills motors guys, it certainly doesnt, and I understand that detonation caused Beefcakes failure. Detonation is the evil link to any motor, built or stock, and tuning plays the most vital role when avoiding that. You can run high compression applications under boost without any isses. It all goes back to timing, fuel, heads, cams...etc. Every single component plays a vital role in how the engine acts and performs.
He can run the higher 11:0 compression with boost and stay alive, but you must compensate in other spots, whether it be alternative cams, timing, fuel, headwork...etc. These new motors are plenty durable for larger power levels than that of the 2005-2010 3V 4.6. Its just gonna take some time to get all the adjustments for aftermarkets products in line.

The 5.0 is the chevys new kryptonite :evillaugh:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Im not saying compression kills motors guys, it certainly doesnt, and I understand that detonation caused Beefcakes failure. Detonation is the evil link to any motor, built or stock, and tuning plays the most vital role when avoiding that. You can run high compression applications under boost without any isses. It all goes back to timing, fuel, heads, cams...etc. Every single component plays a vital role in how the engine acts and performs.
He can run the higher 11:0 compression with boost and stay alive, but you must compensate in other spots, whether it be alternative cams, timing, fuel, headwork...etc. These new motors are plenty durable for larger power levels than that of the 2005-2010 3V 4.6. Its just gonna take some time to get all the adjustments for aftermarkets products in line.

The 5.0 is the chevys new kryptonite :evillaugh:

No doubt! :thumb:

Khell

Reaction score
Wasnt the guy from SpankinTimes pushing over 15 #'s on stock bottom end and making over 700 rwhp with the KB? He did end up popping it but it wasnt do to the boost. Something to do with the new harmonic balancer he put on broke the crankshaft or something along those lines.

Justin@JPC

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hi guys to answer the question in regards to using the stock valve springs. We don't add any lift with our cams since they are regrinds, the cams actually have a little less lift than stock. We did add duration though and the camshaft lobes have a more aggressive ramp. So while it might be a "little" harder on the valve spring than teh stock cam profile, high rpm gear changes or sustained high rpm abuse would be the valve spring killer, before the valve springs demise from the camshaft profile.

Normal turn around once we receive your cams is 5-7 business days, but we are loading up on cores as we speak to do better with an "exchange" program. Meaning we are trying to keep the cams in stock, so upon you placing your order we can bill the "core charge" up front and ship the cams same day. When we receive your cams, we refund your credit card. Sound simple right? :)

Now, there are aftermarket companies working on billet cams as we speak. In comparison, the aftermarket cams will most likely require valve springs because of added lift and more aggressive profiles. The billet cams will also retail at $1500 and ours are $899. Not to mention the cost of valve springs and possibly retainers. Changing valve springs will be a task, which =more labor=more $. The pros to the billet cams will most likely be "lope and possibly/most likely more hp" , maybe. :)

Personally, if we could turn more than 7700rpms, I would be itching to try a more aggressive cam, but at this time we cannot. I think what we can supply now will work great for most street/strip cars. I would like more lope as well, but we can't have it all at this stage of the game. I'm hoping soon, that "idle lope" can just be done in the tune and then you can have the best of both worlds.

So far we have made ZERO tuning adjustments to the cammed 2011's that we have done. Not to say we haven't played with cam timing to maximize gains. :) So no worries about having your local shop install these and driving the car home. :)

Thanks JB

Back