MM Road & Track Springs

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Got around the getting my new springs installed. Noticeable improvement (over my previously installed Steeda Sports) when taking corners on the street - can't wait to see how they hold upon the track in April. I haven't seen a photo of an S197 with these on, so - here ya go :highfive: (sorry for the amateur pics and the dirty car)

Spring Rates

• Front: 320-360 lb/in. The rate is progressive and approximate, ramping up from 320 lb/in at ride height to 360 lb/in at 2" of spring compression (about 1.9" of wheel travel).
  • Rear: 260-380 lb/in. The rate is progressive and approximate, ramping up from 260 lb/in at ride height to approximately 380 lb/in at 2" spring compression (wheel travel is also 2" because the rear spring is on the axle).

20140311_113722.jpg

20140311_113925.jpg

20140316_113038.jpg

20140316_113056.jpg

20140316_113209.jpg

20140316_113332.jpg

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
That looks killer. That's a lot of rear spring too, let us know how you set up your bars/shocks to deal with that. I haven't actually seen anybody take these on track yet, make sure to post a review.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are those rear springs conical? Did you have to modify the spring seat at all?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score
Are those rear springs conical? Did you have to modify the spring seat at all?

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Yes, they are. The chassis end of the spring is wider and the coils are closer together. The spring is more narrow on the axle side. No mod needed to install.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Good timing on this. I am thinking about these or Steeda Sports of Comps. Right now I'm leaning to Comps.

How does it handle on the street? Looks great, but I'm not sure I want the almost 2" drop they claim. I will be really interested in hearing how it handles on the track.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
That looks killer. That's a lot of rear spring too, let us know how you set up your bars/shocks to deal with that. I haven't actually seen anybody take these on track yet, make sure to post a review.

This setup was what I had mentioned in another thread about MM claiming they got a 1.2G sustained lateral load with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with that have a 300 treadwear. The test car was a square setup with either 275's or 285's.

If you run the MM front swaybar, you can leave off the rear bar altogether, as suggested on their website.

I would love to see some traqmate video of 1.2G's sustained on those tires.

MM springs have a good stance and a good rate for a conventional spring.

Claudermilk- If you want Steeda Comps, I'm probably gonna pull them off my car next weekend and put my Tokico's front springs back on.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This setup was what I had mentioned in another thread about MM claiming they got a 1.2G sustained lateral load with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with that have a 300 treadwear. The test car was a square setup with either 275's or 285's.

If you run the MM front swaybar, you can leave off the rear bar altogether, as suggested on their website.

I would love to see some traqmate video of 1.2G's sustained on those tires.

MM springs have a good stance and a good rate for a conventional spring.

Claudermilk- If you want Steeda Comps, I'm probably gonna pull them off my car next weekend and put my Tokico's front springs back on.

Actually, their website says to remove the rear bar if you're not using the MM front bar. (Or did I read that wrong...?)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Road-Track-springs-2005-14-Set-P1445.aspx

sholzer

forum member
Reaction score
Actually, their website says to remove the rear bar if you're not using the MM front bar. (Or did I read that wrong...?)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Road-Track-springs-2005-14-Set-P1445.aspx

I think you're reading it right. Guessing it has to due with ratio of front wheel rate to rear... with MM front bar, need rear bar to get wheel rate up to desired ratio, if not then stock front with no rear will get same F/R wheel ratios

That is a lot of rear spring rate though, I don't even think Terry is running that high of a spring rate on the back. Well maybe now he is, I forgot they upped the spring rates a little while ago from the 550/250 or whatever it was they were running for a while

What size tires are you running Ivan? They don't look like a 2" drop, look similar to my pro kit springs

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
1.2g with a Pilot Super Sport? Please excuse my skepticism

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
1.2g with a Pilot Super Sport? Please excuse my skepticism

That's why I want to see traqmate. I'm not gonna say impossible. Just an absurdly impressive number....in my opinion.

1.2G peak sounds reasonable.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking of going to this now that I am getting more in autocross since my sportline don't cut it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Thinking of going to this now that I am getting more in autocross since my sportline don't cut it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

If you plan on doing any semi-serious autocrossing, I'd forgo conventional springs and struts and go with a proper coilover. The spring options are significantly cheaper and you can get rates in pretty close intervals for making changes to how the car handles. For less than the complete Road and Track Grip Box from MM you can get proper coilovers with camber plates from Ground Control and some decent linear spring rates and do more with your car than just lower it 1.8". At 450/225, the ride quality is still very good. Hell, at 550/275 the ride quality isn't too bad either.

Sure you don't get the front swaybar or PHB but I'm assuming you already have those or something better.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
What tires and dampers do you have now?

koni yellow and bfgoodrich sport comp 2. I want coil overs but only been at two events and going to maybe a handful more it is hard to justify it at this point.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
koni yellow and bfgoodrich sport comp 2. I want coil overs but only been at two events and going to maybe a handful more it is hard to justify it at this point.

Yeah for sure. Make sure it's something you want to do, and you have the car you want to do it with before you write too fat of a check.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back