MACH 1 is back!!!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Year that camo wrap they use is real good at hiding everything.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
According to that article, the flat plank ie, GT350 might be dead.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Given what they've done with the Coyote as far as revving and power, I'd rather have it than the Voodoo.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Durability issues killed it.
Yeah, I can see why there would be issues. It is one thing for a ferrari to use a flat plane crank in a car that sees that sees 20,000 miles in a decade vs. a Ford that sees that in a year.

But it would have been damn cool to see that thing dance under throttle...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see why there would be issues. It is one thing for a ferrari to use a flat plane crank in a car that sees that sees 20,000 miles in a decade vs. a Ford that sees that in a year.
What's perhaps more telling is that Ferrari used a more sensible amount of stroke (81mm in the F430 and 458) for their flat-plane V8's, vs 93mm for the Voodoo. What's interesting to note is that the 458 Ferrari and the Voodoo both have 94mm bore dimensions, so there shouldn't be too much difference in piston weight.

Norm

Flusher

Reaction score
I have only seen one GT350, with a flat-plane crank, in the streets. It sounded absolutely badass, like nothing else I've ever heard.

Tony Scarlata has a flat-plane crank in his drag boat, Bling Bling. I don't really know Tony or the specs of his build, but my assumption is that it is probably a 4.250" (107.95mm) stroke crankshaft with a 4.600" (116.84mm) bore (565"). I heard that he opted for the flat crank for better exhaust scavenging. Smokey Yunick did some testing for Chevy, back in the day, and said that it didn't warrant the effort. Maybe Tony just did it to be different. All I know is, it sounds like an angry AF Honda.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Durability issues killed it.

I don't think that the durability issues were due to the crank being flat plane rather than cross plane, but rather due to the fact that some owners beat the snot out of them from day one.
The Voodoo does indeed have a long stroke for a flat plane crank engine, and since the safe maximum mean piston speed for a forged steel crank/rod combination is ~5000ft/min, that limits the Voodoo to 8250rpm. Other shorter stroke engines can safely spin to 9000+.
The new Mach 1 definitely needs a more powerful engine than the GT, and it's likely it'll get the same engine spec as the Bullitt. This would neatly bridge the gap between the 460hp GT and the 526hp GT350.
One way or another a Shaker hood is an absolute must with grabber orange and grabber blue included in the color menu. Indeed I think these should be the only colors offered together with black decals of course.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think that the durability issues were due to the crank being flat plane rather than cross plane, but rather due to the fact that some owners beat the snot out of them from day one.
The Voodoo does indeed have a long stroke for a flat plane crank engine, and since the safe maximum mean piston speed for a forged steel crank/rod combination is ~5000ft/min, that limits the Voodoo to 8250rpm. Other shorter stroke engines can safely spin to 9000+.
The new Mach 1 definitely needs a more powerful engine than the GT, and it's likely it'll get the same engine spec as the Bullitt. This would neatly bridge the gap between the 460hp GT and the 526hp GT350.
One way or another a Shaker hood is an absolute must with grabber orange and grabber blue included in the color menu. Indeed I think these should be the only colors offered together with black decals of course.

Whether crank was the problem or not, the higher rpm vibrations caused incorrectly torqued oil filters to back off and starve the engine before the inexperienced car owner could catch it. I also heard a few complaints about the oil pan.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
5000 fpm is really a bit too much for a street engine. Even the 20,000 rpm capable 2.4L Formula 1 engines wouldn't have been much over 5000, and those were essentially unlimited-budget engine builds. Seems to me that 4500 fpm @ 8500 would have been a far more realistic target, except that the modular engine design would then only be able to support about 4.5 liters of engine displacement.

Norm

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
5000 fpm is really a bit too much for a street engine.

Not with a properly balanced all forged bottom end, and the 5.2L V10 in the Audi R8 has the same stroke with an 8700rpm redline and a maximum piston speed of 5300fpm.
Most of the Voodoo engine failures were actually caused either by bad oil pumps, oil filter assemblies coming loose, or excessive oil consumption due to high rpm and high load operation. They were NOT caused by the bottom end blowing up due to excessive rpm.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
A FPC V8 cannot be completely balanced (four terms, primary and secondary forces, primary and secondary moments). Kind of hard to see stroke and rpm not being involved.

Inline fours are in a similar situation, most of which have been 2.0 liters or smaller unless balance-shafted.

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back