Question about cams

Cmarris

Reaction score
I got a manual 05 gt with longtubes, off road xpipe, charge motion delete plates, udp's, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 gears, Intake and tune. I'm looking at getting the hot rod cams. My question is should I get a Ford performance follower and lash adjuster kit. I've heard that people have followers cracking in half after hot rod cams even though they dont really require them. Is it worth the money for peace of mind or not something to worry about? My car has just over 100k mikes

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
They aren't necessary at all with the stock RPM range. If you like the Hot Rods, consider the Comp "Mutha Thumpr" cams, they are like the Hot Rods but extra. My brother went with the Hot Rods and we were always a little disappointed that they didn't lope harder. I have the Comp cams and I couldn't be happier. A little more effort with the cam phaser mods required but totally worth it in my mind.

sman247

forum member
Reaction score
I had the same exact setup with the hot rod cams and although it's not need, while your tearing apart the heads they should be replaced. And I agree with rocket car. The hot rod cams made shit for power on my car. I now have the Detroit rocker cams which made more power, we're cheaper and have the same sound. I absolutely love them. I have heard nothing but good things about Mutha thumprs as well. Out of those three with lope idle, hot rod cams are dead last in power gains by far

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
if you don't mind the extra steps to replace them and it's in the budget it's a good idea but not necessary. To throw in my experience, i had the mutha thumprs and while i loved the sound and idle, tuning for them was a total pita, drive-ablity sucks at low speed/low rpm. killed low end torque but i did "feel" like it picked up top end power. there's extra cost and steps involved having to buy phaser limiters. If i were to do it again i'd go hot rods or rockers.

46addict

Reaction score
My car is sold now but it had the hotrods on a NA setup and also a 10psi Procharged setup. It dynoed at 340/325 without the blower and drove like stock with more noise and better throttle response. Have someone who know what he's doing (Lito) tune the car and you won't have these driveability issues. The power delivery will also feel more linear since the car will be tuned based on street driving and not just WOT on a dyno.

Those followers and lash adjusters are wear items so it won't hurt to replace them. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I suspect a good follower/lash adjuster should last 400,000 miles.

If you replace them, one of the new ones might last 40 miles before hopping out into the valve cover.

46addict

Reaction score
I think the key to making factory followers and lash adjusters last is keeping debris out of the oil and somehow preventing dry starts after oil changes. I used to crank the car with the fuel pump relay out to get the oil circulating after an oil change. Not sure if that did anything to help though.

Cmarris

Reaction score
The cars been very well kept and oil changed regularly. I'm mainly worried about snapping a follower in half

Cmarris

Reaction score
The job seems pretty easy, I hate messing with anything related to the timing. But I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I want going to go the route of removing the 6 followers. Just inch all the cam caps off evenly to back the pressure off with the timing wedge. If anybody has had bad luck doing that please let me know

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just did mine via the method of removing the cam caps, it's actually a really straightforward job. Make sure you get two new cam phaser bolts, that's the only other thing you need. I think I had mine completely done the first time in about 4 hours.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back