MACH 1 is back!!!

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
All this makes me wonder whether all the problems with the Voodoo engine that I mentioned above could be secondary to the vibrations caused by the combination of the inherent imbalance of the FPC V8 and the long stroke.

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
I have no issue using the 5.0 vs the voodoo, especially if they crank it up to a nice “neat” 500 hp. I just hope they get the look/graphics of it right. A proper retro Mach 1 needs;

1. A blacked out hood or hood stripe
2. Fog lights in the grill (I hope that’s what those are)
3. Shaker or some type of hood scoop
4. Some lower rocker stripes
5. Mach1 badging (like 03-04)
6. A proper set of retro rims-something wide and concave. I’m sick of the flat looking multispoke wheels-especially in black. This car needs something less modern and more muscular looking.
7. A black chin splitter
8. A taller than GT spoiler

I see some hope here, but I reserve judgement until I see it in all its glory.

axis101

Reaction score
My neighbor has the first year 350. He also has a ‘66 289 fastback, ‘69 Stingray and a bunch of stuff. Trouble with the VooDoo. It starts vibrating and creates issues with the clutch. Maybe there’s a site on it. But I’ve talked with him after each trip to various Ford dealers in Miami. I spoke to the guys at Rare Fab in Boynton Beach, and they are well aware of the problem. They’ve done a number of things to cure it. Still a bandage. It’s hard to think they would produce that anymore. This is short version of the story. Rare Fab has some outrageous solid builds.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the Voodoo engine has those kinds of problems, I would expect a class action suit to follow.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe it will be a cross plane 5.2?
Predator with a GT350 manifold would be sweet.
If you take the Bullitt's 480hp/5.0L=96 hp/L
Then 96HP/Lx5.2L=499.2 HP. I'm sure they can find another 0.8 to make 500 HP even.
I would be disappointed with anything less.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The Bullitt engine is essentially a 5.0 GT engine with a GT350 intake manifold. Ford Performance already has a 5.2 cross plane in the form of the 580hp Aluminator crate engine, so it wouldn't be difficult to produce a detuned version with an even 500hp.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I changed my mind, anything less than 550 hp is unacceptable if they already have a 580 hp version available. :driver:
And please, use a decent 6 speed manual, not the crappy MT-82. A direct shift T56 magnum would be nice.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rate it at 525hp then. Even though it actually makes a bit more. I'd be good with that.

What would be mind blowing is it the 7.3 Super Duty engine had a small refit tweak and found it way in the car. Ahh but to dream.....

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
GT350 is being dropped...

Really? In that case, let's have that Ford Performance 5.2 Aluminator crate engine with its 580hp of awesomeness in the Mach 1. This would neatly bridge the gap between the 460hp GT and the 760hp GT500.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I have my doubts that all 580 of those Aluminator horses would make it to production, what with having to meet emissions and some sort of internal fuel economy target for fleet average purposes. Ford doesn't have much else in their car fleet to offset any drop in overall Mustang mpg with, should the Mach 1 end up being as popular as we might like it to be.

Norm

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would expect the Mach 1 to carry the Bullet spec engine at the very least. Though it's conceivable that they could could also increase the displacement of the Bullet engine to 5.2 liters with roughly 500hp.

It also needs a Drag-Pak option. A10 only. Higher stall convertor, factory transbrake function, GT500 half shafts, magnetic suspension with launch setting suited to weight transfer. And they should offer a piggyback Drag-Pak wheel/tire option if you choose the Drag-Pak option.

Last edited:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Norm, you made a valid point about Ford having to meet increasingly strict CAFE standards. If the Mach 1 is intended to become a substitute for the GT350 and Bullitt models, Ford could give it taller gearing to improve its highway mpg rating and perhaps avoid the gas guzzler tax. Another potential fuel saving measure is cylinder deactivation during highway cruising but as far as I'm aware, that hasn't been developed for use in the upcoming Mach 1.

JJ427R

Reaction score
If the Voodoo engine has those kinds of problems, I would expect a class action suit to follow.
Don't forget there already is a GT350 owners lawsuit against Ford, which claims that transmissions and differentials on their GT350 cars allegedly overheat at high speeds, sending the car into limp mode, specifically during use on the track. Exactly the same thing that happened to my 2018 PP1 on track at Road America last year, in only 12 minutes on track! Sadly that lawsuit does not include my car and only the 2016 GT350.

I wish Ford would work on the issues they currently have on these cars instead of coming out with a new model. The scam they are running building the GT with the PP1 and PP2 packages is unreal. They put Track Apps with Track Mode on it, which they tell you is to only be used on track, but then won't back it if you take it on track.

The important thing is what will the pricing be on the Mach 1? Is it going to get in the range of the GT500 and dealers screwing people with the 20k over sticker pricing? My local dealer is still sitting on a 2018 GT350 as they want too much for it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Norm, you made a valid point about Ford having to meet increasingly strict CAFE standards. If the Mach 1 is intended to become a substitute for the GT350 and Bullitt models, Ford could give it taller gearing to improve its highway mpg rating and perhaps avoid the gas guzzler tax. Another potential fuel saving measure is cylinder deactivation during highway cruising but as far as I'm aware, that hasn't been developed for use in the upcoming Mach 1.
Ford would have to be careful about gearing. Make it too tall for mpg purposes and it'll compromise away the added power in normal driving. Might be better to re-gear the MT (again) and maybe introduce skip-shift. I could see the automatics getting an earlier-upshift algorithm, at least in 'Normal' mode (which has posed a rather unsettling question unrelated to transmissions).

Cylinder deactivation is probably best paired with lower-revving engines of larger displacement. See Chevy/GMC and Dodge/Ram. Higher revving engines tend to be a bit 'soft' at low rpms, and softer still given that you'd be deactivating to a smaller displacement. The Mustang has a weight advantage over the Dodges which would help it (relatively speaking) there, but you wouldn't get the same help vs the Camaro.

Norm

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Ford would have to be careful about gearing. Make it too tall for mpg purposes and it'll compromise away the added power in normal driving.

The easy solution is for Ford to do what it has always done; make top gear a much lower numerical ratio e.g. 0.65:1 than the 1.00:1 5th (in a 6-speed manual) like it is in the MT82. You then have the first five ratios closely stacked for quick acceleration with a bigger rpm drop going into 6th for relaxed highway cruising.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Dino - there are times even in street driving where 1.00 to 0.65 is still uncomfortably wide. For the upper gears, there's easily enough room to fit another gear in between those two without it feeling like it's being 'squeezed-in' just to run the gear count up. If anything, the faster you go, the tighter the ratios should get. (I'd seriously consider putting that 3550 in my '08 if 5th was 0.8x).

4th through 6th for one of Tremec's Magnum XL gearsets goes 1.00 - 0.80 - 0.63. Hardly any different from the 0.97 - 0.78 - 0.67 that's in our WRX, and all of those gears get used on a regular basis even in normal easy-going street driving.

Norm

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
I could see a 7 speed MT going in. Love to see a transaxle in this car... let’s get with the times here. I believe the M1 will be staying with the 5.0 as ford has stated it will be the most trackable 5.0 ever manufactured.

@JJ427R have you had further on track problems with the 18? If so what issues/codes? Thanks

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back