LS swaps on these cars are way easier than you think.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
LS engines (and Hemi engines) with cylinder deactivation are notorious for suffering lifter failures. The earlier generation LS engines that didn't have cylinder deactivation were practically bombproof.

Yep haha, which is why I'm deleting DoD on the 6.2

My 5.3 doesn't have DoD thankfully, was from a 2003 Silverado, gen4 rods are stronger but mine are gen3 most likely (could have gen4 I just forgot to look when I replaced the oil pan)

07silvergt

Reaction score
Left bone stock and maintained they run practically forever. The non vct ones even more so (simplicity has its benefits).
Ps: its not the modding/hop up that shortens their life, running them hard does ;)
I say its lack of maintenance that does it. I've run my car hard with my daily driving, I've taken it to the track, taken it north in the winter and up logging road. However, its gotten all it's oil and filter changes. I also think the daily running has been good for it.

Flusher

Reaction score
LOL, I think a Prius EV deserves better than that. How about a Chevy 572ci Merlin Big Block? ;)

All my big blocks are relegated to marine duty.

Couldn't find a BBC Prius, but I could live with this

That would be bad ass, I'm pretty sure someone Hellcat swapped one already
Found it! Indeed badass.

You might also enjoy

I kinda like

Last edited:

Joe combs

Reaction score
I would be good with putting an LS into a japanese car or a tesla or something that I think would be improved by adding a reliable V8. I wouldn't put it in a Ford.
And to the defense of Ford engines, my 4.6 has never been opened up and has 595000 (370,000 miles) km on it.
In this situation when you are wanting more performance than the 4.6 is going to give you in N/A form, it is a logical cheaper swap. Ford gave us a better platform in 2005, but the 4.6 3v engine itself isnt one that is going to give you nice horsepower gains with basic mods that dont break the bank.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LS engines are a lot easier and cheaper to make power with over any modular engine. You cant compare an LS pushrod engine to a 302/351w, just not a fair comparison.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
In this situation when you are wanting more performance than the 4.6 is going to give you in N/A form, it is a logical cheaper swap. Ford gave us a better platform in 2005, but the 4.6 3v engine itself isnt one that is going to give you nice horsepower gains with basic mods that dont break the bank.

The LS is undoubtedly more responsive to N/A bolt ons than the 4.6 3V, but you can still extract ~50rwhp from the 3V with basic bolt ons and ~75rwhp with basic bolt ons plus cams. The latter gets you up to 340-345rwhp with 325-330rwtq, equivalent to 385-390hp & 365-370lbft at the crank. Pretty good for a little 4.6 but its relative lack of cubes limits its HP/TQ potential unless you boost it.
If you want more N/A power, swapping in a bigger displacement engine is a logical choice. However you could build the 3V with forged internals, billet oil pump gears, throw some boost on it, and aim for 800+rwhp without going through the hassle of an engine swap. So many choices. :D

Last edited:

BAD3VLV

Reaction score
Mine was a 2003 z71 Avalanche without the dod. Every motor I put in it had lifter and oiling issues. I went to a 2012 fx4 3.5 ecoboost and Ive never had an issue with the motor or tranny. Its got 212000+ miles on it now, running 38" tires and will gap a stock 5.3 chevy.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Prius sucks, I dont care if it has a bigblock. Still a prius.

Flusher

Reaction score
Prius sucks, I dont care if it has a bigblock. Still a prius.

You're correct, but that is not the point. When you sit in traffic for five hours a day, watching Prii driving by in the HOV lane (15MPH under the posted speed limit), I just dream about smoking by them, just slow enough so they can read the Carpool Access stickers.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry, cannot relate. I dont sit in traffic. WFH for the win!

Flusher

Reaction score
Sorry, cannot relate. I dont sit in traffic. WFH for the win!

Some people are just lucky like that. Some are even luckier with the paid vacation, earning more than they did in their non-essential job, compliments of covid19.

Hopefully you never have to face getting forced into taking a vampire job with the alternative being losing everything. I feel that I did what was best for my family. Do you feel that if you lost everything in the next 15 minutes, you could pull it together so that you don't lose everything?

I sincerely apologize that you don't like the little fantasies that I indulge in, to keep myself from going crazy. I'll try harder to come up something more satisfactory.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, fantasize away! I dont mind. But much like LS swaps into fords, just say no to a prius! Now a bb in a chevy cruize or cavallier, thats cool in my book. :)
How about a mid engine coyote powered focus?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back