reliability of your 4.6 s197

shiznight

forum member
Reaction score
Whoops, sorry for posting in tech guys, was a bit more then a tad drunk last night. 11hr shift will do that to ya the night you start your vacation.

Here's a tech question for you though. Did you have to put your battery on a charger while installing your tuner? Had a nightmare last week dealing with mine crashing my pcm.

Jeremy, I thought these stock blocks had issues over 500hp, am I wrong? Time for me to tap that search button.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the blocks are fine.... it's the rods you have to worry about....

shiznight

forum member
Reaction score
Ah good to know. I'm just going to save through the winter and see what I can find fi wise on the classifieds. The big HP guys on here got my confidence up about adding a power adder

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
My bad forgot to mention the battery drain issue. Mines been nuked a couple times because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
zero problems with the drivetrain. its pretty much a bulletproof engine as long its not boosted.

Bolt On currently with cams going in very soon :)

08GTCA

forum member
Reaction score
2008, Bought it new in 2009. Have 48000 miles with CAI and tune, otherwise stock with MT. Daily driver, with no issues at all. It's never done anything but start and go wether it is a commute or a 600 mile trip. I do not race it or beat on it but i do enjoy it in the canyons.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Going on 5 years of ownership; purchased new Dec. 2007. Sitting at 57k miles and the only thing I've had happen in that time period is the alternator went out back in March.

I've also changed the front rotors and pads, as well as new ball joints. Front driver side strut recently started leaking fluid so I replaced the dampeners with Koni's. Other than that just routine maintenance. It's been down the track 100+ times without issue, even with nitrous on the car at one point.

Now that I say all this something will probably happen. Doesn't it always work that way? haha

Blue Meanie

forum member
Reaction score
Bought new in October 2007. Now has over 100k (I don't look anymore). No problems at all. Only wear items had to be replaced. Any other parts replaced were upgrades.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Bought my '07 GT/CS in January 2008 with 8K on it. Just turned 85K, nothing but battery and brake pads replaced. Turned the front rotors twice, will replace those next time.
It is a DD, and I don't baby it at all. I don't know if I have ever driven it without going WOT multiple times.
I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country right now

shiznight

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I'm talking about. I have no buyers remorse at all. Just ready to be faster. I love the head turns I get and its good to get the thumbs up and stares from girls here and there. Happened today on the way to get lunch. BTW its this

Cannot ill have to upload a pic when I get home. App isn't letting me upload atm

Turbostangs90

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine in april of 2011, everything except the engine had 53k miles at the time. Motor came out of a 06 with 20k miles on it. Previous owner had a huge boost addiction, so you get the idea. No issues really what so ever with the car, its my daily driver to work which is just about 10 minutes across town. Will have the turbo kit on her hopefully within the next month.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
bought mine new in 2008 just crossed the 100k mark yesterday no issues except had to replace the alternator at like 90k. been down the 1/4 countless times runs low 12s still rocking the factory clutch so far with no issues mods in sig

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I bought my 07 new and the only issue I ever had was with second gear grinding since they day I bought it. I had the trans replaced under warranty at about 40k miles. It's been a good car over all though.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Got the car in December 2009. Has a little over 22K now.

Only had problems with random rattles in the A pillar which is now solved from the TSB.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
i bought my 06 with 32K owned it 11 months. Sold it and it had 60K on the clock. I moved from Chicago to TX and TX to Phoenix and Phoenix back to Texas. I put some mileage on it. Turbocharged it with a powerhouse 76mm. Still had no problems for about 15k of those miles. The new owner is enjoying it as much as me and the previous owner. The owner before autoX and road raced the car all the time. I quarter the car with a turbo and drove it hard on the street.

The only thing i had to fix on that car was the alternator went bad at around 45K. Besides that it was great. I have always had good reliability out of mustangs hence why i have owned a fleet of them.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I got my 2007 GT/CS used in 2008 with 17K on the clock, it now has 74K, and has given me nothing but pleasure to own. No mechanical trouble whatsoever. The only issue it has ever had is a leaking convertible top that I am dealing with right now. Albeit, the only performance mods are suspension stuff and axle backs. I DD it to work every day, about 55 miles round trip, and do some autocrossing as well. I freaking love my car, and God willing, I plan on driving it for several years to come. No trading in my baby on a fancy new 5.0, no sir! :beerdrink:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
This thread is good to read, because I plan on driving my car into the ground.

S197_smokn

forum member
Reaction score
When she's good, she's good. When she's bad, she's very bad.

One of those things where everything is going great, I do something like getting my fuel injectors cleaned and flowed and there's nothing but problems afterward...

This is very true they can be like a damn rattlesnake

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back