Replacing GT500 AB

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I have single tip GT500 mufflers on this 2014 5.0 car. Stock headers, lethal off-road H, lethal OAP with resonators welded in.

I'd like to replace the mufflers I have now with something:
1. Little to no rasp
2. 4" or larger rolled tips
3. Can be louder, not quieter

Does such a thing exist in the $300-600 range? Not gonna drop $800+ on a set of mufflers so borla and corsa are out.

travelers

Reaction score
A friend of mine has the Corsa Xtreme on his '12 GT and they have no drone and sound really good. I rode in the back seat and nothing noted.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Corsa's are nice I just can't justify dropping 800 on a couple mufflers.

Most of the chambered mufflers I've looked at in the last couple days are stupid expensive. Other than straight through designs it seems like there is very little out there in the sub 600 range.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Other than for Corsa and Borla, your choices are pretty much limited. Have you considered either Ford Performance, MBRP or Roush? IIRC the Ford Racing mufflers for the 2011-current Mustang/Shelby GT500 models are manufactured by Borla which claim to have zero drone. The Roush exhaust systems for all 2011-current models also claim to produce zero drone, due to their open chamber design construction. MBRP exhaust systems have also been well known for producing minimal drone as well and are backed by a lifetime warranty. Anyhow, just saying :shrug:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I've got an offroad pipe so the Roush is a problem due to the rasp. I've seen the FRPP Sport is still available if you look hard for it but the cost is close enough may as well just get the Borla or Corsa at that point. Same thing for the Kooks axle back. I'm not sure about the MBRP, have never heard one. You know how it is with youtube videos.

I like the sound of GT500 axle backs since it is pretty deep and very little rasp even with this offroad pipe. But the tips aren't that great and I'd like something louder without breaking the piggy bank. May be a tough nut to crack without playing the axle-back carousel especially if I am trying to avoid spending a mint on Borla.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're concerned with rasp by running an O/R mid-pipe? I would suggest going with Borla Touring mufflers if they're within your price range? or FRPP sport. Otherwise, you may have no other option but to have the tips cut off from your GT500 mufflers and then add some aftermarket tips to them. If that isn't something your willing to do, then you may want to consider looking into adding some high-flow cats or in the worst case scenario, reinstall your factory catted mid-pipe. However, I would definitely not recommend Corsas with an O/R application, if concerned about rasp:shrug:

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sounds like increasing the volume is not practical with rasp a consideration then if I keep the o/r pipe and wanting to keep costs down to 600 or less. To answer the original OP then, the answer is no.

Finding a set off 4-4.5" rolled tips and just having them welded on the existing exhaust may be worth considering and would keep costs down though it would be a cosmetic upgrade only. Thanks.

I have had borla s-type on this car before and was disappointed. Not loud enough and still seemed like there was rasp to me. The atak would likely be even worse. So another option for the Touring or Sport might be to see if I can pick up a used pair at some point or another.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like increasing the volume is not practical with rasp a consideration then if I keep the o/r pipe and wanting to keep costs down to 600 or less. To answer the original OP then, the answer is no.

Finding a set off 4-4.5" rolled tips and just having them welded on the existing exhaust may be worth considering and would keep costs down though it would be a cosmetic upgrade only. Thanks.

I have had borla s-type on this car before and was disappointed. Not loud enough and still seemed like there was rasp to me. The atak would likely be even worse. So another option for the Touring or Sport might be to see if I can pick up a used pair at some point or another.
When I ran the Mac O/R ProChamber with my Borla S-types, I never noticed any rasp at all. In fact, the ProChamber actually smoothes out the sound of the exhaust. So you might possibly want to consider the O/R ProChamber as an alternative, or as I mentioned previously, look into high-flow cats as a possible solution. Otherwise, as you said, consider finding a set of 4-4.5" rolled tips and have them welded on your existing GT500 mufflers as a cosmetic upgrade or look into finding a used set of Borla Touring or FRPP Sport mufflers :shrug:

Tommy Y

Reaction score
Check out SVE axle backs from LMR. I saw a video of their quad tip version on youtube, with and without o/r x pipe and they sound good and didn't seem raspy either way. 4 inch tips and the price is right as well. I've thought about replacing my Roush ab with these because I don't care for the rasp at certain rpm.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The frpp sport looks like more of a straight through design?

I do see there is a frpp touring. Guessing that is identical to the borla touring.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The entire Borla exhaust line is straight through/perforated core design, including the Borla/FRPP Touring and Sport exhaust. In fact, Borla has never designed a chambered type muffler.

travelers

Reaction score
I have the FRPP GT500 mufflers with ARH and ORH and yes the tips are't the best looking but they will get louder with time. If you buy tips and have them welded on add that price into the total cost.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I found a sale at LMP. After a week of contemplation, gnashing of teeth, etc. in the end I caved. I'm getting the Borla Touring 11836BC with the black chrome tips.

It won't be as loud as I want but at this point I don't think I'd ever be happy with a truly loud exhaust on this car due to tonal quality issues with almost all the offroad configs.

The GT500 mufflers I have will be cleaned up and sold locally for whatever I can get for them to help offset the cost a little.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
For all you're O/R configs, IMHO you made a very good choice by going with the Borla Touring mufflers in which I really don't think you'll be disappointed with at all.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
This sucks. LMP shipped from PA. So not only will this not make it here for the weekend it has to go all that way without damage. I wouldn't have put that order in if I knew this.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's weird, I just checked google and their main facility is located in Destin, FL 32540
Tel: (850) 654-4730

For some reason, they also appear to have a warehouse in PA if that's where your order shipped from? Hopefully, your order will arrive safely with no damages, but if in the event it does? I would hope that LMP will provide you with a return authorization for an exchange :shrug:

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It's a bummer. Nothing I can do about it now. At least I got the "best" price possible. Was looking forward to installing them Saturday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back