Replacing radio. Do i need the Audio CAN plug?

AboStangster

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum.
I have a 2005 GT Covertible, no mods. A fresh canvas.
I am swapping the radio for an after market touch screen with hands free, BT, and NAV. I have a connection kit, but there is no plug for the MS-CAN plug. Is it required or do I just ignore it? I've already read about the 12v to 5v converter requirement.
Thanks all.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
430703F1-AE63-441B-9E40-9AEBA41386D6.jpeg DA1A1FB7-C542-4D18-AD4B-B308ACD2D510.jpeg 4A97C6E0-0456-4C31-AADE-D4714F29CD62.jpeg
Hi, new to the forum.
I have a 2005 GT Covertible, no mods. A fresh canvas.
I am swapping the radio for an after market touch screen with hands free, BT, and NAV. I have a connection kit, but there is no plug for the MS-CAN plug. Is it required or do I just ignore it? I've already read about the 12v to 5v converter requirement.
Thanks all.
Hi,
I have been dealing with this since February myself.
I have a Kenwood DNR476s nav unit. I tried a Maestro interface, however it does not support 2005-2006 Mustangs. Wasted $180. Then I talked to Kenwood and Maestro. Kenwood only supports Maestro for idatalink connections. Even Crutchfield said they could not help with a 2006 Mustang.
However I purchased a PAC C2R-FRD1 interface. I call PAC and were very helpful. I installed it last weekend.
The PAC unit has an MSCAN connection keeping factory features. No need to connect to the park brake or backup lights as well as 10 minute delay shut off of radio. It even takes care of front door amp voltage .
I bought my PAC interface on ebay $60
Without the MSCAN connection, a radio replacement will still work, but this interface makes it plug & play
Hope this helps
KenK

flyingmanx

Reaction score
12693005-BA9B-4D78-9F5B-5B2D69BA13C0.png
Great,
with the PAC unit you will not need a converter, as the PAC provides the correct voltage. No need for em brake or backup to car. Those wires from the PAC go to the radio instead.
Any questions , just ask.
KenK

GlassTop09

Reaction score
View attachment 74476 View attachment 74477 View attachment 74478
Hi,
I have been dealing with this since February myself.
I have a Kenwood DNR476s nav unit. I tried a Maestro interface, however it does not support 2005-2006 Mustangs. Wasted $180. Then I talked to Kenwood and Maestro. Kenwood only supports Maestro for idatalink connections. Even Crutchfield said they could not help with a 2006 Mustang.
However I purchased a PAC C2R-FRD1 interface. I call PAC and were very helpful. I installed it last weekend.
The PAC unit has an MSCAN connection keeping factory features. No need to connect to the park brake or backup lights as well as 10 minute delay shut off of radio. It even takes care of front door amp voltage .
I bought my PAC interface on ebay $60
Without the MSCAN connection, a radio replacement will still work, but this interface makes it plug & play
Hope this helps
KenK
Would this interface allow the usage of the OEM Ford Sirius signal converter w\ aftermarket radio units that will support Sirius & will be a simple plug in to the OEM Sirius harness?

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Would this interface allow the usage of the OEM Ford Sirius signal converter w\ aftermarket radio units that will support Sirius & will be a simple plug in to the OEM Sirius harness?

Hi,
The PAC has nothing to do with the SXM tuner.
You should check with your new radio instructions.
What radio are you planning on using? I can research it.
I did not realise sxm was an option in 2005.
Ken K

flyingmanx

Reaction score
B55D7AF2-9275-4FA5-9AD6-FD3A98BAF146.jpeg 8E34010B-55B0-4CDD-94D8-6C776C53BB80.jpeg 686DC716-32C0-41D5-BCAD-95E77D030A16.png
Hi, Be very careful with the PAC park brake wires & reverse wires.
The PAC colors do not match up to Mustang colours, I just did another one tonight.
Even if you do not do a backup camera, hook them up .

Ken K

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Hi,
The PAC has nothing to do with the SXM tuner.
You should check with your new radio instructions.
What radio are you planning on using? I can research it.
I did not realise sxm was an option in 2005.
Ken K
Sorry, mine is a '09 Glass Roof that did come OEM w\ Sirius XM........shoulda typed that.

I checked on this later after posting & found that this particular interface doesn't. A PAC MS-FRD1 interface (which is now discontinued) would work w\ my factory external Sirius XM tuner.

I appreciate the response, though!

I had a full Kenwood system installed (DNS995S head unit w\ Kenwood 4-channel amp & Kenwood speakers to match the head unit\amp but would fit\look like OEM & all connect thru the existing OEM wiring\connectors) & installer at the time of install couldn't find an interface to allow this DNS995S head unit (new to market then) to connect to the OEM external Sirius XM tuner w\o cutting the OEM harness connector out & physically wiring it in, which I didn't want to do so I had them install a separate external Sirius XM tuner w\ antennae to finish the install, but I've always wanted to reconnect to the OEM Sirius XM unit thus my question.

Since my head unit already supports Sirius XM, I think all I would need to find is an adapter cable that would connect to the OEM connector, correct?

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Sorry, mine is a '09 Glass Roof that did come OEM w\ Sirius XM........shoulda typed that.

I checked on this later after posting & found that this particular interface doesn't. A PAC MS-FRD1 interface (which is now discontinued) would work w\ my factory external Sirius XM tuner.

I appreciate the response, though!

I had a full Kenwood system installed (DNS995S head unit w\ Kenwood 4-channel amp & Kenwood speakers to match the head unit\amp but would fit\look like OEM & all connect thru the existing OEM wiring\connectors) & installer at the time of install couldn't find an interface to allow this DNS995S head unit (new to market then) to connect to the OEM external Sirius XM tuner w\o cutting the OEM harness connector out & physically wiring it in, which I didn't want to do so I had them install a separate external Sirius XM tuner w\ antennae to finish the install, but I've always wanted to reconnect to the OEM Sirius XM unit thus my question.

Since my head unit already supports Sirius XM, I think all I would need to find is an adapter cable that would connect to the OEM connector, correct?
Hi
I did not realise I was commenting on an 09 when I responded. Our 2005-2006 are left hanging in a lot of respect. 2007 & up stuff seems to be covered.
You might check with Maestro web site for your model year
KenK

AboStangster

Reaction score
Update on my 05 head unit upgrade. I used the PAC C2R-FRD1 and it all works perfectly, even the factory amps. The speakers and amps sound even better than the Shaker did.
Thanks for the help.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
Update on my 05 head unit upgrade. I used the PAC C2R-FRD1 and it all works perfectly, even the factory amps. The speakers and amps sound even better than the Shaker did.
Thanks for the help.

Well that is great.
You are the first one that agrees with me about using the MSCAN bus.
Makes the install much easier. Took me a while to figure it out, especially after Crutchfield said it cannot be done. Yet they even sell the PAC unit. What radio did you use?
KenK

AboStangster

Reaction score
You are so correct Ken. It also seems to have fixed my power parasite problem.

I installed a Android 9.1 9 Inch HD Quad-Core 2 Din Car Stereo Radio Multimedia Player, DVD, GPS Navigation in Dash AutoRadio Bluetooth/USB/WiFi (2G RAM+32G ROM) with Sub that i pulled out of my Jeep that I loved. I now sounds awesome. Thanks so much.

flyingmanx

Reaction score
You are so correct Ken. It also seems to have fixed my power parasite problem.

I installed a Android 9.1 9 Inch HD Quad-Core 2 Din Car Stereo Radio Multimedia Player, DVD, GPS Navigation in Dash AutoRadio Bluetooth/USB/WiFi (2G RAM+32G ROM) with Sub that i pulled out of my Jeep that I loved. I now sounds awesome. Thanks so much.

Oh yes, I also had a parasitic battery draw as well. Gone now.
KenK

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back