PowerHouse 4.0 to 5.4 3V Turbo project - Phase 1 Complete

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Meant to post this up over here as this as well. I got my car back from Mike @ Powerhouse this past weekend.

Background

Just to quickly summarize, I rented MIR last October for some end of season runs to beat my best of 10.97. Back then, I had a built up 4.0 with pistons, cams, heads, bearings, fasteners, etc with a 61mm turbo, and a 75 shot, all work done by Mike at PH.

During my track rental, I threw a rod through the block just like Lance did earlier in the season, running boost and the 75 shot on the 4.0. The aftermarket rods available for the 4.0 stretch over time, so they were not an option, and custom forged rods for it were in the 3k range. So, it was time to bid the 6er farewell and move on to something else.

New Build

So I got the car back this weekend. A totally different animal than the 4.0. In the fall/winter, I plan to address fuel pump, rods, pistons, drag shocks, may regear the car as well. Here's the high level details:
  • 5.4 3V Motor
  • PH Turbo for 5.4 3V
  • PH Custom intake w/intercooler
  • PH Custom water reservoir
  • CHE Sway bar delete / radiator support
  • CHE Motor mounts
  • 60lb injectors (already have a BAP)
  • Battery relocation kit
  • 4R70, 1000HP capable, Lentech Auto Tbrake Vbody, Billet Midshaft and Drum
  • Percision 3200 RPM Stall
  • Baumann Trans Controller
  • Custom aluminum drive shaft
  • AFCO Heat exchanger
I already have every suspension/brace part PH/CHE makes on the car, so it hooked pretty well at the track last season (1.5's and 1.6's).

Pictures

I'm still up in the air on powder coating the custom intake black, or polishing, though I'm leaning towards having it polished.

24734b74f38936.jpg

2480f38f4510aa.jpg

2483ab14300102.jpg

2483ab1429adf4.jpg

2483ab1661d46d.jpg

2483ab166bd246.jpg

I'm also very pleased that Mike kept the alternator in the stock location. Here are pics of the Afco unit, thought people would find it interesting how f'ing big this thing is:

2483ab0e0d1021.jpg

2483ab0e1280a8.jpg

2483ab1666da93.jpg

2483ab18419e79.jpg

2483ab1845d833.jpg

2483ab0e165ca4.jpg

2483ab119e1a9e.jpg

Pic's Lance's wife took this past weekend:

mustangswithtodd014.jpg

mustangswithtodd029.jpg

mustangswithtodd002.jpg

mustangtodd2005-1.jpg

Videos

Have two videos of the car (Lance and mine). The first was done for another site, and also includes a dyno video (I'm not a huge fan of dyno vids but have at it). It was done with my lame pocket camera...

http://www.mustangcollective.com/cpg...visit_0001.wmv (might want to do a right click, save as on this one to get it to run properly).

And here is the second one that Lance's wife did for us yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY0h4ffS6G4

Whats Next

Gonna get some baseline runs on it this wednesday. The car is much different than before, with it making usable power accross the entire powerband. The old car had mid to high range power, but down low, it was challenging to launch due to the heads and cams, and no stall for the 4.0 at that time. A 3500 rpm stall came out for the car the month I broke it, LOL. I'm adjusting to the new setup, especially down low where the car wants to break loose at will. I'm gettin the hang of it though. Of course like before, it will resume daily driver status.

So goals for whats left of the season is to baseline the car, focus on launches, RT, etc. Figure out the gearing, suspension tweaking, etc.
so. Mainly get it ready for next season, for index racing, maybe bracket racing though its not my thing.

I have some new 325 DR's for it, as last season I was running 255 MT's and spinning through the 60ft marker.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
congrats on the progress!

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate it. Hoping to dial it in Wednesday and the following weekend. Not sure what it will do.

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your car is progressing well, very sharp and clean install (once again) by PH.
Looking forward to seeing some ET's and I am sure you will be turning the wick up in no time.
The low end grunt is def. there right now and I will be curious to see how you deal with hooking it up, but that will be a challenge solved I am sure.
Glad your car is back in your hands, I know how tough it is to wait for so long. Looks like it was well worth it though!
Now go hit a dragstrip! :thumb:

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Its not like we did all this work to try to win car shows. :roflmao:

Lance already got a new best last week, and its hitting the track tomorrow. I'm hitting test and tune at Old Dominion (1/8) Wednesday night as well.

Injected S197

forum member
Reaction score
I like the air to water set up.
Once I build my motor I want to go with a turbo set up.

Rygen

I can break any motor!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brad.

@Al,

I noticed you have 60lb injectors, you also running a BAP? Plans to up the boost? Hitting the track any time soon?

Al Guapo

forum member
Reaction score
@Al,

I noticed you have 60lb injectors, you also running a BAP? Plans to up the boost? Hitting the track any time soon?

I do have a BAP. The 40 amp. Going to the track in October. Renting it out with about 18 heads. Should be fun.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So much for all that gushing I used to give you for the V6. Now you are in the big leagues. Very nice setup and I'm anxious to hear what she does. Congrats. :clap:

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
So much for all that gushing I used to give you for the V6. Now you are in the big leagues. :clap:
:wtf:..:stfu::tdown::321::thumb::roflmao:.. there is no little league big league. what world do you live in Just cause we own a stang with 2 less pistons make it no difference stangs a stang:moon:

**FIXED FOR YEAH GRAYPNY**

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back