Lunati VooDoo #21270700 Camshafts

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by GlassTop09, May 24, 2019.

1. GlassTop09

GlassTop09 Member

Ok, will get w\ SCT on this.

Thanks!

2. GlassTop09

GlassTop09 Member

FYI...……...

I just had another thought on this that didn't occur to me until I was watching another YouTube video last night from Go Tech on VCT\VVT solenoid testing\inspection after getting P0011\P0013 DTC's that gives more reason to pull the valve covers & pull the VCT solenoids for inspection & that is to check the overall health of your engine as if there is any metal wear or indication of this occurring, these VCT screens will catch it as they are very fine mesh (to keep particulates from getting around the plungers as all this equipment uses close tolerance fit to seal) as the metal\varnish\sludge particles will be transported in the engine oil & will be caught there. So if slow VCT operation is detected this should be the next move if the cause can't be found thru the electronics....or just to gauge the engine's overall internal health (to coincide w\ any oil filter inspection for the same).

The screens on the OEM VCT solenoids that I removed were very clean (you can clearly see the screen mesh pattern) outside of the 2 pieces of metal debris thus is a very good indicator of my engine's internal health & physical condition….which is very, very good for the 153,000+ mi on her as there was no other buildup on the VCT screens so I can breath a sigh of relief as this didn't register w\ me when I was looking at them until after I saw this Go Tech video (they showed a couple of VCT\VVT solenoids w\ screens plugged w\ debris deposited thru the engine oil after inspection due to getting the P0011\P0013 DTC's as these 2 DTC's denote non-electrical VCT\VVT issues.....the instructor didn't have many kind words to say about the customer's maintenance upkeep of the vehicle he was working on as his statement is also very true..."This happening is not the engine's or mechanic's fault & all I can do as the mechanic is change the bad part but this issue is going to happen again as the damage is already done & the customer needs to know that up front").

Gonna remember this line for future use...…………...

This data also bodes well for the usage of the MotorCraft Full Synthetic 5W-30 engine oil I use in this 4.6L 3V engine since I bought the car some 2 1\2 yrs ago (along w\ the evidence provided from the pictures of both of the cylinder heads & components as both heads are very, very clean w\ no evidence of any varnish, sludge, wear or gum buildup...even on the broke cam follower) due to this oil's high detergent mix\high lubricity properties\high film strength & the service maintenance length (I change it every 6 months or 5,000 mi whichever comes 1st as the 5,000 mi changeout recommendation comes from Ford for this particular blend). I will be changing the oil soon due to me having the valve covers off the engine twice, even though I was very careful to plug the oil reliefs in the head when I was cleaning off the valve cover sealing surfaces on the heads to prevent any trash from falling into them then quickly removing the rags to dispel any trash that I couldn't see (once I get the followers fully seated to the lash adjuster's pintles then any trash I missed should be flushed to the oil pan by then) as this oil doesn't have 2,000 mi on it since last service & looks clean but it's gonna get changed anyway.
    This is a practice I have held to since my youth as my Dad (the auto tech by trade) drilled this into me when you do ANY engine work that requires the engine to be opened up, no matter what.

Sometimes you get the 1-off instances....stuff just happens....but these instances are very few & very far in between & not the norm.....

3. GlassTop09

GlassTop09 Member

Update:

Hooked up my laptop & monitored her thru a full cold start thru full hot idle using FORScan w\ VCT angle PWM % & VCT angle2 PWM % PID's set up in dashboard (these 2 PID's are the PCM commanded VCT angle PWM signal in % sent to the VCT solenoids) to go w\ the VCT angle * & VCT angle2 * PID's (these 2 PID's are the VCT angle movement in degrees as read thru the CMP sensors off both cam phaser's tone rings) so that I can see how the VCT solenoids (and cam phasers as well) are responding to the PCM commanded VCT angle PWM signal % sent to the VCT solenoids so that I can gauge the operational readiness of the VCT system since the repairs. Fired her up & all was looking good. Waited until the engine made it to full hot idle before making throttle snaps to test VCT response. Made several throttle blips keeping the RPM's below 2,000 to test VCT response at low engine RPM's (highest recorded RPM hit was 1758 during the blips). Noted on 1 instance PCM commanded VCT angle\angle2 PWM signal of 52% from 0% sent to both VCT solenoids at the same time immediately saw the VCT angle\angle2 * move from 0* to +15*(cam retard angle) & once the engine load% was reached the PCM commanded the VCT angle\angle2 PWM signal back to 0% & the VCT solenoids\cam phasers immediately responded advancing the cam angles back to 0* so the VCT solenoids\cam phasers are responding very well & very quick to the PCM VCT command signals at engine RPM's less than 2,000 (min oil pressure specs call for 75 psi @ 2,000 RPM's for these 4.6L V8's) so it looks like the VCT response (subsequently the engine's operational oil pressure) has indeed been restored & all appears to be fully operational as designed. The VCT adverror\adverror2 angle * stayed within +- .8* difference thruout this low RPM snap throttle testing so system is operating very precisely as well. Got similar VCT response patterns to the instance given above on the other throttle blips so VCT system operation checks out.

So all is looking good at this time.....VCT system function is normal.

FYI.