Mickey Thompson's (New-Street-Comp) UHP tire tested Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for new tires myself. Can't decide which ones to go with, I currently have the Cooper Zeon RS3-S very similar to the MT Street Comp. Just for shit and giggles I got a quote for Michelin Pilot Super Sports 275/35R20, wow $1700 with road hazard, UNREAL!

So very tempted to sell these wheels and go back to 18" F14's...

Oh but the Pilot Super Sports are SO good! I've got 20k miles on mine, two track days, tons of autocross, and probably half my tread left.

The MT tire looks like a straight copy of its tread pattern

28ONE

Reaction score
Can't remember where I read it but supposedly there was a collaboration between Cooper and MT. Yeah those Michelin's look sick but man that's a lot of bread for tires...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
New 2014 M/T Catalog,

Someone ask me to keep them in the loop on these when the new size came out for the 20".

Here is that information for those interested.

2014 M/T Catalog

Terry

Last edited:

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Any more reviews on these tires from owners? Looking for a new set of summer tires.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kylar,

I have not really looked for any new reports on the M/T Street Comp tires recently.

I can tell you that I have driven with my existing set for thousands of miles with No-Issues at all.

They do really good in rain an well as dry conditions.

No noise at all.

They balance nicely so no "SHAKING-Steering-Wheel" ............

They have a wear rating as you might have already read of 300.

So they wear really good and with the 300 wear rating are not real hard rubber.

If your looking for some Super-Sticky tires for Drag-Racing I'm not sure the M/T Street Comps would be the best choice IMO.

I have ran a lot of different tires as well as wheels on mine and the M/T seem to be a nice compromise for the street.

As I posted above I'M just waiting for a call from the M/T Rep. I have been working with since last year to let me know the New 305/35-20's have arrived.

At that point I am switching to the 275/35-20 Front & the 305/35-20's Rear.

BTW,

I do know there are a lot of people running the M/T Street Comp tires.
I have not really read many negative comments other than the guys wanting Maximum Traction.

They are not a Drag-Racing tire as I said above !!!

Terry

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone compared these to Pilot Super Sports? Curious how they hold up against them.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has anyone compared these to Pilot Super Sports? Curious how they hold up against them.

I have not ran the Pilot Super Sports on my Bullitt.

But I did run a new set on our previously owned 2011 MCS.

They also have a wear rating of 300.

I think the Michelin tires wear quicker than the M/T tires.

I can tell you the Michelin ran really well in the rain.

They made No-Noise and were easy to balance.

I personally think either set of tires would be just fine.

They both to me seem to do just fine on the street.

I decided to go with the M/T tires because I wanted to run the matching M/T SC-5 Wheels with their M/T Street Comp tires on the Bullitt.

I would have no worries at running the Michelin though and honestly if M/T had not formerly announced and also have in their 2014 catalog the new 305/35-20's.

I would have had no choice but to switch from the M/T Street Comp tires to another brand.

I personally don't like running the current M/T 275/35-20's on the 10.5" M/T SC-5 rear wheels.

To much wheel IMO for the 275/35-20 tires.

I went with the current set-up because I was told M/T was coming out with larger sizes in 2014.

Terry

Falkwa

forum member
Reaction score
i have these... fine for a DD and thats about it. 0 zero traction at the drag strip.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
New information on the incoming M/T Street Comp 305/35-20 tires ...

Up-Date,

As many of you know I have been following closely the M/T Street Comp tires in the soon to be released 305/35-20" size.

Looks like the long wait might be coming to a close in July 2014.

Here are some links to that information I found.

Mickey Thompson Links:

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=StreetComp

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=StreetComp&sku=6228&size=305/35R20&type=SS&bnr=y

American Muscle Link:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-comp-305-35-20.html

tigerhonaker

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the M/T's on my razors, I think they are great on the street, no road noise and handle very well dry or in the rain. but like falkwa said zero traction at the strip, no matter what I did at the track I blew them off.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Any more reviews on these tires from owners? Looking for a new set of summer tires.

Nice tires but they have their limits. With my power level I probably should have been running drag radials but I figured these would be plenty good. The traction was awesome the first 30-60 days then the tires turned hard and slick. They would break loose with no warning and it was almost like driving on ice sometimes. For 400-450hp I'm sure they would be fine and other than the lack of traction they were a nice riding tire. For high horsepower street applications I think buyers should look elsewhere though.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the M/T's on my razors, I think they are great on the street, no road noise and handle very well dry or in the rain. but like falkwa said zero traction at the strip, no matter what I did at the track I blew them off.

I agree that they are a super nice street tire.

As far as an Awesome tire for Traction and making passes at a drag-strip I don't think they would be the number 1 choice.

But ...........

I will also say I have had many different tires under my Bullitt Mustang on the street over the past 6-yrs. and none of them are all that great for traction on the street.

IMO any real street tire, (Not a Drag Radial) on a high H/P Mustang has no real traction on the street.

There are tires on the market currently that do have a heck of a lot better traction but there, (Wear-Factor) is really low for miles.

So, it comes down to one wanting, the very best traction with no concern over wear factor, or, a normal street tire with good traction and having many-many miles of use.

Tires in the 20" larger sizes to me are expensive.

So getting the ones with Maximum Traction with really low mileage I'll pass.

The ones I ran for a very limited time that had the best traction picked up everything on the street and threw that crap right under and on the rear fender areas.

I'm referring to picking up anything loose on the street.

You could hear all the loose stuff getting thrown up under and on the rear fenders.

So, I am simply saying it just really comes down to a few decisions.

(1) Maximum traction with no regards to, wear or crap being thrown up on the car.

(2) The tires that provide the very best traction for the most part don't do well if one is caught in a down-pour.

(3) Tires that do provide a nice ride, work well in the dry and or wet conditions and lastly give excellent mileage for wear.

There really is no wrong decision or tire choice I do-not think.

It simply is what the person's priorities are for their application.

Terry

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I agree that they are a super nice street tire.

As far as an Awesome tire for Traction and making passes at a drag-strip I don't think they would be the number 1 choice.

But ...........

I will also say I have had many different tires under my Bullitt Mustang on the street over the past 6-yrs. and none of them are all that great for traction on the street.

IMO any real street tire, (Not a Drag Radial) on a high H/P Mustang has no real traction on the street.

There are tires on the market currently that do have a heck of a lot better traction but there, (Wear-Factor) is really low for miles.

So, it comes down to one wanting, the very best traction with no concern over wear factor, or, a normal street tire with good traction and having many-many miles of use.

Tires in the 20" larger sizes to me are expensive.

So getting the ones with Maximum Traction with really low mileage I'll pass.

The ones I ran for a very limited time that had the best traction picked up everything on the street and threw that crap right under and on the rear fender areas.

I'm referring to picking up anything loose on the street.

You could hear all the loose stuff getting thrown up under and on the rear fenders.

So, I am simply saying it just really comes down to a few decisions.

(1) Maximum traction with no regards to, wear or crap being thrown up on the car.

(2) The tires that provide the very best traction for the most part don't do well if one is caught in a down-pour.

(3) Tires that do provide a nice ride, work well in the dry and or wet conditions and lastly give excellent mileage for wear.

There really is no wrong decision or tire choice I do-not think.

It simply is what the person's priorities are for their application.

Terry

Well put! there is no miracle tire that is going to be a "10" in every category. You have to get the best tire for your own needs.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the New (Mickey Thompson) Street Comp Tires ...

Up-Date,

Just received the following from my rep at Mickey Thompson tires.

August 26, 2014

Terry,

The 305/35R20 Street Comp tires were inspected and released on Friday, August 22nd.

There are several orders in the system, including yours and tires are continuously coming in.

Anytime now!

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So have you received your 305's yet?
Hi Larry,

Nope is the quick reply.

A little longer reply is I'm thinking they will show up just any day here at the house.

I'll be sure to come back here and Post a few Pics. of them when they get here.

I'll post the install Pics over on my main Thread here on S-197 when Discount Tire does the install.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks looking forward to the updates!
Larry,

I just made several phone calls to the retailers that handle the M/T tires.

This is the jest of what I have just found out on the 305/35-20's Street Comps.

They are on there way now to M/T.

Or they have arrived and have not yet gotten put in M/T warehouse.

That pretty much holds true for all the retailers I checked with.

Soooooooooooooooo

Based on that above information which BTW I was put on hold while they called M/T to verify when ???

I guess the wait continues !!!

I'll post here once I get any further information.

Terry

Last edited:

The01Cav

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with them, hopefully you'll be able to get them soon. I have a feeling they're going to fill up that rear end of the car really well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back