Paint sealant

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not really... NXT is like the diet coke of sealants.

for about $5 more, you could order a better product that gives a nicer finish, and lasts longer. A lot of guys push Blackfire Wet Diamond. I've been pushing nano resins a lot, since theyre just that amazing, but not for everyone.

How is the nano resin applied? And what if one was to hit a few car shows through out the year that were spread out? If the nano lasts a long time, what do you do through out the year for a car show finish with out re-applying the resin stuff?

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
How is the nano resin applied? And what if one was to hit a few car shows through out the year that were spread out? If the nano lasts a long time, what do you do through out the year for a car show finish with out re-applying the resin stuff?

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1015289&postcount=228

They can last 18-24 months. Also can be "reloaded" with their sprays, which adds a super slick and deep finish. They're not snake oils, as they are proven technology, that has just recently surfaced within the past 9 months for detailing.

Last edited:

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, from a detailing snobs perspective not at all. You'd be amazed how good some of the online boutique products are vs. OTC and not too much more in cost.

The reason I ask is, is a good friend of mine works for Meguiars in the NE region. He is what you would call a pro, and teaches people on paint correction, and protection..He actually says the opposite of you..That alot more expensive products out there are over kill and arent "better" per say..He has worked for them for years and has held hundreds of seminars on paint protection.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The reason I ask is, is a good friend of mine works for Meguiars in the NE region. He is what you would call a pro, and teaches people on paint correction, and protection..He actually says the opposite of you..That alot more expensive products out there are over kill and arent "better" per say..He has worked for them for years and has held hundreds of seminars on paint protection.

Says the man who works for Meguiars, pushing a Meguiars product... who would've thunk it. Meguiars makes some excellent polishes and detailer brand products. 105 and 205 are great for surface correction. But protection and shine, well this is where a lot of other companies fill the gap. 90% of a car's finish and appearance does come from surface prep and polishing. Meguiars, Menzerna and 3M, all great surface prep makers. Meguiars makes it money selling to all markets on a quantity basis.

I don't think any from Meguiars would be stupid enough to go out there and try to compare their products to say like a Zymol, Swissvax or even a Dodo Juice. Maybe the average joe doesn't care, but a true hobbyist does. This is a market Meguiars has a horrible time capturing.

If you go on autopia, there are plenty of independant studies that show NXT's durability is sub par, and while its appearance is subjective, a lot feel it is lacking vs boutique products that are similar in cost.

I am not saying you need to spend $100s to get a good finish. NXT was designed to be a high end OTC product. It does in fact, not compete well against the online boutique products that are more for the hobbyist and not the average joe.

Last edited:

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its all good info none the less. I will probably try it next time my car is due for good detail. I am not a Meguiar's nut hugger, lol. I just trust what my friend tells me. Alot of 1st place trophy's at car shows for those that follow his critique and applications..:thumb2:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Its all good info none the less. I will probably try it next time my car is due for good detail. I am not a Meguiar's nut hugger, lol. I just trust what my friend tells me. Alot of 1st place trophy's at car shows for those that follow his critique and applications..:thumb2:

I'll say a good thing about meguiars is this, they have the most concours d'elegance wins. Like I've said, surface prep is 90% of a car's finish.

You could take a beautifully finished car, and slap $2 turtle wax on it, and it would look "good" enough to fool any amateur judge.

But as said before, technology has advanced, we've been using waxes for over 100 years and sealants for about 30. They're getting a little old hat.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Billy, you still haven't tried the BFWD????

It's 100 x better than NXT for a sealant

Plus, you can apply multiple coats of it and you can't with NXT

Steedman07

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Billy, you still haven't tried the BFWD????

Plus, you can apply multiple coats of it and you can't with NXT

Nope..I will though..:thumb2:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Just picked up a bottle of Rejex today. Seer you ever use it? I'm thinking for the wheels it'll be great. Do you think it would work on the exhaust tips? Too hot?

Thats the current rumor.

doesn't matter though, too many manufacturers are working on Nano Resins right now. Sealants will be gone in 2 years.

I would be happy with that! PBMA is quite a stable company or so it seems.

As long as they can improve the appearance of them. I still think sealants will be around because they do have their place. I know quite a few people simply not interested in any nano sealant because they like waxing their cars and like waxing their cars often. They enjoy trying out new products, etc. I've seen some reviews saying waxing on top of the nano based products don't give quite the same results. I can't speak from experience though.

Keep in mind guys the Nano Resins also protect against swirls too. So if you have a less than perfect washing session, your chances of inducing swirls are diminished.

This is probably one of the nicest parts about it. I'm sure it would also provide somewhat of protection against dirt and small rocks on the highway.

Is a sealant necessary for a car that is always in the garage, gets driven about 4 times a month and never sees rain?? I compound only when needed and I use a good polish by hand and then a couple coats of NXT twice a season(Mar-Nov)..Regular cleanings in between with some spray wax..

No, you probably don't really need it. A high quality carnuba would do well. However in my mind I'd much rather have a coat of a sealant as well as a high quality carnuba on my car at all times. Like Seer says below NXT is a polymer sealant.

for about $5 more, you could order a better product that gives a nicer finish, and lasts longer. A lot of guys push Blackfire Wet Diamond. I've been pushing nano resins a lot, since theyre just that amazing, but not for everyone.

Amen, I'm one of those guys. Blackfire Wet Diamond is an awesome product.

Agreed but than again so are a lot of products. LOL :roflmao:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Just picked up a bottle of Rejex today. Seer you ever use it? I'm thinking for the wheels it'll be great. Do you think it would work on the exhaust tips? Too hot?

I used to use Rejex on the wheels... but youre gonna hate me. Thats Aquartz job now, tips too. It goes on everything except my tires. Body, trim, windows, tips, wheels... to quote a character from a show called The Kids in the Hall, "I wanna dip my balls in it!"

NastyStang113 said:
As long as they can improve the appearance of them. I still think sealants will be around because they do have their place. I know quite a few people simply not interested in any nano sealant because they like waxing their cars and like waxing their cars often. They enjoy trying out new products, etc. I've seen some reviews saying waxing on top of the nano based products don't give quite the same results. I can't speak from experience though.

Agree to disagree. Carbs got the job done too, and people loved tuning them... hmm where did they go? Nano resins will replace Sealants, mark my words. It's the same similar technology, just at a nanoscopic level, and using hardened quartz like glass resins instead of synthetics and polymeres. The appearance is richer, deeper, and more "wax" like. They last longer, and provide a number of more benefits that I listed in the detailing sticky. There is absolutely ZERO benefit to placing a Synthetic or Polymere Sealant on top of a Nano Resin. People are in fact applying beauty waxes on them.

Although now the nano resin reload sprays are even mimicing the Carnauba glow, depth and jetting property. Carnaubas and Sealants stil attract to much dust, and aren't nearly as hydrophoic as the nanos. Another greater factor is their scratch reduction properties, since at the end of the day once the nano cures, it is basically a hardened quartz that is sitting on top of your clear coat. Not a chemical protection.

NastyStang113 said:
This is probably one of the nicest parts about it. I'm sure it would also provide somewhat of protection against dirt and small rocks on the highway.

Bingo, since it is a hardened quartz with hydrophobic and anti static properties, dust, road dirt and water don't stay attached as much as the other products. It's reduction to scratching is another key.

NastyStang113 said:
No, you probably don't really need it. A high quality carnuba would do well. However in my mind I'd much rather have a coat of a sealant as well as a high quality carnuba on my car at all times. Like Seer says below NXT is a polymer sealant.

I'd still put a sealant as the base coat, then a carnauba on top. He has a black car. Depending on the carnauba one hot summer day and those horizontal panels are toast with the carnauba.

NastyStang113 said:
Amen, I'm one of those guys. Blackfire Wet Diamond is an awesome product.

It's a good product too

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I think that's why I'm not seeing much time out of the Americana on my car. The car is still beading water, sheeting water, blowing water efficiently. However it doesn't have that slick feel to the back of your hand like you normally feel. I think I might put a coat of Meguiars #16 because of the durability for the summer.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I think that's why I'm not seeing much time out of the Americana on my car. The car is still beading water, sheeting water, blowing water efficiently. However it doesn't have that slick feel to the back of your hand like you normally feel. I think I might put a coat of Meguiars #16 because of the durability for the summer.

I actually had good luck with it up here.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score

I'll take a diet coke over any other soda anyday. Not because I think it will make me skinny or anything but I think it tastes better haha. I am in the minority, I know.

personally, I can't tell the difference between NXT and Gold Class and any other wax (though I've never used really cheap wax like turtle wax). It just looks shiny to me and I can see myself in the reflection and I'm happy.

I'm more about protection and long lasting application. Looks like the nano stuff is for me.

For you detailers out there, consider me a novice at this. I've used stuff liks Scratch X and Ultimate compound before somewhat successfully by hand. However, my car is 2nd hand and it has a ton of swirling. Would you guys say it is worth investing in a porter cable and all the compounds (mentioned and linked previously in this thread) and then using a nano sealant thing over it?

Perhaps Seer could answer this question best since he has experience, but I'm not looking to make detailing a constant hobby. Would I be better off (taking my severe lack of experience into consideration) just paying a detailer to spruce up my car and then apply nano sealant and just hit it with the refresher spray every now and then? I'd be okay with washing the car every 2-3 weeks and hitting it with some of that spray. Or even applying additional coats over the resin.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'll take a diet coke over any other soda anyday. Not because I think it will make me skinny or anything but I think it tastes better haha. I am in the minority, I know.

personally, I can't tell the difference between NXT and Gold Class and any other wax (though I've never used really cheap wax like turtle wax). It just looks shiny to me and I can see myself in the reflection and I'm happy.

I'm more about protection and long lasting application. Looks like the nano stuff is for me.

For you detailers out there, consider me a novice at this. I've used stuff liks Scratch X and Ultimate compound before somewhat successfully by hand. However, my car is 2nd hand and it has a ton of swirling. Would you guys say it is worth investing in a porter cable and all the compounds (mentioned and linked previously in this thread) and then using a nano sealant thing over it?

Perhaps Seer could answer this question best since he has experience, but I'm not looking to make detailing a constant hobby. Would I be better off (taking my severe lack of experience into consideration) just paying a detailer to spruce up my car and then apply nano sealant and just hit it with the refresher spray every now and then? I'd be okay with washing the car every 2-3 weeks and hitting it with some of that spray. Or even applying additional coats over the resin.

Well if you invest in a PC7424-XP, the pads, compound, and polishes, you will always be able to fix any defect your car comes across for about the same price if you paid a detailer. Training investment is about 20 minutes watching how to's. Autogeek has some amazing videos for novice detailer training.

Detailers who do paint correction are a mixed bag. Some do an excellent job, others not so much. I'd beware of those $150 wash, paint correct and wax guys. Theyre basically trying to hit your car with a first pass of polish and a rotary and not carring if they leave buffer trails or not. You'd be amazed at how many hologrammed cars you can see in the summer time.

I'm not a detailer, but I do keep a steady client flow (typically people wanting to get the show car shine) to my house for full corrections, and I usually charge for the type of work I do, since it needs to be worth my time. I work 40-60 hours a week at my actual job, if I am going to invest time working in the nights or weekends it better pay me well. I typically charge between $65-75/hr for detail work, and my work reflects it well (keep in mind I am also using my own personal products). Expect a full multi pass buff job with clay barring to take about 5-7 hours.

Personally I'd buy your own equipment, gain the knowledge, and who knows you may find yourself out having a new hobby and/or a way to make cash on the side too. A Porter Cable doesn't really have the oomph to ruin your paint unless you leave it on a corner of your car in the same exact spot for 5+ minutes while you go drink a beer lol. Any marring you induce can easily be corrected.

Theres plenty of good starter kits that include polishes, pads etc for about mid $200s.

As far as the resin itself. You're looking at $50 for ~40ml (good for one application). Reload sprays are in the $20s, can be applied as often as you like, although most advertised ~4 months of protection. The resin itself, is roughly 18-24 months, depending on your weather conditions.

To apply the resin, you take a damp MF cloth and spray about 2-3 pumps of the resin on it, and spread in a 2'x2' area on your car. Immediately buff off (it's not the easiest to wipe off), then go over the area again.

You can do glass, trim, clear coat, wheels, mouldings etc.

The resin will not wear away with IPA or Dish Detergent. Bird bombs also do not eat through it since it is not a chemical protectorant. The only way to remove it is to buff it off, or let is just wear away. If you check the detail sticky I placed a post at the end that tells about its benefits.

james05gt

forum member
Reaction score
Seer, can you apply the aquartz to vinyl? I have vinyl stripes. Or would it be wise to just tape off the vinyl and just seal the actual paint.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Seer, can you apply the aquartz to vinyl? I have vinyl stripes. Or would it be wise to just tape off the vinyl and just seal the actual paint.

You can apply to Vinyl. You can apply it to anything, as long as the surface is bare. Meaning no chemicals currently on it. So do not apply it over a waxed/sealed surface.

Make sure it is bare.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score

I am going to recomend something to you in the interim before you go the sealent route. I am much like you in the sense that I don't have the time to be a serious detailer. I just Clayed, Glazed and Waxed my car over the weekend and tried a new product (to me anyways) that I recomend you give a shot.

Poor Boy's Black Hole glaze is just awesome. It will fill alot of your swirls and make your paint look nice and glossy. While obviously not an alernative to a true paint correction, it will make your paint look the best it can without doing a full cut and polish. I followed it up with a shot of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet and I am very happy with the results. I know that eventually the product will wear and all the nasties will show up again, but, for th time being the paint looks superb. I know Nastystang has used it as well and I'm sure he can attest to how nice it works.

Just a thought seeing as your car is black as is mine.

:cheers:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Just a thought seeing as your car is black as is mine.
That sounds awesome. I have been looking for this exact product but everyone always told me "no, you can't hide swirls at all". Will definitely try this out! Thanks!

You can apply to Vinyl. You can apply it to anything, as long as the surface is bare. Meaning no chemicals currently on it. So do not apply it over a waxed/sealed surface.

Make sure it is bare.

Seer, thanks for your comprehensive explanation. And wow on the cost of the resin. Let me understand this though. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Apply resin, $40 a pop, maybe more since I am clumsy at applying things in a thin coat. This will harden and create a protective layer that lasts, let's just be conservative and say one year, though you say 18-24 months is not uncommon. Would applying twice or three times create a thicker and longer lasting layer? Or is this a waste of money/time?

2) Then the refresher or booster spray. What exactly is that? Does that add to the resin and layers on another coat? Or does it just spruce it up to make it shiny? And if so, without the booster spray, does the finish look dull?

3) Can you reapply more resin at anytime or must you wait until the previous application wears off or you buff it off? And by buff it off (to remove it) do you mean this requires a DA? Or can you buff it by hand?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I'll add another question. When the resin starts to wear off (if you don't buff it off) will it look like clear coat pealing off since it probably won't wear off evenly? Or does it just wear off and disappear evenly?

S197gt07

forum member
Reaction score
This resin stuff sounds like the way to go, and like you stated will make sealants a thing of the past.

Call me stupid, but you can still layer a wax on top of the resin stuff correct?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back