LS swaps on these cars are way easier than you think.

Reaction score
I've tossed up the idea of swapping everything from a 340 Mopar, SBC, BBC, Coyote, LS, 5.4L CNG, to even the engine out of my 08 GT500.

Transmission swap options included A833, TH400, or TH700R4. What I really want is a Lenco or Jeffco.

I guess it is all fair game for me. I like the 05-09 S197 body style, but all it really does is hold up the paint. My GT500 is different, I would only consider a later AL 5.4L, AL Coyote, or leave it alone.

P.S. I'm dreaming more and more about an LS swapped Prius EV.
Actually, the paint on the 197s takes a lot of abuse because of the way the nose is shaped.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
View attachment 78051 View attachment 78051
At least you will be able to see out of that Camaro.
Which is good as the worst part about not being able to see out of a camaro is that it forces you to look at its horrid sea of shitty plastic interior. You wouldn't want to put a seat belt cutter safety tool in a camaro as you would only be one bad day at work away from using it to slit your wrists from having to look at that horridly executed abortion that GM puts inside of those cars.

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Trans is a Coan built TH400 which when coupled with the JPC TH400 crossmember it bolted right in with no modifications at all.

Damn that's good to know but I went with 4l80 because I wanted overdrive and didn't want to mess with a gearvendor

FYI bob hanlon makes a plate that will bolt the TR-3650 GT transmission to your LS engine.

Yeah my car had a T5 transmission otherwise I probably would have tried to keep the TR3650, technically could probably have made the T5 work but already blew one up with a v6 and didn't want to relive that.

I've seen that car before online, I remember there being some specialized reason why they did this because of the state they live in. In Michigan where I live there are zero vehicle inspections or emissions testing, it's pretty enthusiast friendly just don't have window tint without a prescription.

...and an S197!

Is that LS3 or LS7 based? I can't tell

I can't wait to put my 6.2 in, that's going to take the car to such a next level.

I'm dreaming more and more about an LS swapped Prius EV.

That would be bad ass, I'm pretty sure someone Hellcat swapped one already

smartass_garage

Reaction score
Are you registered for Mustang Alley? It's officially a go this year!
I'm in for two.

Not this year, car might not be ready by then.. most likely next year though!

I went through 3 5.3's on a stock work truck along with 3 4l60's. Total freakin garbage motors.

My 5.3 was from a fleet truck with religious oil changes, the frame rotted and failed inspection in Canada, it has like 280k miles and when I pulled the valve covers the engine looked new.

The 5.3's with DoD like to blow up though
I like it. Having done several mixed-breed engine swaps myself I respect your efforts. Nice work!

Thanks! I could have it slapped together by now but trying to take my time and do everything properly, attention to detail adds up to a lot of time

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
LS engines (and Hemi engines) with cylinder deactivation are notorious for suffering lifter failures. The earlier generation LS engines that didn't have cylinder deactivation were practically bombproof.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
So let me see if I can sum.this all up.
Ford makes good transmissions (toploader), good rear ends (9 inch), and a body style thats liked over the competitions offerings. But Ford engines "suck" and not worth using.
The competition makes the best engines, but all else they make "sucks".
Do I have it correct?

Aerofinz

Reaction score
So let me see if I can sum.this all up.
Ford makes good transmissions (toploader), good rear ends (9 inch), and a body style thats liked over the competitions offerings. But Ford engines "suck" and not worth using.
The competition makes the best engines, but all else they make "sucks".
Do I have it correct?

Who's post stated "Ford engines "suck" and not worth using"?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Or maybe not? Anybody I talked to in the past who decided to put GM engine in a Ford, #1 reason was it is cheaper than a Ford engine. The engine itself, maybe. But then you have the added costs of making it fit and function.
Food for thought.

Joe combs

Reaction score
Or maybe not? Anybody I talked to in the past who decided to put GM engine in a Ford, #1 reason was it is cheaper than a Ford engine. The engine itself, maybe. But then you have the added costs of making it fit and function.
Food for thought.

For the 05-09 GT you got a whole 300hp... the 6.0 in the car my friend is using was also rated at 300hp... a camshaft for it is $365, for the 4.6 3v your twice that and you dont get the HP in the 4.6 that you do in the 6.0. With a set of 799/243 heads you will pick up some more power... the 4.6 3V you dont have that option. Ever looked at how easy it is to make a LS run with the factory ecm setup... a cpl wires and your are in business.
As for a ford engine a coyote swap isnt cheap, a older small block ford maybe, but thats not a simple bolt in either, then as you state making it all work.. and how many decades has it been since ford made a toploader trans...

07silvergt

Reaction score
I would be good with putting an LS into a japanese car or a tesla or something that I think would be improved by adding a reliable V8. I wouldn't put it in a Ford.
And to the defense of Ford engines, my 4.6 has never been opened up and has 595000 (370,000 miles) km on it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Left bone stock and maintained they run practically forever. The non vct ones even more so (simplicity has its benefits).
Ps: its not the modding/hop up that shortens their life, running them hard does ;)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back