Lunati VooDoo #21270700 Camshafts

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
This is a Lott to digest. I had to read through it twice to follow your progress. Amazing how several little things add up. Thanks for posting.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
This is a Lott to digest. I had to read through it twice to follow your progress. Amazing how several little things add up. Thanks for posting.
No problem....this is what I believe is the purpose of a BBS like this 1....to post pertinent data that can assist someone else that owns 1 of these vehicles.

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted...…………. And the older these cars get the more important this kind of info will become as more & more folks are buying essentially 10yr old or older cars so there'll be a LOT more wore out stuff to deal with that gets passed on to another owner (like me for an example as I bought mine w\ 139,438 mi on her already but I expected to find some stuff wrong or bad...a lot of folks won't touch 1 of these cars w\ this many miles on them but I am blessed to have an automotive background to be able to deal with\decipher these issues, just needed a little technical knowledge to be able to effectively deal w\ the more modern aspects) that may not register but needs to have attention drawn towards.

Thru all this, what I've found is the importance of having & using the right diagnostic tools that can unlock a LOT of data & potential w\ these computer controlled modern Mustangs, make it available to the general Mustang owner to use to help maintain, repair & optimize total car reliability & performance & reduce operational cost of ownership while increasing the fun factor of owning a Mustang......

I've also found out that it is very easy to create more trouble than otherwise by using techniques\products that were fine on the older, less sophisticated vehicles thinking they will be fine used w\ these newer vehicles......depending on the technique\product, not so much.

Example: Using dielectric grease on modern COP coil boots. This would work just fine on the old, distributor driven ignition systems as these systems are lower voltage system designs due to engines then tending to run rich AFR's so those ignition systems don't need the necessary spark energy to fire a plug under compression so you could get away w\ using this grease to make removal of spark plug wire boots easier. But nowadays w\ cars being much more fuel efficient (meaning they are designed to run using much more lean AFR's now) which requires a much higher voltage ignition system to fire the same plug. The COP coils are MUCH more potent & have much less energy loss to the plug due to proximity but spark plug gaps are much wider to better ionize the leaner AFR's so by using this same product w\ these COP coil designed ignition systems you're setting yourself up for potential trouble (misfires) you wouldn't have if this same grease isn't used at all, as well as the plug design used w\ them (smooth porcelains are more prone to misfires than a ribbed design & the plug core resistor's resistance value is also more important). Those Champion 9406 plugs are a damn good plug but don't use dielectric grease w\ them due to the smooth porcelain design AND the plug center core resistor value is higher than the MC plugs (tested at 6.92K-7.66K vs 3.97K-4.20K for MC HJSC-24FP OEM plugs which also have ribbed porcelains to increase misfire resistance...IOW's are DESIGNED to work w\ these COP coils w\o any thing else put on them) making them very prone to misfiring as the COP coils generate so much more voltage energy, if anything gives them a lesser resistant path to fire than the spark plug gap it's going there & since this grease is silicone-based which has an affinity to adsorb moisture which is good to protect low voltage electrical contacts from it but not so good to insulate a high voltage ignition system since this moisture resides on the silicone film's surface (gets there due to air exchange within the spark plug well from heat cycling as these boots are vented & will get worse as AAT's get lower) so can provide another path for the spark energy to get to the spark plug shell since the boot ends come in close proximity to the shell (1/2" or less). Also read the description on any of the actual packaging of this dielectric grease as opposed to any online or book description of the same grease to ensure that you're not being duped into buying or using it w\ modern high voltage ignition systems as most of what I've found out since my issues is that the vast majority of actual package descriptions of this grease may not mention ANY usage of this stuff w\ spark plug boots or high voltage COP ignition systems....only on low voltage electrical connections (24v or lower) so be careful of the "marketing" that you read.....

I found out the hard way as I've always used WD-40 for this in times past (it is formulated to displace moisture & not be electrically conductive thus it is truly dielectric w\ any electrical usage including ignition systems) but since I read that this PFTE grease product I had bought to use to lube poly bushings is "dielectric" (and have seen YouTube videos of others using this type grease w\ these COP coils) I ASSUMED it was good for this use...……….
An unnecessary set of COP coils & 2 sets of ruined plugs later I now know it isn't good for this use...…… Only good thing is that I now have a known good spare set of original MC DG-521 COP brown boot 12mm ignition coils that just need this grease cleaned out of the boots & springs to "fix" them...…...

I just bought a small jar of ACDelco brand dielectric grease that proves my point as the actual package description doesn't say anything about using it w\ any ignition systems much less these modern high voltage systems but read the Amazon online description of the same product...….

This time I bought it for it's intended purposes (I focused on the actual package label shown by the pictures of the product instead of on the written description given in Amazon & the reviews folks gave to make this decision this round)...….and it ain't for spark plug boots either...……….

I know there are lots of folks who use this stuff on the very same systems w\ some success that will swear it's good...........

All I'm doing is posting my experiences along w\ some pertinent data I found\learned along the way on this BBS to strongly suggest otherwise concerning this product & it's use w\ these type ignition systems. You don't have to take my word on this....check for yourselves.

The rest is story telling to give context to my experiences w\ my car around these Lunati VooDoo #21270700 cams & the data from running them that is shared\given......as I found no info on these cams on this BBS so I thought I'd share the experiences I've had w\ them to date...……..

So far they show to be an excellent set of cams to give some HP\TQ increase vs OEM but also drive as well or better than OEM to give an excellent all around performance envelope, especially if supported w\ the right supporting mods (which can be said of ANY camshaft grind...) & properly tuned to extract it....... Some day I hope to find how well they may work under FI.....

After that it's up to the reader to decide...........

:beer:

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
FYI...……...

So now that I've found all the unmetered air issues on the induction side of my engine the last side to smoke test is gonna be the exhaust side....the focus is NOT the exhaust past the cats but the exhaust from the end of the mid pipe back towards the engine where the O2 sensors are to ensure that there are no exhaust leaks around the header exhaust ports, weld seams, O2 sensor bungs & any pipe joints ahead of the O2 sensors that could allow unmetered air to enter & throw off the O2 sensor readings, especially when the exhaust is cold. Headers are good for scavaging improvements to assist air induction BUT can also assist unmetered air entry into any leaks due to the same dynamics & skew an O2 sensor's readout to the PCM...

Don't wanna have to do it as this is far more involved labor wise, it's cold outside & I'm not no spring chicken anymore (to do this right I have to put car in the air...on jack stands (I'm hurting already just thinking bout that)... then drop the catback exhaust pipes to expose the mid pipe then hook up smoke machine to 1 side then block off the other then hope like hell that the header flange areas are sealed (the hardest areas to fix while they are installed w\ an OEM K-member still used...lack of room to access the header bolts...mine are installed using the OEM SS exhaust studs\serrated nuts instead of header bolts since Kooks headers are designed to allow use of the OEM exhaust hardware w\o modification & AM didn't include them when they shipped them to me so my local Ford dealer used new OEM exhaust hardware to install them....which has been excellent to date as I haven't found 1 loose that I can get to but...……., also makes these headers a REAL PITA to R & R), I haven't heard\saw any signs of exhaust leaking but this can be misleading if the "leak" is small enough so since I've gone this far checking stuff on my ride, to stop & not follow thru here is potentially leaving any potential issue(s) on the table so after I get the EVAP system replaced I'll get myself hyped up to do this to finish covering all the bases here along w\ the other stuff & I'll post what is found.

Then we'll look to revisit the engine performance w\ these Lunati VooDoo cams again...…...

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Update:

While waiting on my replacement EVAP system to come in (shipping delayed due to weather conditions...may get in Monday) I did get my replacement VCT solenoids (2-FoMoCo 8L3Z-6M280-B) in Friday (also were shipping delayed due to weather conditions) so I got all situated & started tearing her down to pull, inspect & replace both VCT solenoids. Started w\ the passenger side 1st due to this side having more crap to hold out of the way to R & R the valve cover. Inspected this side & noted all looks good. Pulled VCT solenoid & here she is:
IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0167.JPG
Note outside of the plastic screen retainers starting to spread apart (note the gap where the ends come together...not supposed to be) all looks good. Note pass side head is very clean, all head side VCT ports are clean w\ no trash in them & all followers are tight w\ the exception of 1 intake on #2 cylinder (slightly loose) & 1 exhaust on #1 cylinder (also slightly loose) but no visible evidence of roller wear or cam lobe contact on follower body so most likely the lash adjusters had leaked off just enough w\ engine not running to allow the 2 followers to move. Installed new VCT solenoid & reinstalled valve cover after prep. Reinstalled all components & wiring to complete the passenger side before moving on to the driver side.

Got all tore down & DS valve cover pulled & this is the 1st thing I found:
IMG_0171.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0173.JPG
A broken follower on 1 of the intake valves on #7 cylinder! Never heard it even w\ a mechanics stethescope run over the valve cover several times so was never audible. From my data this had to have broken around mid November when the misfires started showing up (#7 cylinder consistently showed the most recorded misfires thru the Mode 6 Misfire Monitor) when I started checking all this after getting a MIL....this follower may very well have been broken before then but the data doesn't support this (last dyno run before this showed up was on 10-8-19 when car made the most HP\TQ & all was just fine then w\ no issues). I most definitely wasn't prepared for this. Found the front half of follower w\ roller still in it sitting in valley area below valve spring under cam lobe (cam lobe cleared it so they never touched)….valve spring retainer has a scuff line across it but is otherwise undamaged & valve is also undamaged....moves freely & isn't bent & rear half of follower was still sitting on lash adjuster w\other end also laying in valley area below cam lobe (cam lobe cleared this piece as well so they also never touched)….this is weird due to cam lobe having absolutely no damage on it anywhere at all so it appears that this cam follower had to have snapped in 2 either during a startup before engine fired up or snapped in 2 during engine spin down when shut off (note on top of broken follower in wheel area that there is no evidence of cam lobe coming into contact w\ the follower body indicating roller bearings had failed prior breakage). Lash adjuster was not hurt either....checked using a mirror & outside of a minor scuff on top edge of adjuster body where the front half came down off valve & struck it all looked good...no cracks or marks anywhere else & lash adjuster spins freely in bore as well as moves up & down in bore so lash adjuster was never struck by cam lobe & isn't stuck in bore & head is undamaged....all good.
This explains why the VCT was slow during low RPM's during WOT hit on the dyno on 12-27-19 after we datalogged car thru a cold start & found the issues we fixed that morning (noted in post #48) as w\ a broken follower the now unloaded lash adjuster plunger doesn't have any load on it to set oil flow control so the lash adjuster was just spraying oil in a continuous stream lowering the engine's oil pressure enough to slow the VCT response to PCM commands until the engine RPM's came up to around 4500 RPM's which the oil pump's output was enough to counter the unloaded lash adjuster's leak off rate to return the lost oil pressure to the VCT solenoids thus cam phasers so HP\TQ returned to normal curve line & held from there on.

We dodged a big bullet here as this could've gone south in a very bad way....but we ain't done yet. Pulled the VCT solenoid afterwards & this is what came out w\ it:
IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0176.JPG
Note the 2 round pieces of some thin metal that were lodged in w\ the lower screen port of the VCT solenoid.....I haven't a clue as to what that is or where it came from. From my understanding of the oil flow routing once oil exits the oil pump it couldn't have come from the oil pump as it would've been captured in the filter & past filter the oil flow goes straight to the DS camshaft towers to lube the cam journals so oil flow into the front cam journal cap then flows into the camshaft thru the cam phaser bolt to unlock the cam phaser locking pin (to ready phaser for operation) then flows into the VCT solenoid to load the cam phaser vane chambers to hold cam at 0* while unlocked (VCT solenoid is in dithering mode...feeding oil to both sides of vane chambers) so the only thing I can think of is that those 2 pieces of metal came out of the oil filter itself (some metal flashing from the stamped perforated metal tube in center of filter where oil comes thru filtering media thru center metal tube to exit filter...they have the shape, thickness & diameter of that tube's metal after being perforated) & lodged in the lower screen port of VCT solenoid & caused a flow restriction thru the lower port as both pieces sitting side by side would restrict the entire lower port in the head. Checked ports in DS head & found all to be clean w\ no more trash in them so I installed new VCT solenoid. Then got on the phone to my local Ford dealership to inquire if they had any cam followers in stock for these 4.6L 3V's & they did (guess this is 1 part that they keep in stock due to these failing so often, mostly in the 5.4L Triton 3V's as there are a LOT of these being run in trucks in the oil patch up here) so I went there to pick 1 up. When I got there the parts lady had 1 sitting on the counter waiting on me. I looked at it & quickly noted that this is the latest upgraded design (FoMoCo 3L3Z-6564-A) w\ the improved oil squirt hole:
IMG_0178.JPG
That squirt hole is very small compared to the original design & is aimed at the roller\cam lobe contact interface instead of aiming up at the cam lobe to put more oil volume to the cam follower roller's needle bearings under velocity due to small port. This will also raise the oil pressure\volume output to the rest of the engine as less oil volume is needed to lube the follower roller bearings & cam lobes. So I asked them how many more they had...had 3 more so I got the 4 they had (about to close). Got back home (starting to get dark) & got out my RBS spring compressor tool & pulled the other 2 followers off of #7 cylinder & replaced w\ the new followers so #7 cylinder has all new cam followers installed (kept 1 as a spare). Rolled engine thru 2 full revolutions to ensure all was sound w\ followers on #7 cylinder then reinstalled DS valve cover after prep. Put all back together & fired her up after hooking up my scan tool to monitor thru the cold start since KAM will be reset (pulled batt & batt tray to facilitate PS valve cover R & R) & quickly noted that B2 STFT wasn't showing to be heavily lean when they came online as it was before (B2 STFT % between 12%-15% then comes back down to normal after ECT >82*F)….this lean on B2 was actually #7 cylinder getting leaned out during cold starts from unmetered air being drawn thru the valve guide of the now stationary cold intake valve since no oil was being thrown to it to seal the valve stem seal so #7 wasn't misfiring per se, it was not getting good combustion due to being excessively lean so power pulses were off to CKP sensor until the cylinder warmed up enough for the stationary intake valve stem\valve stem seal to expand enough to seal off & stop the air leaking thru the valve guide then the engine ran fine even though #7 was breathing thru only 1 intake valve so this cylinder was not getting sufficient air\fuel filling so was running weak & setting the misfire counter off counting false misfires. B2 STFT never went above +3.9% (both initially went negative so both B1 & B2 were getting unmetered air thru #7 cylinder's non-working intake valve guide) while running & got better as the valve's valve stem seal started sealing better once it started getting engine oil from an operational cam follower now! Engine ran very smooth & most importantly.....VERY QUIET (outside of the injector cycling)!!! Let engine get up to full hot idle @ 197*F....engine was still very quiet so it appears that we got our lost engine oil pressure back! So now I don't have to smoke test the exhaust as this is verified resolved now...…...YEAH BUDDY!

Took her on a short test drive....engine response is very good but since I used my Foxwell NT301 scan tool to monitor the PCM (can't see VCT operation among other things) gonna whip out the laptop & FORScan to look at her later. Parked the car & picked up\put away all tools, junk & trash for the night (getting cold...).

So I'm gonna leave her as is for now (had to get her drivable to move her from under the car port to get Lincoln back there for wife...had surgery & can't move very far & she's got a couple of doc appoints early next week) until I order the rest (ordering 22 1st thing Monday morning so I'll have 2 spare followers when done) then I'll pull the valve covers again & replace all except #7 cylinder so it looks like I won't need to do a full timing job after all....just replace all the cam followers as the lash adjusters are OK & working good.

Checked all the rest while I had all open....chains were still tight w\ no slack on the tensioner side (or load side either), no visable guide wear on any guides (I looked down thru the front cover w\ my flashlight), tensioners were like new & top end was very clean, cam phasers were in good shape w\ both tone rings straight & tight so the front timing components are in near new condition so once I replace all followers w\ these new upgraded ones the operating oil pressure should come up approx 10-12 psi more due to the smaller oiling squirt holes in new cam followers.

Now gotta go as my back is hurting me something fierce...……...

Getting there!

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You certainly dodged a bullet there Dale so I'm glad you found the broken cam follower and VCT solenoid before they could do some catastrophic damage. I wonder if the cam follower failed through simple metal fatigue due to the high engine mileage.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have a couple of simple questions GlassTop09 about that misfire data.
What does the wideband (if you have one) read at a dead cold startup BEFORE the PCM enters closed loop?
And would running the "Neutral profile correction" with the cams installed have fixed those misfires seen by the PCM during warmup?

I also use Forscan to monitor the PCM and change tire size. Much quicker than having to reflash the PCM for just swapping tires.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
You certainly dodged a bullet there Dale so I'm glad you found the broken cam follower and VCT solenoid before they could do some catastrophic damage. I wonder if the cam follower failed through simple metal fatigue due to the high engine mileage.
That is the only logical conclusion I could come to myself, Dino.

The Lunati VooDoo #21270700 cams have a max cam lobe lift of .222" when corrected for the OEM cam follower lift ratio of 2.025. At the same follower lift ratio the OEM cam lobe max lift is only .217". The lash adjusters will easily absorb that small of a lift difference (.008") due to their 0* lash design so the valve spring force to the followers will essentially have been the same as the OEM cams & engine has never been out of time so piston-to-valve clearance is also ruled out (these Lunati VooDoo cams are fully VCT compliant so the only way to get piston to valve interference is for the engine to jump physical time...& the VCT range in the tune is set to max out at 20* instead of the OEM 60* so even makes this less) so the only cause that I can come to is strictly metal fatigue....which is why I'm not gonna operate her much over 2500 RPM's while driving....if I drive her at all....before I get the rest of the cam followers replaced.
Now you can't see it in the photo of the 2 cam followers but on the OEM follower there is a slight casting imperfection on the follower body on the "lower" side just out of sight (I'll take another picture to show what I'm talking bout)….this is the same area where the broken follower's break started as well. When I pulled the exhaust follower out & saw that casting flaw then noted the same area on the still good 1 then I pulled the other intake follower & noted the exact same thing I also can see that this might have a bearing on this as well but in fairness this is just speculation on my part.

But yes, the 152,984 mi on them w\ all the stress & heat cycling has to have had a factor in the failure as I couldn't see or find any evidence of any other action that could have played a part in accelerating the failure, not even the roller itself (which is the usual 1st indicator from all the YouTube videos of these things failing).

Close call...……………..

PS--Here is the picture of what I was referring to...……..
IMG_0179Paint3D.png

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I have a couple of simple questions GlassTop09 about that misfire data.
What does the wideband (if you have one) read at a dead cold startup BEFORE the PCM enters closed loop?
And would running the "Neutral profile correction" with the cams installed have fixed those misfires seen by the PCM during warmup?

I also use Forscan to monitor the PCM and change tire size. Much quicker than having to reflash the PCM for just swapping tires.
I don't have a WB installed Juice so I can't say on that...…………... I do have a Zeitronix ZT-4 Dual WB Controller system on hand for when I ever do go FI but haven't installed it yet. PS--Now if you're referring to factory WB operation as in a Copperhead PCM I'm assuming it is controlled in the same manner.....got a thought, I'll check for this on the wife's 09 Lincoln MKS as it is equipped w\ factory WB's.

That is the factory calibration procedure that I typed about that is used by Ford thru their IDS software at assembly plants to initially calibrate the misfire monitor then this data is written into the PCM's non-volatile mem when vehicles go thru testing & prep for shipping after coming off the line.
That is the only sure way to calibrate any aftermarket camshaft to the PCM for it to operate properly w\ the misfire monitor....
Is this feature available thru FORScan? I don't have the extended license yet is why I'm asking.............

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Wow that is scary looking stuff. Glad out found it in time. I don’t remember for sure, but I think when I installed the FRPP cam followers they came with lash adjusters in the kit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if Forscan can calibrate that. I only know of the nuetral profile correction test that must be run when a pcm is replaced or the engine was replaced. This must be done for the misfire monitor. So I would assume it would need to be run after a cam swap. I used my x4 to run this.
I do have IDS, and dont recall seeing anything in there.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Not sure if Forscan can calibrate that. I only know of the nuetral profile correction test that must be run when a pcm is replaced or the engine was replaced. This must be done for the misfire monitor. So I would assume it would need to be run after a cam swap. I used my x4 to run this.
I do have IDS, and dont recall seeing anything in there.

Yes, this NPC is the "test" (not a test but is actually computer programming) that is done thru a test tool to initially train the new PCM's base misfire monitor's programming w\ the recorded engine's CKP sensor velocity variation signal pattern while running under no engine load (in neutral if manual or park\neutral if auto...thus the name neutral) using a series of throttle snaps to vary the CKP sensor velocity signal pattern across RPM changes which is read by the test tool (like on an oscilloscope reading the CKP sensor output) then this signal data is written into the new PCM's non-volatile mem for permanent storage (never lost regardless of power loss) for the PCM to then use going forward to compare to any subsequent engine CKP sensor velocity patterns afterwards for learning purposes. As long as the engine's running CKP sensor velocity variation patterns at neutral, no load conditions don't fall outside the range\shape of this recorded CKP sensor velocity variation pattern data in the PCM's non-volatile mem the PCM will recognize them as a normal pattern w\ all cylinders firing thus no misfires. The PCM doesn't have the logic written in it's firmware to initially learn this on it's own, it has to have a known good CKP sensor velocity variation pattern loaded in mem to use to decipher (or learn) any subsequent CKP sensor velocity pattern variations that the PCM reads afterwards to determine if an engine has misfired. Then all else follows from here.
If an engine running aftermarket camshafts is put thru a NPC misfire monitor training then the pattern created from the new cam's profile will become the "standard" for the PCM to use thus will go a LONG way to identifying real misfire issues\resolving false misfire issues as noted thru the PCM's OBDII Misfire Monitor Mode 6 test results when running these type of camshafts as everything else follows from here.....if you have the special test tool to perform the training...….which only Ford techs at the assembly plants & dealerships do have access to....unless someone outside of Ford has somehow "acquired" 1...……. I assumed this is part of the Ford IDS software as this software w\ the Ford VCM interface is used for everything else but it might also be a special tool used just for this purpose alone...…..

So your assumption would be correct for NPC training concerning a cam swap out if the new cam's profile is causing too radical a CKP sensor velocity variation pattern departure from the OEM NPC training already existing in the PCM's non-volatile mem...….. The OBDII Misfire Monitor PCM 60\40 drive training though is not actual NPC training but is a backup method to this training & is stored in KAM which is volatile (erasable). Here is a picture of an excert from pg 14 of the Ford 09 MY OBDII concerning NPC training:
IMG_0180.JPG

Now if you're using a SCT X4 tuner to do this NPC training please let me know how to set mine up to access this special area as I have 1 & the only thing I can see thru it is the general OBDII stuff that is also available thru any general OBDII scan tool that can access the general OBDII data PIDs (when the KAM mem is reset this also clears all the Mode 6 test data results including the OBDII 60\40 PCM MM training so this part has to be relearned but not the NPC training as this is located in mem outside of KAM which cannot be accessed w\o the special Ford NPC test tool....not even a PCM reflash will erase this NPC training)…...

So this is easily fixed but who wants to pay the Ford dealership to do it?

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Wow that is scary looking stuff. Glad out found it in time. I don’t remember for sure, but I think when I installed the FRPP cam followers they came with lash adjusters in the kit.
You're right the FR kit includes both the followers & the lash adjusters.....

Update:

Since finding all this & making the initial repairs by replacing the broken follower & the other 2 on #7 cylinder w\ these new improved FoMoCo followers & seeing the oil pressure return to normal along w\ my now 2nd inspection of the rest of the timing components this has now changed my thought process.....
I've already missed the 1st opportunity to have changed all this out when I initially put the cams in.Idon't like to be messing w\ unbolting the cam phasers a 2nd time & removing the cams due to the potential of causing damage to the 3 roll pins that secure the cam phaser tone rings & spring to the phaser body from repeated cycling of the cam phaser bolts. Since the lash adjusters very rarely fail due to fatigue (mostly thru poor oil servicing\oil quality causing varnish, gum & sludge buildup internally to prevent them from pumping up & operating properly), my engine is virtually spotless internally w\ none of the above even remotely present & the engine's return to quiet operation verifies to me that the lash adjusters are fine, the oil pressure is adequate now since the valve spring load has been returned to the lash adjuster so oil flow control is restored (stops adjuster from just spewing oil out continuously which lowered the oil pressure enough at low RPM's to slow up the VCT response) so by using these new FoMoCo cam followers w\ the improved oil squirt holes they will actually increase the operational oil pump pressure thru reducing the amount of oil volume flowing thru the lash adjusters by targeting the oil flow to the follower roller\cam lobe contact area to increase oil flow to the roller's needle bearings but reduce the total volume thru the lash adjusters as most of this volume thru the original follower's squirt holes is not getting to the roller which is the cause of all the roller failures which set up the rest. I also think they are made of better metal as well AND I can install these w\o having to touch any of the rest of the components as I have a valve spring compressor on hand so I will just replace the rest of the original high mileage cam followers w\ the new designed (and fresh) FoMoCo cam followers & call it a day for this engine then start looking around for a good donor 4.6L engine (post '08 to ensure getting the heads w\ the improved spark plug design) so the overall money spent is better utilized as I don't have any inclinations of getting rid of this car as these 3V's don't scare me off so buying the FR kit to use w\ a new rebuilt engine from the ground up makes better sense instead of on an engine w\ almost 153,000 mi on it already.
Ford redesigned all these parts due to the mass records of these parts failures to counter this so this makes good sense to do this at this juncture & swing the money towards a rebuild w\ forged rods & pistons for future use as this can happen slowly over time while still driving the car as otherwise this engine is in pretty good condition & the reason for oil pressure decline wasn't due to the oil pump itself so all should be Ok once the rest of the potentially tired\flawed OEM cam followers are replaced....along w\ the removal of the metal junk found lodged in screen of the DS VCT solenoid & replacement of OEM VCT solenoids w\ the improved FoMoCo VCT solenoids (to resist plunger sticking as was common w\ the original OEM production versions).

Went to the Ford dealership this morning to see if they had any more hid somewhere. Got to talk to my buddy that works there & found that they had 26 more stored somewhere else so he sold me the 21 that I needed to finish swapping the rest out (have 1 spare from the Saturday purchase of 4) & at a discounted price over what the other parts personnel sold me the 4 Saturday so I came out in better shape cost wise to boot by waiting to buy the rest as the Saturday sale was at full book price per follower so I'll be opening her back up soon to finish replacing these followers to remove any other potential follower failures (and subsequent damage to other parts) from these old, tired OEM original design followers as I can reuse the valve cover gaskets again (they're in excellent shape so should clean back up of the RTV I used on the front cover to engine block seams & reseal fine for a 3rd time....came w\ the FR Black Etched Valve Covers I bought to install after cam install).

FYI.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I will check the x4 and let you know where the NPC test is.
I only ran it at first start, so it has been a while. (New pcm, junkyard 5.0, x4 prompted me to run it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
From the x4 main menu:Vehicle functions > Special Function > Crank Relearn.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
From the x4 main menu:Vehicle functions > Special Function > Crank Relearn.
Hhhmmmm…..all I see on mine thru Special Functions is KAM Reset.....
Could you tell me the firmware version you have in your X4? Looks like I need to do an update.
Are you using yours on a 05-10 or a 11-14 S197 (Spanish Oak PCM or Copperhead PCM)?
Just curious as I wasn't aware that was in these X4's.....but it has been 2+ yrs since I last used it (got car initially dyno tuned on 8-27-18 thru HPTuners interface so I haven't used my X4 since then) but when I was using it all that was available thru the SF was KAM Reset.

Now that's a good reason to keep it so I'll hook her up & see if I can get it updated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Update:

Got the cam followers all changed out....this RBS version of the FoMoCo 1039 valve spring compressor worked just fine (especially when I realized what the hex section of the compressor thumb wheel was for.....:facepalm:) job went well overall. Ran into a little trouble on the DS head using this tool (issue was only w\ the intake valves....if you let the follower slip off the valve stem while compressing the valve spring it will drop into the valley & kick the rear over the lash adjuster pintle & get caught in the crease at the roller & is a :censored1: to get it back out. I had this happen on 3 of them & it took me about 2 1\2 hrs to get them back out so that I could install the new ones. Then after getting thru that, I had 1 of the new ones pop out while barring the motor over to make sure that all was good & guess where it went.....right into the same position so I had to fight it back out to reinstall it (didn't get it fully seated on the lash adjuster's pintle) but I got it all squared away & verified sound (rolled the engine over several revolutions watching the followers to ensure that all were fully seated & operating Ok). Figured out to use my thumb to hold follower in the crevice just as the follower body starts up towards the roller w\ a slight load pushing towards the valve stem to keep from letting it slide back while pushing down on it to keep load on the valve stem while compressing the valve spring....worked like a charm....did the PS head w\o issue. Barred her over several more revolutions to ensure the followers were fully seated on the PS head as well as recheck the DS head....all looking good. Cleaned all up & reassembled her then hooked up my scan tool to monitor thru the cold start to full hot idle....started up & running just fine, engine was very quiet....only noise was the injectors cycling. Noted when the PCM went into CL both banks STFT's went negative again (-10% to -12%) for a few seconds then started returning towards 0%....this is what you're supposed to see (PCM was using fuel enrichment during OL due to low ECT & load% so was rich...PCM starts to pull fuel once the O2 sensors reported rich AFR until the AFR corrected back to stoich @ 14.64 AFR or Lambda 1.0) so no need to smoke test the exhaust now as this is verification that exhaust is sound from head's exhaust ports thru the end of the mid pipe (covers all the O2 sensors so O2 sensor accuracy is verified....using NTK 22060 front NB O2 sensors, NTK 22500 rear NB O2 sensors) so all that is left for me to finish up is installing the replacement EVAP system when it gets in to have both the induction side & exhaust side verified sound & free of unmetered air leaks so she'll be in as new condition.

Let car run at full hot idle for approx 1 1\2 hrs to allow the new followers to fully seat into the lash adjuster's pintles while under no load. Car is sounding very good now....can't hear anything but the injectors cycling, the cooling fan cycling & the A\C compressor cycling (had heater on using temp control less than full hot). After getting all picked up & put away I took her on a test drive to work the followers in at normal driving RPM's (750 thru 2100) & to see if the OBDII IM Readiness will set. Put approx. 18 mi on car mostly in town driving to cycle engine rpm's to work the followers & to run the Catalyst Monitor. Engine ran beautifully & was quiet w\ no ticking\tapping noises. Got back home & hooked up my scan tool to check....car has passed OBDII IM Readiness on all monitors except the EVAP. Misfire Monitor showed passed but it didn't run yet (passed on the NPC side but the 60\40 DFCO misfire training hasn't been completed) so I'll be taking her out to NAPI International Speedway (out on the reservation where DPS don't hang out & the Native police don't care) to perform this monitor training (traffic is scarce & you can see for a long way so I can do the training w\o getting run over). Catalyst Monitor showed B1 cat at .306 front\rear switch ratio (was at .116 front\rear prior all this work) & B2 cat at .297 front rear switch ratio (was at .127 front\rear prior all this work). All this is while running Big Daddies Garage 90* CEL Eliminators on the rear O2 sensors. These results aren't due to my cats getting worse as the rear O2 sensor's switch rate hasn't changed. What has changed is the front O2 sensor's switch rate....they've slowed down due to me repairing all the vacuum leaks so there's less O2 in the exhaust. What this does is increase the amount of time it takes for the front O2 sensors to reach the 50 switches needed for 1 test, the 70 switches needed for the 2nd test & 30 switches needed for the 3rd test (to qualify as a good switch the O2 sensor sine wave has to cross .8v on the rise then cross .2 on the drop to qualify....the amplitude test) so the rear O2 sensors will make a few more switch counts than they otherwise would which will RAISE the switch ratio towards the max threshold. This is why it's important to use good O2 sensors that have a full 0v-1v range & to use dedicated front\rear designed O2 sensors w\ these Spanish Oak PCMs as the calculated F\R switch ratio threshold is .636 for B1, .538 for B2 to coincide w\ the 92% min cat efficiency threshold.

Engine is still running very quiet....got out my mechanics stethescope & ran it over both valve covers front to back....sounds were light & consistent all across the valve cover (like a Singer sewing machine) thru the scope but weren't audible outside the valve cover w\ scope removed so this is now covered. Both cam phasers are quiet at full hot idle so locking pins are good. Engine accelerates very smooth & quick since replacing the VCT solenoids\repairing the broken cam follower so all is sound at this time.

I think we're back on the good side now. Caught some stuff going south before it caused a MIL & corrected some self induced issues as well along the way. Gonna break out the laptop next & record KOEO & KOER logs for records keeping.

I found that most of the old followers that were on the DS head had the body stamping flaw in the same area as the 1 in the picture (w\ the exception of 3...1 on #6 cylinder & 2 on #5 cylinder). The followers from the PS head didn't have any of that...they were all clean bodied stampings so this is more evidence to lean towards the cause of the follower failing on #7 cylinder (DS head)…..

These new FoMoCo followers were all clean stampings w\ no blemishes so they should hold up very well.

We'll see.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure on the fw level, but I did just update the x4 about a month ago. My car is ID'd as a 2013-14 5.0.
And yes, KAM reset is the other option I have on that menu.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Not sure on the fw level, but I did just update the x4 about a month ago. My car is ID'd as a 2013-14 5.0.
And yes, KAM reset is the other option I have on that menu.
Appreciate the info, Juice!

I tried to update my X4 last night....the firmware update went well, all was received & setup. But there was some kind of tune revision update being attempted (never saw this when I updated my X4 in times past before getting dyno tuned on HPTuners but it was already married to my PCM...it was unmarried when I tried to update it last night so maybe the reason why), it would complete the transfer but then reports an error w\ this update. Reran it 3 more times w\ the same result so I shut Derive down & unplugged my X4 then tried to reconnect it to my computer but it now won't reconnect (light flashing between red, green & blue) showing a device communication error on X4's screen.

So I'll have to look into this further. Hope I don't have to send it back in to Derive to get this repaired......

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, I did have a small glitch after the update. I unmarried the x4 before updating it. Then when I went to reload my tune, the x4 gave me an error and prompted me to "restore to stock". That was a headscratcher, but I let it restore to stock and all is well since. I dont care if I brick the pcm, I can recover it with IDS. :)
SCT should be able to help you "force" the update to the x4. I dont think it is a hardware issue .

Last edited:

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Update:
Took her out to NAPI International Speedway (NAPI Indian Reservation) today to perform the PCM's Misfire Monitor 60\40 DFCO training so the misfire monitor will become active in the PCM (won't physically run until this training has been completed & data stored in KAM). Got all done (I do this a little different from the procedure....instead of accelerating back to 60 MPH after coasting past 40 MPH, I start from a stop then accelerate at a brisk pace rowing the gears until I get past 60 MPH in 4th gear then take my foot off throttle & let her coast back down & as soon as she slows back down to 35 MPH (ensures PCM has record of instance) I use the brakes & gear down to 1st gear around 2-3 MPH then repeat the process again until I have gotten the 3 consecutive instances called for. I accelerate brisk to put a decent load on engine so PCM has a record of the CKP velocity pulses from hard acceleration to compare to the CKP velocity pulses from compression only during coast stored in KAM so the PCM can better distinguish any misfires during a high load% event (like WOT but I believe this monitor is turned off during a WOT event anyway).
Got back home & hooked up the scan tool to check data recorded in Mode 6.....misfire monitor is now running & reported as follows:
OBDII IM Readiness is Passed (green)
#1 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 8
#2 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 0 (the 2nd highest misfire counts but not from physical misfiring, affected by #7 being flat w\ CKP velocity pulses, next in firing order after #7, located on crank rod journal ahead of crank rod journal w\ #7)
#3 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 3
#4 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 1
#5 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 1
#6 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 0
#7 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 0 (the cylinder that kept setting the P0307 DTC w\ the highest misfire counts but was not due to physical misfiring...was due to a broken cam follower on 1 intake valve causing cylinder to lean out air\fuel mix%)
#8 cyl…..EWMA @ 0 cts last counts @ 0

Note: PCM compares all cylinder's CKP velocity pulses to each other to establish an overall average CKP velocity pulse pattern then sees which cylinder's individual CKP velocity pattern falls outside of the average CKP velocity pattern to determine if the cylinder has misfired...don't have to physically misfire for this to happen....a change in air\fuel mix while under acceleration\at idle, change in spark timing under acceleration\at idle, or change in VCT cam timing under acceleration\at idle, or the crank temp\cylinder chamber temp affecting the CKP velocity pulses at startup can influence the misfire monitor results.
If you have big cams installed, you can monitor the ECT during warmup while periodically checking the misfire monitor counts to see at what ECT the false misfires diminish then have the misfire min ECT enable temp setting in the tune reset to just above this ECT OR you can just set this setting about 20*F below the normal hot idle ECT to "disable" it during a cold start but will run otherwise so it's not disabled in the tune so it will show up in OBDII IM Readiness (OEM setting is 20*F for the OEM cams used for cold start emissions purposes). I had mine reset from 20*F to 80*F to match w\ these Lunati VooDoo #21270700 cams using the data I had gathered so the misfire monitor won't run until the engine's ECT >80*F to stop the fake misfires from a cold crankshaft\cold CC's throwing the CKP velocity pulses off overloading the misfire counts in the MM causing a false P03xx MIL (before I found the broken cam follower on 1 of #7 cyl's intake valves). Been fine ever since.....got no more P03xx DTC MIL, even w\ #7 still throwing counts, just not as many as prior this setting change & before replacing the broken cam follower.

The real test will be in AM after today as the MM is now active in the PCM & will now start once ECT is >80*F during cold start (will also be in CL by then so FT's will also be corrected, stabilizing the cylinder combustion) to see how stable the PCM is reading the CKP velocity pulses as far as misfires are concerned. Engine runs very quiet now w\ no noise change even after some extended driving to drive up the EOT so we show to have all symptoms\causes fully resolved now.

The total damage: 1 set of COP coils (not needed in the end, bad dielectric grease made OEM appear faulty so saved as spares), 1 set of injectors (not needed in the end but got a better nozzle spray pattern out of the replacements vs OEM so an improvement so saved as spares), 3 sets of spark plugs (2 sets ruined by bad dielectric grease, back to OEM w\ 3rd set in car), 1 brake booster check valve (vacuum leak, never woulda thought as part was operating fine), 1 BBK #1763 62mm TB (this sucks, bad seals on aftermarket TB butterfly shaft causing vacuum leaks, was fine otherwise...back w\ OEM TB), full EVAP system & gas cap (passed PCM EVAP Monitor Tests but failed smoke test...vacuum leaks all over canister\tubing & leaking CVS), 2 VCT solenoids (not needed in the end but had to pull to check screens...found debris restricting 1 of them...got upgraded improved FoMoCo VCT solenoids so an improvement but saved the OEM's as spares), full set of 24 cam followers (found the 1 broken cam follower on #7 cyl, the main issue...wasn't expecting to find this, looks like part broke mostly due to fatigue from high mileage service...replaced all w\ upgraded improved FoMoCo cam followers so an improvement in the end...bought 1 extra for a spare), 1 tune\dyno session (got some settings changed in tune to offset over rich fueling on cold starts\changed settings to start MM later after engine warmed up enough to smooth out CKP velocity pulses\verified some physical misfiring that lead to discovering the bad dielectric grease\found VCT response slow on dyno pulls...got me to go pull valve covers to check VCT solenoids...found a LOT more than I was looking for) & a LOT of time & labor checking\gathering data, testing, R & R components.
The 2 best items that came out of all this is buying this Lenovo laptop then setting it up w\ FORScan software & the USB OBDII interface to do the data gathering\interpreting to help me to figure out the fake misfire counts in the PCM & other items of interest & the Autool MrCarTool Smoke Leak Detector to find all them damn vacuum leaks in places where I didn't think I had any & showed the places where I thought I had them to be sound & leak free.....also verified the scan tool Mode 6 test result data that pointed to the EVAP system failing even though the PCM said it was good causing more vacuum leaks. If I would have had the laptop rig w\ FORScan & smoke machine from the jump it would have saved me a TON of labor\troubleshooting time & R\R of components that didn't need to have been touched & I would've gotten to this conclusion MUCH, MUCH faster (started in mid November--finishing in mid February...…….).
Good thing is that I now thru all the data gathering know exactly what to look for to diagnose a potential cam follower break on a single intake valve that doesn't screw up the valve to prevent it from sealing...……….

Once I get enough seat time on the cam followers to satisfy me that all is sound then it's back to the dyno 1 more time to get tune checked for fidelity after fixing all these vacuum leaks then see if our missing HP\TQ shows back up.

FYI...………..

PS--(2-14-20)--Just now occurred to me that there is a 3rd scenario for the broken cam follower....it could have failed while the engine was not running & cam lobe had the follower depressed under valve spring load....maybe not probable but is logically possible. Would explain the fact of the break not being audible as well.

More food for thought...……….

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back