Keep breaking wheel studs...

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
I think it had more to do with harmonics then force, the drive shaft was steel so it wasn't light. Take a 5lb weight and spin around with it in one hand. I know that will pull me off center and I weigh 200 lbs. Before I was doing 1.7 60' ft times on a 325 DR, and didn't break them. That was all with the 3.31's and MT-82.

The vibration got pretty violent at about 80 mph I'll upload a picture of the drive shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it had more to do with harmonics then force, the drive shaft was steel so it wasn't light. Take a 5lb weight and spin around with it in one hand. I know that will pull me off center and I weigh 200 lbs. Before I was doing 1.7 60' ft times on a 325 DR, and didn't break them. That was all with the 3.31's and MT-82.

The vibration got pretty violent at about 80 mph I'll upload a picture of the drive shaft.

I understand that concept--but at the same time I bet that driveshaft was only out of balance by a few ounces, not 5 lbs.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think as heavy as this drive shaft is, it was more than a few ounces. It weighs almost as much as the stock one.

If it were more than just a few ounces, you'd of eaten up universal joints faster than you'd break wheel studs. The RPM's D/S's spin at means more than a couple ounces will see either the center carrier bearing torch itself, the D/S U-Joints break or the diff pinion seal start leaking in very short order.

I'm still not convinced the D/S was the cure. Time will tell though.

sixohtofiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update, I've got over 1100 miles in on this road trip and I haven't had any problems yet. I still have to head back home to the frigid north.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, but replacing the driveshaft did not fix the stud breaking issue. You might have replaced the driveshaft, and you might not be having an issue with breaking studs anymore. But that doesn't mean they are cause and effect.

The right axle is not connected directly to the ring gear. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier. The axle splines fit into the spider gears, which are inside the carrier and are driven by clutches. One axle does not receive more torque than the other under normal circumstances.

Just a question - were you lubricating the studs? Lug nuts are designed to be torqued while dry. Adding any lubrication or anti-seize to a lug nut or stud is a VERY bad thing, causing you to easily overtorque them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back