Picked up a F90BT. Couple questions

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Alright, picked up a Pioneer F90BT for the stang. I found out how to bypass the dvd/nav to make them both work while driving the car. I just need to know exactly which speakers the stock amps run and the watts? I'd like to replace some of the speakers, but need to know what the stock amps run on the shaker 500, all the speakers, or just the subs in the doors, etc?

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The front door speakers and rear package tray speakers are powered by the head unit. The door subs are powered by the two amps on the drivers floor kick panel.

As for wattage, I really don't remember. But most likely the head unit you have is what... a 4X45 or 4X50. That is probably about what the stock Skipper is. I'm sure that sooner or later you are going to replace the factory speakers anyway. I would just run it until then.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
So the door subs are probably 150 peak each....damn, what a weak ass system...lol. I'm wiring up the 1000 subs in back also, but maybe i'll throw some 8w1 JL's in the doors for door subs.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Did you guys need a dash kit for it, or just put the stock brackets on the radio? I'm going to take the stocker out tonight and want to make sure I have everything.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just bought a F90BT yesterday from crutchfield, my D-2 kicked the bucket. It comes with the moutning and cover plates for free, but i already have the avic-d2 so its just gonna be a quick swap. Hope the install goes well.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I picked up my F90BT on ebay for $578 shipped brand new, not refurbed. I then bought the PAC module/harness which gave me all the wires needed to hook it up so I wasn't chasing down the vss wire up at the pcm. Well worth the $130. Everything is in and I even had time to wire up the shaker1000 subs I bought from Hawg about a year or so ago...lol. Now I just need to wire my line locks and some led's up.:beerchug2:

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice. You wouldn't happen to have a link/pic/part # to that special cable that you speak of would you?

Let's get some pics of the hookup!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Depending on the GPS you have you might not need the VSS signal. My original system which was DVD based used the VSS signal, the Garmin I have now does not.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It pops when you start the car up if you dont get a resistor put in it while you have the stock speakers

Yes, it will pop if you use the stock amps because Ford uses a different voltage for the amp on signal than what is conventional. But it's not a resistor on the speaker you need, it is a voltage regulator on the amp on signal wire.

See post number 2 in this thread

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
It pops when you start the car up if you dont get a resistor put in it while you have the stock speakers

FWIW, Kimmer has the PAC C2R-FRD1 wiring harness. It does not require the regulator mod.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I turned the key beep off for the navi part put everwhere else the keep beep is still on.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Make sure you update the firmware in that radio. It makes WORLDS of difference. The radio was almost unusable with the older firmware versions (which is why you got it so cheap). http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Navigation/Free+Firmware+Update+2+for+AVIC+F-Series

Mine came with the 2.0 firmware, and that's the latest, so definitely not why it was cheap. All I know is that I saved $400 compared to a local dealer and got the exact same unit he was selling with the ipod cable. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Josh, go to ebay and check them out. I'm not sure how they are selling them more than 200 under cost, but I was damn happy they were...lol

BTW, the PAC harness kicks ass and worked like advertised! I'll get a part number for you bigwilly!:beerchug2:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Here you go bigwill! www.pac-audio.com

C2R-FRD1 is the part number. Here is a brief description, for select 2005+ Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles wtih MSCAN databus radios. Using this interface will enable factory features such as rear seat entertainment (RSE), rear seat controls (RSC) and the THXII amplifier when the original radio is removed. Other features of the C2R-FRD1 include data bus driven retained accessory power (RAP), vehicle speed sensor (VSS) output, illumination, reverse output, parking brake output and a 5 volt regulated amp turn on for factory installed subwoofers.:beerchug2:

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
Mine came with the 2.0 firmware, and that's the latest, so definitely not why it was cheap. All I know is that I saved $400 compared to a local dealer and got the exact same unit he was selling with the ipod cable. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Josh, go to ebay and check them out. I'm not sure how they are selling them more than 200 under cost, but I was damn happy they were...lol

BTW, the PAC harness kicks ass and worked like advertised! I'll get a part number for you bigwilly!:beerchug2:

Tell me about it I got it when I first got back from Iraq last year, when they had just come out. I paid $1200 for it + 100 to install it, and it didnt work right for about the first 6 months. Always locked up, wouldnt answer the phone, wouldnt hang the phone up, the nav would stop moving, you would lose control of the music and couldnt stop it. All sorts of crazy shit. And it took eleventy seven hours to boot up rendering backup cameras useless.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 2.0 firmware too i got it from crutchfield for $750. Have yall figured out how to turn the key beep off completely??? Its so annoying!

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
No but there is a lot of information on the internet about "hacking" the radio and making it run whatever you want. The info was on avic411.com. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back