power shifting into overdrive t3650

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by rojizostang, Aug 8, 2013.

1. rojizostang

rojizostang i love my cams S197 Team Member

well, registration for the texas mile opens in a couple of days. i've been thinking of making the trip to beeville to see what the lil hoopty would do. since i'm running 4.56 gears, it will be necessary to get the car into 5th gear in order to make it past about 120 mph or so. thing is, i've always powershifted 2-3-4, but i've never tried 5th, and don't know anything about transmissions and am concerned that slamming into overdrive might leave the gears in pieces.

comments, thoughts?

i'm not really interested in doing a six speed conversion or anything like that...

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

don't

if you really want to go fast, either swap the gears to a lower ratio or get as tall of a tire as you can on the back

3. Sky Render

Sky Render Stig's Retarded Cousin S197 Team Member

Your gears are too steep for landspeed racing.

4. rojizostang

i'm running 295/45/18's. 28.5 inches tall

in theory anyway, at 7k, with the tire and gear i'm running, the car would go 190 mph.

now i know it won't do that, but i'm sure that it won't run out of gear with the tires i'm running. so the question is weather or not the transmission would hold a power shift into overdrive. i have no problem granny shifting into OD.

5. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

[​IMG]

6. rojizostang

where'd you find the picture of my g-ma?

7. stkjock

INS booking

8. muztangman93

muztangman93 forum member

I was always told to not go wot in over drive. Don't know if that only applies to boosted cars or what.

9. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

Que? LOL!

10. jewc75

jewc75 S197 Junkie S197 Team Member

You don't need to powershift, just shift normally.

11. rojizostang

anyone have any thoughts on this?

12. stkjock

It puts a lot of load on the clutch.

13. rojizostang

i could see it being an issue with a high horsepower car...and with an auto especially. not sure though that i should really be overly concerned with a mere 330 or so rwhp or whatever it is it makes....i mean as far as the clutch is concerned

14. OneQwkStang

OneQwkStang Improving the Breed

Do it, report back here when you have completed your mission.

15. hamish

hamish forum member

Tried it once and never again stkjock is right, my clutch did not like!!

16. Department Of Boost

Department Of Boost Alpha Geek

Power shifting 5th will not make your car any faster in the mile.

17. marcspaz

marcspaz ~Resigned~

OP... DON'T DO IT. I destroyed a TR3650 doing what you are getting ready to do.

I had a stock trans with a spec 3+ clutch, 4.56:1 FRPP gears and about 360 RWHP. I was racing and at about 115 I slammed that bitch into 5th. The syncros were slightly out of alignment due to the WOT 4-5 shift and the force literally blasted a gear shift rail into pieces and gears started to bounce around inside the gear box. 3rd and reverse were the only 2 not immediately affected, but with all the carnage, the trans was a total loss. I barely made it back to the pits under my own power.

18. drive_55_not

drive_55_not forum member

^^ This,, My 1st pass at the Texas Mile I skipped 4th and ran 162 with a 20knot head wind, My next 6 passes rowing thru the gears normally and shifting at 7000 netted 166mph passes with a best of 167. The wind died down a little on that pass.

Also like the others sed, powershifting into 5th is not just hard on the clutch it's hard on the tranny, The 5th gear gear set is pretty small and slamming power to it is a good way to grenade it.

19. kdanner

kdanner forum member

Ever do this before? It's a great time. Just don't powershift it. Your shift to fifth will happen before the half. Rough guess, you'll be 150ish out the back.

20. Jason09GT

Jason09GT forum member

I'm having a hard time justifying why you would want to powershift 5th gear. I don't even powershift on the street anymore, if i'm not on a track trying to ring every .0001 out of it, it does no good.

Want to go fast, swap out 3.55's or 3.73's, get your top end back..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.