MACH 1 is back!!!

JJ427R

Reaction score
I could see a 7 speed MT going in. Love to see a transaxle in this car... let’s get with the times here. I believe the M1 will be staying with the 5.0 as ford has stated it will be the most trackable 5.0 ever manufactured.

@JJ427R have you had further on track problems with the 18? If so what issues/codes? Thanks
I have not had it on the track since and will probably never again unless I add a bunch of cooling. That is a scary feeling going into a corner at 120 mph and your car just goes limp. Granted you have brakes and steering, but that is it. Luckily nobody was right behind me as I would have probably been rear ended.

I have not really driven it that much myself, my wife is the primary on this car, and since the covid thing she has been working from home so it's pretty much parked. Coincidently it was really dirty so I just finished washing it a bit ago. I noticed this am that the transmission makes quite a clunk when you shift from park into drive and vise verse. I'm going to try to get it in next week and have it checked out. It only has 5600 miles on it.

I forget what the codes were I had at Road America, I have em somewhere and I'll try to fine them. They were primarily for high engine temp, but the 10 speed auto was also struggling to find a gear only a couple laps into the session. I was in Track Mode and trying to let it shift itself, as I drive with hand controls and had not practiced with the paddles enough. I did not think I was pushing it that hard and the outdoor temps were not that bad, believe in the low 70's at the time. Happened in early morning session. below is the video. What's a shame is my first time on track with it I was eating up the other cars in my group, so the car has the potential.... maybe I even do a little!

If Ford would only add the cooling they did in the GT500 or what Roush is putting in the 2020's with the Podium Package

Last edited:

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
That A10 maybe well suited at the strip, but in the esses you’re asking a lot of it. 4–5 downshifts entering an apex... no bueno. Maybe with a better tuned shift map and use of the paddles, even then I feel like that auto is to much up and down.

*add- I feel like ford won’t let us down on the shaker hood, I’m guessing it’s not on the test vehicle because they couldn’t hide that with camo. I’m prepared for a proper revamping of that hood.

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
I agree, even on the street these things seem like they shift constantly, I think it shifts 4 times before 30 mph. Then if you go sport or track mode it gets more aggressive with the downshifting as well. On track if you can use the paddles with only gears 4-7 or 8 it would be better, but they still overheat way too quickly. At this point I would not feel safe running this car on track again without some major cooling upgrades.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I would expect the Mach 1 to carry the Bullet spec engine at the very least. Though it's conceivable that they could could also increase the displacement of the Bullet engine to 5.2 liters with roughly 500hp.

It also needs a Drag-Pak option. A10 only. Higher stall convertor, factory transbrake function, GT500 half shafts, magnetic suspension with launch setting suited to weight transfer. And they should offer a piggyback Drag-Pak wheel/tire option if you choose the Drag-Pak option.

As cool as that would be I think the few articles I have seen on the Mach coming back call it the most track capable 5.0 mustang. So if I was to guess, its most likely going to be a PP2 equipped car, with the Bullitt engine mybe bumped to 500 and the cooling from the GT350 and bye bye GT350. Seems like they are chasing lap times more than 1/4 times.

An A10 Mach 1 drag pack would certainly catch my attention though

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
But the Mach 1 was never a "goes around corners" package.

And yeah the A10 is not the go to for corners racing.

As far as "track capable" what kind of track? Probably with corners, but one can dream.

JJ427R

Reaction score
And yeah the A10 is not the go to for corners racing.
Then Ford shouldn't promote it for that with the Track Apps, tires, brakes, supposedly larger radiator, etc.....

And you can only get an auto in the GT500, granted 7 speed, but just saying....
As far as "track capable" what kind of track? Probably with corners, but one can dream.
They build it for both straight line and road course. The track apps have options for both. I unfortunately have not had a chance to get it on the dragstrip to see how well it functions, and have not played with the drag stuff yet, I can only attest to road course.

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
Then Ford shouldn't promote it for that with the Track Apps, tires, brakes, supposedly larger radiator, etc.....

And you can only get an auto in the GT500, granted 7 speed, but just saying....

I'm sure you're aware the 7 speed in the GT500 is an automated manual, not a traditional torque converter and planetary gear auto. It's cooling needs are closer to a 3 pedal manual than the 10 speed auto.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I'm sure you're aware the 7 speed in the GT500 is an automated manual, not a traditional torque converter and planetary gear auto. It's cooling needs are closer to a 3 pedal manual than the 10 speed auto.
I understand that. My point was they are using automatics in these track based cars now and automatics are becoming the norm. Ferrari it's pretty much all you can get, most Porsche's have the PDK, GT500 only auto, even most road racing series are now running some sort of paddle shifted trans.

WNYGT5-0

Reaction score
I understand that. My point was they are using automatics in these track based cars now and automatics are becoming the norm. Ferrari it's pretty much all you can get, most Porsche's have the PDK, GT500 only auto, even most road racing series are now running some sort of paddle shifted trans.
The dual disc 7 speed trans in the gt500, or whatever ferrari is using cannot be compared to the a10 in your stang that was developed for use in a cargo van. There are huge differences in the front fascia between your GT and the GT500 allowing for much more air to reach heavier duty cooling required for rad, trans and brakes. There are 6 total radiators on the GT500. Apples to Oranges...

Most of those road racing series you mentioned are running paddle shifted sequential transaxels... again HUGE difference.

Last edited:

JJ427R

Reaction score
The dual disc 7 speed trans in the gt500, or whatever ferrari is using cannot be compared to the a10 in your stang that was developed for use in a cargo van. There are huge differences in the front fascia between your GT and the GT500 allowing for much more air to reach heavier duty cooling required for rad, trans and brakes. There are 6 total radiators on the GT500. Apples to Oranges...

Most of those road racing series you mentioned are running paddle shifted sequential transaxels... again HUGE difference.
Yes I understand the difference in the transmissions and the big difference in the cars. My point is they are all automatics (or somewhat automatics) and all use paddle shifting, so they are the same concept so to speak, they are not shifted with a stick and most don't even have a clutch you actually press with your foot.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
With both the GT350 and Bullitt being discontinued, this would leave just the base and GT models as the only Mustangs that come available with manual transmissions. Therefore IMO, it wouldn't make much sense for Ford to not offer the upcoming Mach 1 with a 6 speed manual trans, being as both the GT350 and Bullitt variants were available with manual transmissions. With the current GT500 available only in the 7 speed dual clutch trans, there should at least be one variant other than the Mustang GT which continues to offer a 6 speed manual trans. Anyhow, just saying :shrug:

Last edited:

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
If Ford puts the DCT in the Mach 1 that might justify the bump in price that is expected.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

JJ427R

Reaction score
Has Ford announced what the price of this will be yet? You can bet dealerships are going to do the same thing on price with this they are doing with the GT500, especially if the Bullitt and GT350 go away as a result, so plan on adjusting your wallet for that extra upcharge. Surprisingly enough since the covid thing the price of the GT500's and Corvettes have not yet dropped. Guess the economy is not tanking like some think.

If they Supercharge the Mach 1, the price will be nearer the GT500...

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I am going to say the Mach 1 is going to start in the mid 50s. Basically start at the Bullitt MSRP add in the PP2 stuff and I think mid 50s is a fair guess.

Dealers did try to charge ADM on the Bullitt and that lasted a few months at least around me. You can find them know for about 3k under

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The Mach 1 will remain naturally aspirated and its price will be pitched somewhere in between the GT and GT500. While the GT350 will be dropped, I expect some of its technology such as the suspension and brakes will be carried over to the Mach 1.
A 5.0L Coyote producing 525hp & 450lbft would be a mouthwatering prospect, so I'm itching to see the final pictures and specs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back