NastyStang gets a Full Detail

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
DAMN................how long ago was that? The only 3M product I use is Perfect-It

Last year 3M acquired Meguiars, they're still seperate companies as far as products go, but I believe the supply chain is integrated now.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
My same findings, humidity in Pittsburgh is nasty too. Applying the wax in May-June was a chore. In September-October, it was easy as pie. Welcome to the world of high content Carnauba waxes. Theyre so not user friendly like the otc stuff but their results are worth it.

I kept thinking to myself I have to be applying too thick but I wasn't.

On the topic of high content carnuba waxes. Do you have any idea what carnuba content Meguiars #16 has?

Last year 3M acquired Meguiars, they're still seperate companies as far as products go, but I believe the supply chain is integrated now.

So you really think they have went downhill? How so?

I wonder if the release of the Microfiber Correction kit had anything to do with the acquisition.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
#16 is a synthetic blend wax like #26 is. Its probably not too high either. Its not the wax content that makes 16 so durable.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
All the rebranded OTC stuff and labeling it as pro grade

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
#16 is a synthetic blend wax like #26 is. Its probably not too high either. Its not the wax content that makes 16 so durable.

I knew it was a blend and wasn't thinking it was very high but was just curious. I knew that because it was a blend that is where it got it's durability from and it's durable for sure! I really can't believe how durable it is, it's a super old product. I bought a bunch of it from out of the country a while back and it still remains one of my favorites. I got 8 months out of it before it started to fall off. It probably made it 10 months before it was completely shot.

All the rebranded OTC stuff and labeling it as pro grade

Which products are you talking about?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I knew it was a blend and wasn't thinking it was very high but was just curious. I knew that because it was a blend that is where it got it's durability from and it's durable for sure! I really can't believe how durable it is, it's a super old product. I bought a bunch of it from out of the country a while back and it still remains one of my favorites. I got 8 months out of it before it started to fall off. It probably made it 10 months before it was completely shot.

Which products are you talking about?

The Ultimate series is pretty much rebranded Pro Stuff, along with NXT etc. Except from what I hear the pro series is whats taking the back seat in quality.

the detailer brand (my fav) is still left untouched from what I've seen

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I washed it tonight and started applying a coat of Adam's Americana again. It went on and off much easier than before. It wasn't bad at all! I've got half of it left to do tomorrow so we'll see how rough it is during the day.

I made some mods to my hose. LOL I put all brass QDs with an auto off. I spent $30 just in the fittings. It's really nice for switching between the pressure washer, etc without having to walk to the spicket and turn it off. I also cut a run of a couple feet of hose. I put a male QD on the one end and left the other end without any type of fitting. I cut the hose at a 45 degree angle to use specifically for the "sheeting method" prior to drying. So because of this I also added a Gilmour On/Off valve down the hose a bit as well. I'm not 100% sure about keeping it. It was nice when I was cleaning out the buckets and still had the "sheeting" hose attachment on there.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Here are some pictures from tonight's wash. This really shows how slick the surface is because the water not only beads but it slips right off. Even shows how the soap from the foam cannon pre-rinse slides right off. This is exactly what you're looking for with the foam cannon. The soap is going to suspend the dirt off the paint and than slide off.

463b0603.jpg

4848bf5f.jpg

c73943e3.jpg

a52c4e21.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
How long do ya let that sit?

The soap? I lit it sit for about 2 minutes or so. So by the time I finish the last panel I'll wait a minute and it's good.

If you were talking about the Adam's Americana, don't think you were but, I only let it sit for the time it takes me to get done with half or a whole panel. The stuff just turns to concrete.

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
So does this foam cannon really make it touch free? and if I were to use one would you recommend using it on the engine bay as well? I am not a car cleaning expert by any means so I am curious and didnt even know what a foam cannon was or any of this other stuff until i saw this thread lol. I pictured a foam cannon as like this RPG style blaster with huge globs of foam coming out lol

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
So does this foam cannon really make it touch free? and if I were to use one would you recommend using it on the engine bay as well? I am not a car cleaning expert by any means so I am curious and didnt even know what a foam cannon was or any of this other stuff until i saw this thread lol. I pictured a foam cannon as like this RPG style blaster with huge globs of foam coming out lol

depends how dirty the car is. Foam cannons loosen up the majority of the dirt so you're not creating more friction than need be, when you go over the car with your sponge, mitt etc with soap.

Helps reduce inducing swirls.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score

Depends. If the car is just dusty than more than likely you can get away with the foam cannon. If not than you'll use the foam cannon as a pre-rinse and than continue your wash with the two bucket method, etc. I wouldn't recommend it on the motor compartment.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I washed it tonight and started applying a coat of Adam's Americana again. It went on and off much easier than before. It wasn't bad at all! I've got half of it left to do tomorrow so we'll see how rough it is during the day.

I made some mods to my hose. LOL I put all brass QDs with an auto off. I spent $30 just in the fittings. It's really nice for switching between the pressure washer, etc without having to walk to the spicket and turn it off. I also cut a run of a couple feet of hose. I put a male QD on the one end and left the other end without any type of fitting. I cut the hose at a 45 degree angle to use specifically for the "sheeting method" prior to drying. So because of this I also added a Gilmour On/Off valve down the hose a bit as well. I'm not 100% sure about keeping it. It was nice when I was cleaning out the buckets and still had the "sheeting" hose attachment on there.

You go with the Gilmour stuff? I have all my stuff set up like that with the quick disconnects. Can't figure out how I lived without out it for so long.

I also have a small piece I bought and modified for sheeting action, too. But I've got lazy lately and just use the blower since I'm inside and don't have to hurry too much.

As far as the foam cannon being touch free. I look at it like this. If it's just dust then it's ok to do, but it's not going to get 100% of the stuff off, so no way I would hand dry a car after just foaming and rinsing. So, if I just foam I'm for sure just using the blower. But I most always do that anyway.

However, I very rarely use just the foam gun, But I use it religiously as a pre-wash

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
You go with the Gilmour stuff? I have all my stuff set up like that with the quick disconnects. Can't figure out how I lived without out it for so long.

No, I didn't. I've used them in the past and I find they aren't that great of quality. The quick disconnects I bought are from ACE Hardware and have an auto off so you canjust disconnect them without having to turn the water off. They are solid brass, no plastic. They seem like they are pretty nice.

The On/Off valve is Gilmoure and it's a pretty nice piece. I ended up having to use some teflon tape on both ends because it was leaking. I bought two of them in case of this, planning on returning one, and both of them did this. So I used teflon tape and it seems like it's pretty much leak free.

I also have a small piece I bought and modified for sheeting action, too. But I've got lazy lately and just use the blower since I'm inside and don't have to hurry too much.

LOL.

As far as the foam cannon being touch free. I look at it like this. If it's just dust then it's ok to do, but it's not going to get 100% of the stuff off, so no way I would hand dry a car after just foaming and rinsing. So, if I just foam I'm for sure just using the blower. But I most always do that anyway.

However, I very rarely use just the foam gun, But I use it religiously as a pre-wash

I agree. However there are times when my car is only dusty that a pre-rinse with the foam cannon get it pretty much spotless. The only thing that isn't spotless is because of any of the water spots. I only bother trying this when I know it's going to work out. I'll go over the car and make sure it's safe and I'll use Poorboy's Spray & Wipe which is an awesome product IMO.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I bought the Gilmour stuff, but I opted for the solid brass parts instead of the plastic versions, so I'm pretty happy with mine. Really is nice not having to run back and cut off the hose every time I want use something different on the end. Course I was an idiot and ordered mine with my foam gun, come to find out, they sell all the same stuff at Lowe's, lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back