Question about Charge Motion valves

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
OK, I am new to the S197s and I have seen a lot of stuff the Charge Motion stuff. I have been looking at the deletes and reading about the gains and safety concerns that some have expressed. Everything I see though is for 05-08. What changed in the 09 and 10? Is it just no one has made a commercial part, or is there something else? Basically is there anything for my 10, or am I forced to buy a whole new intake to get rid of it.

TIA for any info.

nicky chaos

I haz a bucket.
Reaction score
Bummed that you bought a 2009 Mustang GT and found that you couldn’t use Steeda’s Charge Motion Plates? Well, we have the prescription for happiness! Steeda’s 2009 Charge Motion Delete Plugs eliminate the butterflies, giving your intake air a smooth shot into the head.

Machined from billet aluminum, these plugs are a great upgrade for your 2009 Mustang. As used on Steeda's Q350 Mustangs, Steeda's plugs reduce turbulence and improve airflow in the intake path for more horsepower and torque!

Steeda's charge motion delete plugs require computer recalibration for use which is available with Steeda's Xcalibrator2 or Steeda Predator tuners! Once tuned charge motion plates will not sacrifice any low end torque and provide midrange and upper rpm horsepower and torque increases. Peak increases of 10 horsepower or more have been seen on naturally aspirated applications, larger gains possible on supercharged engines. Install them now and maximize your power curve today!

Note: If nitrous injection ports are desired on a 2009 or 2010, a 2005-2008 manifold can be used on 2009-2010 engine with Steeda’s Charge Motion Plates.

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mustang-charge-motion-delete-plugs-for-ford-mustang.html

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I guess I was too sleepy last night when I was searching. I looked at their site and did not find it.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
You can pick up an 08 intake for pretty cheap and throw a set of plates on it. I for one don't like those little plugs they use for the 09s.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
I already spent my budget for the year, so I will have to pass for now. Not a bad price though. I am also already looking at the C&L intake that deletes them as well. Be kind of wasteful to buy one intake and then turn around and buy another. I am debating doing that next or Long Tubes and X pipe to finish off the exhaust.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
There are pictures in the link that nicky posted. I also saw someone who showed plugs that they put in the older style instead of changing it out.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
All i see is the plugs on the steeda page. Anyone have a picture of how they are installed?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I hear alot of people buy an 05-09 intake manifold instead of dealing with those crazy plugs for the 2010.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
It looks to me like there's a compromise removing the factory plates and they really should be there, is the gain of deleting worth it? Seems like top end gain would be minimal, and low end performance will really take a beating.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
I really haven't found anything that shows what they really help in anything other than emissions. What really got me thinking about it though is the posts I read with concerns about failures and parts falling into the cylinders. I think if I don't upgrade the manifold, I may buy a used stock an a delete plate. I think a solid plate is a bit better for the safety aspect than worrying about a plug falling out and into a cylinder.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
I think a solid plate is a bit better for the safety aspect than worrying about a plug falling out and into a cylinder.
Well, I don't know that this has ever happened, but if it has you have a valid point! I was reading this on another forum:
It's kind of hard to explain. Think of it this way. If you have a small diameter straw and are pulling air through it at a certain amount of pressure drop (vacuum), the velocity of the air will be far greater than the velocity of air being pulled through a much larger straw at the same amount of pressure drop (this is a constant determined by your engines displacement, cam timing, rpm etc). Higher velocity = better cylinder filling which = more power. The trick is match the intake size and design to the air flow requirements of a certain engine setup. The charge motion plate kind of tricks the engine into thinking it has a different flowing intake on it depending on the rpm. The down side is that it does become a restriction at top end rpms. Another way to think of it is if you have a water pump set at a constant pressure and then force the water through a 1" hose, it will spray far further (higher velocity) than if you were using the same pump pressure to spray the same water through a 6" hose.
Reading this it sounds much more like a low end performance issue, not emissions.

Last edited:

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know that it has happened either, but just a kind of what if scenario. I am kind of curious on how the velocity factors in because even though you are right on the hose scenario, that is not exactly the same. You have a sealed container not open air that you are shooting it into and it is being sucked for a finite amount of time. The more it is open the more volume you can pull in during that time (to a max volume of course). Any restriction can decrease the volume thereby decreasing the compression. Obviously the velocity will increase, but I don't understand how the velocity coming in has an impact on the volume which once the valves close is then compressed by the piston.

If I am missing something here, I welcome education. I had a 03 Mustang before this one but no mods other than CAI, exhaust, and tune. All of my performance experience is on engines with Carburetors. I welcome any education on modern performance especially since I have made the decision to really get into it.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know that it has happened either, but just a kind of what if scenario. I am kind of curious on how the velocity factors in because even though you are right on the hose scenario, that is not exactly the same. You have a sealed container not open air that you are shooting it into and it is being sucked for a finite amount of time. The more it is open the more volume you can pull in during that time (to a max volume of course). Any restriction can decrease the volume thereby decreasing the compression. Obviously the velocity will increase, but I don't understand how the velocity coming in has an impact on the volume which once the valves close is then compressed by the piston.

If I am missing something here, I welcome education. I had a 03 Mustang before this one but no mods other than CAI, exhaust, and tune. All of my performance experience is on engines with Carburetors. I welcome any education on modern performance especially since I have made the decision to really get into it.
I don't claim to be any pro either and I'm questioning the pros and cons between having the butterfly valves or not. That velocity thing got me thinking about the old SHO taurus, it had long and short intake runners for a reason. It seems those valves accomplish the same thing without having to run two separate runners.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I have a 2009 and decided to purchase a 2008 intake manifold with Steeda delete plates vs. using the plugs in my '09 manifold.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
I don't claim to be any pro either and I'm questioning the pros and cons between having the butterfly valves or not. That velocity thing got me thinking about the old SHO taurus, it had long and short intake runners for a reason. It seems those valves accomplish the same thing without having to run two separate runners.
I never really looked at the Multiport injections as to the workings. That does make sense that it would/could create the same effect.

Question for those who know, I noticed on this car that about 4K RPMs the car seems to have a sudden boost of power. Is this the valves opening? I am used to cars that the power will increase as RPMs increase, but this is a sudden change and the exhaust note changes as well. It feels and sounds like a different car. Even the 03 was a smooth transition as the power increased. With the deletes does it perform more like the older cars as far as power acceleration?

nicky chaos

I haz a bucket.
Reaction score
I already spent my budget for the year, so I will have to pass for now. Not a bad price though. I am also already looking at the C&L intake that deletes them as well. Be kind of wasteful to buy one intake and then turn around and buy another. I am debating doing that next or Long Tubes and X pipe to finish off the exhaust.

I would just hold out until you have the cash for the manifold. I was going to pick up a set of deletes, but decided on going with the FRPP manifold.

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
With a good tune you might see 5hp up top and a very minimal, if any, power loss in the lower RPMs. The delete plates are used for the fact that it gives you piece of mind. Those valves are going to break sooner or later so get rid of them as soon as you can.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
For those buying the C&L intake - post up your before and after dyno graphs. Very interested in seeing the gains on a naturally aspirated setup.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back