My long awaited build... (I don't think 56k exist anymore) So lots of pics...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Those will come when this thing blows up.

I said the same thing.......

4 years later @ 12+ psi and it still hasn't blown up. No substitue for a good tune, good gas and common sense. I'm just now getting around to upgrading my rotating group.

Boozshey

Reaction score
I said the same thing.......

4 years later @ 12+ psi and it still hasn't blown up. No substitue for a good tune, good gas and common sense. I'm just now getting around to upgrading my rotating group.

Which is the reason I am only talking with JDM for advice...

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you're having trouble with the valve spring tool there are two possiblities
1. the cam lobe is in the wrong position preventing the follower from being able to be removed
2. the tool is hitting the head bolt or boss preventing it from pushing the valve spring all the way down

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
limiter2.jpg
Just noticed something in this picture. Where is the top part of the parking spring assembly?

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
Just noticed something in this picture. Where is the top part of the parking spring assembly?

Yeah, it was non existent on both sides... I guess I should have questioned it, but figured that maybe since I have such an old 05 maybe they weren't need for whatever reason. I will call around on Monday and ask, if anything I am out some time and $25 in new phaser bolts.

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
if you're having trouble with the valve spring tool there are two possiblities
1. the cam lobe is in the wrong position preventing the follower from being able to be removed
2. the tool is hitting the head bolt or boss preventing it from pushing the valve spring all the way down

I should recant my comment. It isn't a POS, it just frustrated me. There is however no damage to the tool. I just think the lobe position was off a little and wouldn't allow the follow to come out easily.

So I removed the tool and just back everything else off. The wedge did it's job wonderfully though and was a sinch to use. :)

Thanks again for loaning me the tools!!!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Yeah, it was non existent on both sides... I guess I should have questioned it, but figured that maybe since I have such an old 05 maybe they weren't need for whatever reason. I will call around on Monday and ask, if anything I am out some time and $25 in new phaser bolts.
My engine was manufactured in late 04 and had it on both phasers

Boozshey

Reaction score
Mine was 08/04... But yeah I noticed it also, made comment about it, looked around for it and it was no place. So I put everything back together. Took the other side off this time paying a lot more attention to if it was there. And there was nothing there again.

You will also notice the pic that Comp has shows the spring above the level of the sprocket. My spring sat down inside and level with the sprocket... I dunno...

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Interesting.....

I know there have been a lot of changes to phasers over the years.

Can you read the engineering number that is lazer etched into the phaser? Specifically the last 2 digits?

Boozshey

Reaction score
Surely you have the latest TSB on how to remove them without braking them right........

Yup, no such luck there... 0 for 8. Torque wrench set at 25 and only popped a couple times. Then I went back and fourth as instructed and still broke every single one... :/

Here are 4, the other 4 are stuck in the heads separated and won't move. So I will make a couple calls tomorrow for some help... On to something else.

plugs-2.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

Boozshey

Reaction score
Look on the relucter wheel 180* from the numbers you have posted in your picture - should be there.

Might want to read through this thread if you're bored. The latest engineering change ends in a "KA". I would be interested to see what the engineering number is on your phasers.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25813&highlight=phaser

Says "FordMoCo some numbers then FA"

So I guess FA is what you are looking for?

As described in that thread. I only had 1 long bolt also which the clock spring attached itself to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back