LS swaps on these cars are way easier than you think.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Nice job

What ecm?

What trans?

Beats the hell out of that brutal V6

Stock p51 ECU/wiring harness, 4l80

The things I had done to my 4.0 was letting it beat stock 3v's but yeah this should take it up another level.

The 5.3 is only temporary too, I have a 6.2 for it that will be worried about after the 5.3 is moving

You don't LS swap non-GM cars.
/end discussion

Oh, okay.. then tell me why 3v engine mounts bolted the engine in?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
LS swaps into classic and Fox Body Mustangs were made easier by the compact nature of the pushrod OHV design and were popular because they're inexpensive, reliable, widely available, and lightweight (all aluminum). Nowadays the 7.3L Godzilla not only offers a much bigger displacement (and with it more HP/TQ potential), but it's a Ford thus avoiding this engine swap being labeled as sacrilegious, and it also fits between the strut towers of the same aforementioned Mustangs.
Credit to @smartass_garage for performing an LS swap into an S197. I don't know of anyone else who's done it so it's certainly unique.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Stock p51 ECU/wiring harness, 4l80

The things I had done to my 4.0 was letting it beat stock 3v's but yeah this should take it up another level.

The 5.3 is only temporary too, I have a 6.2 for it that will be worried about after the 5.3 is moving

Oh, okay.. then tell me why 3v engine mounts bolted the engine in?

I bet the same reason the 10 speed bolts up to both or I think it does.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
LS swaps into classic and Fox Body Mustangs were made easier by the compact nature of the pushrod OHV design and were popular because they're inexpensive, reliable, widely available, and lightweight (all aluminum). Nowadays the 7.3L Godzilla not only offers a much bigger displacement (and with it more HP/TQ potential), but it's a Ford thus avoiding this engine swap being labeled as sacrilegious, and it also fits between the strut towers of the same aforementioned Mustangs.
Credit to @smartass_garage for performing an LS swap into an S197. I don't know of anyone else who's done it so it's certainly unique.

Godzilla is a great engine, as well as the coyote.. but they're also pretty damn expensive

This swap including the car will have cost me less than $5k but that's mostly because I'm doing everything myself.
Great write-up! Expect haters. And then remind them the 10 speed auto in their F150/Mustang/Explorer is a GM/Ford mash-up. :)

Yeah the A10 was developed jointly between Ford and GM, amazing trans

I got my 4l80 for free though, hard to beat that haha

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Godzilla is a great engine, as well as the coyote.. but they're also pretty damn expensive

This swap including the car will have cost me less than $5k but that's mostly because I'm doing everything myself.

Yeah the A10 was developed jointly between Ford and GM, amazing trans

I got my 4l80 for free though, hard to beat that haha
A real ROADKILL project. Although sometimes I do think they go too far.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
OMG, another "I swapped it for under $5000".
:LMAO:

I bought the car for $3500 from my Mother who was the original owner in 2017, in 2020 she passed away.

I got the engine complete for $400, trans for free and 8.8 for $300.. I wasn't exactly bragging about doing it for under $5k, I was merely making a point

But go on, since you're looking for a reason to attack my build because you got personally offended due to your brand humping

"NOOOO YOU CANT PUT BRAND ENGINE IN BRAND CAR THATS BAD!!!!"

Such insanely stupid logic, it's insufferable

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with complete running $400 LS engine. I know the Roadkill crew loves them. They also like the very last roller cam 427s for about $500. So who knew Ford had a car assembly plant in Pittsburgh 100 years ago? It's now a medical center for UPMC. I want to see how much you guys really know about good old Henry Ford.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Do you also have gay sex? Its sex to some....

Just because it can be done, doesnt mean it should be done.

Ps: I was not offended at all.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with complete running $400 LS engine. I know the Roadkill crew loves them. They also like the very last roller cam 427s for about $500. So who knew Ford had a car assembly plant in Pittsburgh 100 years ago? It's now a medical center for UPMC. I want to see how much you guys really know about good old Henry Ford.

I grew up and live in Metro Detroit in a Ford family, my first car was a 93 Cougar.

The Cougar blowing the head gasket due to Ford's poor design was the reason I know how to work on cars today.

This Mustang is the 2nd Ford I've owned, and I've already gone through two 4.0's in it due to timing component failures (including a Cloyes timing set with less than 10k miles on it).

I am personally not a fan of Ford drivetrains due to my experience with them.

I fell onto a damaged 6.2 that had a cracked piston from a delivery on demand lifter collapsing which leaned out #4 and that started my journey with this.

When the 2nd 4.0 blew up, I decided it was swap time and found a stock known running 5.3 which I scored complete for $400

The 6.2 will be getting more in upgrades than I've put into the entire swap alone, along with a good converter and shit too.. this isn't a "as cheap as possible" build.

My goal for the 6.2 is 550 n/a to the wheels and able to take a 200 shot, I want it to beat a stock hellcat.

The 5.3 is staying stock and I'm selling it once I pull it out for the 6.2

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Do you also have gay sex? Its sex to some....

Just because it can be done, doesnt mean it should be done.

Ps: I was not offended at all.
Bet you didn't know good old Henry Ford had a car assembly plant in Pittsburgh 100 years ago.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
A Ford man since the 90s, and this is your 2nd Ford? Seems strange.
I have nothing agains the LS. I dont mix brands, personal rule.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Bet you didn't know good old Henry Ford had a car assembly plant in Pittsburgh 100 years ago.

I didn't but it doesn't at all surprise me considering the huge amount of steel manufacturing there, he really tried to keep all manufacturing localized and controlled.. part of the reason why Zug Island was turned into what it is

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back