MM Road & Track Springs

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Ivan, what is your sway bar setup? You got the stockers still? You take off the rear bar? How is the oversteer/under steer bias? You hit your bump stops any? Lets bring this thread back around to the topic.

I'm running Steeda's front and rear swaybar kit (35mm adjustable front/25mm non-adjustable rear). The front bar is set to the middle position. I haven't really pushed the car, but the current setup feels more "oversteerish" than my prior springs (Steeda Sports).

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
My rear springs are very stiff (325lbs). I'm thinking about removing the rear sways to soften the rear for less "oversteer".

I'm running Steeda's front and rear swaybar kit (35mm adjustable front/25mm non-adjustable rear). The front bar is set to the middle position. I haven't really pushed the car, but the current setup feels more "oversteerish" than my prior springs (Steeda Sports).

Ok, I fought the urge earlier, but now it's too much to resist...TAKE OFF THE REAR SWAYBAR!!!!

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Ok, I fought the urge earlier, but now it's too much to resist...TAKE OFF THE REAR SWAYBAR!!!!

Wouldn't moving the front bar to the stiffest position reduce oversteer? Meh - who knows, it may feel just fine when pushed at the track...

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Wouldn't moving the front bar to the stiffest position reduce oversteer? Meh - who knows, it may feel just fine when pushed at the track...

You can and it would. That might also lower your overall grip though. If the rear rate is too high and you balance the front by increasing front wheel rate (which could reduce front grip) to get rid of oversteer would be an example.. I can tell you this: removing you're rear swaybar will almost certainly increase your rear lateral grip.

Last edited:

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm thinking way ahead for my own car, but the question I think is relevant here.

In this case, would getting an adjustable rear bar and setting it to the soft position help? It seems like that would potentially balance the car without going to full stiff on the front and reducing overall grip. Educate me. ;)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It would help as long as the soft position on the adjustable bar is softer than what you've got back there now.

A comparison of bar diameters will give you a hint, but since the arm length also matters (significantly!) you can't judge this based on bar diameter alone.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Fred Puhn's formula for sway bar stiffness of a solid steel bar (How To Make Your Car Handle)

Ignore all the leading decimal points. I grabbed this from a forum that allows multiple blank spaces and it's the simplest "fix" I could come up with.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 500,000 D^4
K (lbs/in) = _______________________________________________

. . . . . . . . . .(0.4244 x A^2 x B) + (0.2264 x C^3)

. . . . . . . . . . . . B
. . . . . . ._____________________
. . . . A| / . . . . . . . . . . \ C
. . . . .|/ . . . . . . .. . . . . \

A - Length of end perpendicular to B (torque arm - inches)
B - Length of center section (inches)
C - Length of end along arm (inches)
D - Diameter of bar (inches)

For a tubular bar, substitute [Outside Diameter]^4 - [[Inside Diameter]^4 for D^4

Edit - there are several other things that affect sta-bar stiffness, but the above formula seems to be about 95% accurate in most cases - close enough for most peoples' purposes.

Norm

Last edited:

DRock

Reaction score
What rates were you running?

8K front and 5k rear. Coilovers.

Honestly without the rear sway it rides better, handles better and feels as if the rear end doesnt want to come around as soon.

I feel with a solid rear the sway really isnt as important

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score

Honestly without the rear sway it rides better, handles better and feels as if the rear end doesnt want to come around as soon.

I feel with a solid rear the sway really isnt as important

Or for those who don't do the whole "8k/5k" thing, 450lbs/in and 280 lbs/in. Definitely would not want a rear bar with that setup. I'm contemplating pulling my stock 2009 GT rear bar with 550/275.

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
Or for those who don't do the whole "8k/5k" thing, 450lbs/in and 280 lbs/in. Definitely would not want a rear bar with that setup. I'm contemplating pulling my stock 2009 GT rear bar with 550/275.

I ended up going back to the 250 rear spring will see how it feels with stock rear bar, if oversteery will pull rear bar. I also have dampening and rebound adjustments. Remember talking to you about this!

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score

What coilovers are you running?

Could you explain a little more about this? (I'm a newb when it comes to swaybars)

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Could you explain a little more about this? (I'm a newb when it comes to swaybars)

What would you like to know about more specifically? The reason why I would pull the rear bar? The reason why I would pull the rear bar is based on my experience at 550/275lbs/in spring rates on my car. I feel that at my current rates the car is plenty loose (oversteer) and I personally am contemplating pulling my stock rear bar off because my front bar is already full stiff. Until I get to an actual autocross event, I'm not going to pull it though. He has less front spring rate than I do but more rear spring rate. That would push the car heavily into the oversteer direction, further than my car and thus I'd want less rear bar.

As for how swaybars work, well if we think of how springs work with weight transfer (not technically the correct term), coil springs work by reducing weight transfer the stiffer they get. The stiffer your springs are side to side the less body roll right? Well swaybars reduce body roll in a different way They reduce body roll by pulling weight off the inside tires and transferring it to the outside tires. The extreme example of this is a car that picks up an inside tire while turning. Depending on where your tires are at in their load range more swaybar can be a good thing or a bad thing. Good if you are under that load range and leaving grip on the table and bad if you are already at the max and more load reduces grip.

DRock

Reaction score
What coilovers are you running?

IM running BC's and really wish i had a stiffer spring up front. I would not recommend going any harder out back unless your going for the whole Becauseracecar thing. ha

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
IM running BC's and really wish i had a stiffer spring up front. I would not recommend going any harder out back unless your going for the whole Becauseracecar thing. ha

Maybe lower your car more. I've ran the same front rate before with no other change but ride height and could tell a difference in brake dive. That's if you don't feel like changing springs.

Spring rates are easily the most varied "Reccomendation" there is. Unless the car is prepped to run a particular track with a particular tire and particular geometries and particular everythig else, it's a compromise.

I'm not saying 280in/lb isn't stiff. But on a track it's a lot more at home than on the street. Dual purpose cars are a compromise unless you want to drive a race car on the street or an OEM car on the track; both are purpose built.

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Maybe lower your car more. I've ran the same front rate before with no other change but ride height and could tell a difference in brake dive. That's if you don't feel like changing springs.

Spring rates are easily the most varied "Reccomendation" there is. Unless the car is prepped to run a particular track with a particular tire and particular geometries and particular everythig else, it's a compromise.

I'm not saying 280in/lb isn't stiff. But on a track it's a lot more at home than on the street. Dual purpose cars are a compromise unless you want to drive a race car on the street or an OEM car on the track; both are purpose built.

Good coilovers really helps calm this down. I wont deny that my car is stiff, but the ride is not harsh. The only reason I wouldn't go with more rear spring rate is because I don't think it is necessary without a lot more front spring rate. For a DD 550/275 is probably the end of the road unless you get some silly pimpy dampers with regressive piston curves and all that jazz.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back