Sixer Stang

Reaction score
I know a couple of people have successfully swapped the 3.5 Ecoboost into the S197 chassis, but has anybody done a 2.3 Ecoboost swap? I imagine since Ford sells the control pack it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get the car running. Does the control pack run everything on it's own, and does it bypass PATS? I think it would be cool for a car that is trying to lose some weight off the front end. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The 3.5 is 365Hp Easy, why not use what's been done? The 2.3L is the second
generation of the Ecoboost I4 engine family.

For the 2.3L, it's $1800 for just the control pack, plus the cost of the
engine ($6k for a new one), most people will go with the 5.0
Coyote swap instead.
http://spartaperformance.com/2-3l-ecoboost-engine-control-pack/

It was a little easier with the 3.5L:
The oil pan on an F150 3.5L Ecoboost is the same part as the 2011-2014 3.7L Mustang.
So, there were no modifications needed for it.

The 2011-2014 Mustang's MT-82 6-speed manual as used behind the 3.7L V6 will bolt
right up to the F150's 3.5L Ecoboost engine.

The motor mounting bosses on the 3.5L Ecoboost block are identical to those on a RWD
3.7L V6 block.

The 3.5 has 6-bolt main bearings, oil cooling jets for the pistons, a forged crankshaft, forged (powdered
metal) rods and makes 365HP and 420 ft-lbs of torque and 90% of peak torque from 1700rpm through
5500rpm, on 87 octane fuel.

It could run in the 11s and get 30mpg highway in the S197s.

You need a custom air-to-air intercooler, an oil cooler, a larger radiator, modified drive shaft, etc,
even with the 2.3L, as you would with the 3.5L.

PATS is a separate module connected to the ECU, but they're paired by VIN.
The control pack may not even include PATS, it should say if it does or not.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is also as big as the 3.7, and kind of looks similar:

However:
The bell-housing pattern on the 3.5L for rear wheel drive Ecoboost is unlike
anything else Ford has ever sold, totally unique to this engine. The 2.3 was
introduced in 2015, with a more universal pattern for cross platform use. So,
you only have two models of transmission options with the 3.5. There were
only 400,000 F150s made with the 3.5L EcoBoost, but you can find them.

I think I wold go with the 3.5L personally. You can make anything fit with
money...

Sixer Stang

Reaction score

Coyote swap instead.

The oil pan on an F150 3.5L Ecoboost is the same part as the 2011-2014 3.7L Mustang.

The 2011-2014 Mustang's MT-82 6-speed manual as used behind the 3.7L V6 will bolt

The motor mounting bosses on the 3.5L Ecoboost block are identical to those on a RWD
3.7L V6 block.

The 3.5 has 6-bolt main bearings, oil cooling jets for the pistons, a forged crankshaft, forged (powdered
metal) rods and makes 365HP and 420 ft-lbs of torque and 90% of peak torque from 1700rpm through

You need a custom air-to-air intercooler, an oil cooler, a larger radiator, modified drive shaft, etc,

However:

money...

Some very interesting points, but the 2.3 Ecoboost would be lighter and does not have a huge difference in power compared to the 3.5. I think both engines would be great in an S197, and would certainly be more interesting than the coyote swap.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Unless your referencing a different 2.3 ecoboost
The one in my 2018 mustang is 310 hp and 350 ft-lb
That’s a fair bit less then the 3.5.
The mustang block also is weaker then the 2.0 in the focus and are ticking time bombs even stock

The 2.7 out of the f150 may be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sixer Stang

Reaction score
Unless your referencing a different 2.3 ecoboost
The one in my 2018 mustang is 310 hp and 350 ft-lb
That’s a fair bit less then the 3.5.
The mustang block also is weaker then the 2.0 in the focus and are ticking time bombs even stock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 2.7 seems like it would be great but does it have a bolt pattern to be mated to an MT82 such as the 3.5? And could it be run off the 3.5 control pack? Is the 2.7 essentially the same block as the 3.5?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The 2.3 Ecoboost block has known weak spots, and many engines have suffered head gasket failures either from being fitted with the wrong head gaskets from the factory, or from running too much boost. These engines were dubbed Ecocrap or Ecoboom for a reason. The engines from 2018+ may have had those problems fixed quietly by Ford in order to avoid a recall of earlier models.
The engine in the Mustang runs 14.5psi of boost for 310hp, while the Focus RS runs 19psi of boost for 350hp. A 2.3 Ecoboost swap wouldn't be worth the time of day if you didn't want at least 400hp and for that, you'd need to run about 24psi of boost. Wanna bet how long the engine would survive with that?

Last edited:

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
The 1st gen (2015) version of the 2.7 is a V6, twin turbo, little smaller, may work as a
better fit, 335 HP. Will need one from the '15-'17 F150, the others are front wheel drives.
Have not seen a control pack for them. The 2.7L 2nd gen is 325HP, stock configuration.

The 2nd gen 3.5L was released in 2018, still 325HP.

The 3.5L HO Ecoboost is 450HP, but only in the 2019 Raptor.

The 2nd gen 3.5L is 647HP in the Ford GT.

The 2.3L is 385HP in the '16-'17 VUHL 05, and 350HP in the '16-'18 Focus RS.

I think the reason for the 2.3L is the availability of the control pack. Also, the 2.3L
EcoBoost is currently 1st generation, debuted in 2015, with the 2.0L twin scroll version,
and they're made at the same plant; using the Mazda L motor (block). 3.5 is Ford Cyclone.
2.7 is Nano.

Meteorb64

Reaction score

Coyote swap instead.

3.7L V6 block.

However:

money...

At the risk of hijacking this thread (sorry Sixer Stang), @08MustangDude do you know of anyone who's done the 3.5 swap to an automatic mustang? All I can find is manual swaps, and I'm trying to find out exactly how much it would take to do the swap in my 2012 V6 auto...

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I don't know anyone personally, just what I have seen on-line, and
they were all standards. It's easier for a manual, don't need any
transmission control stuff. But you would need a 6R80 automatic
transmission, no other one will bolt up.

Here is another 3.5 Swap with manual, 435 HP.

As I said, the motor mounting bosses on the F150 3.5L Ecoboost block are identical
to those on a RWD 3.7L V6 block, so you should only need the K-member from an
S197 that had a 3.7 in it unless they're the same. I don't know for sure...

The 2nd gen 3.5 is a better motor, considering the 2.3L is 1st gen right now, and
has its issues.

Sixer Stang

Reaction score
At the risk of hijacking this thread (sorry Sixer Stang), @08MustangDude do you know of anyone who's done the 3.5 swap to an automatic mustang? All I can find is manual swaps, and I'm trying to find out exactly how much it would take to do the swap in my 2012 V6 auto...

Someone did the auto swap in an old F100 pickup I believe. I think if I remember correctly he just transplanted everything from the donor truck into his truck. So try googling F100 ecoboost project as a reference?

Sixer Stang

Reaction score

Why not just twin turbo the 3.7 you already have with the auto? I would think that would be the easier route to take, but just a thought.

Meteorb64

Reaction score
I don't know anyone personally, just what I have seen on-line, and
they were all standards. It's easier for a manual, don't need any
transmission control stuff. But you would need a 6R80 automatic
transmission, no other one will bolt up.

Here is another 3.5 Swap with manual, 435 HP.

As I said, the motor mounting bosses on the F150 3.5L Ecoboost block are identical
to those on a RWD 3.7L V6 block, so you should only need the K-member from an
S197 that had a 3.7 in it unless they're the same. I don't know for sure...

The 2nd gen 3.5 is a better motor, considering the 2.3L is 1st gen right now, and
has its issues.

Yeah, I've got a stock 3.7 V6 automatic Mustang I'm looking to do the swap to, which I'm 99% certain has the 6R80 in it, and should bolt right up...trying to gather a list of just how much else I'll need to get that functioning, which is why when you started talking about "custom air-to-air intercooler, an oil cooler, a larger radiator," and such I started to hijack the thread :S

I haven't watched those videos yet because I wasn't sure how much would apply to my automatic situation, but i guess I'll never know without watching them all :p

Someone did the auto swap in an old F100 pickup I believe. I think if I remember correctly he just transplanted everything from the donor truck into his truck. So try googling F100 ecoboost project as a reference?

I'll take a look at that, thanks.

Why not just twin turbo the 3.7 you already have with the auto? I would think that would be the easier route to take, but just a thought.

Because while twin turboing the 3.7 would be okay, it's just not as good of an engine as the 3.5 - and engine swaps are way cooler than bolt-ons :p (I may still go the bolt-on route, I've just never done a swap before and why not destroy a perfectly good v6 mustang for fun? :facepalm:)

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since an inline engine never came in this chassis, expect to have to fabricate every hose and bracket and also come up with something for motor mounts. It might not be that bad but since the 3.7 makes similar power and with the 2.3 ecoboost being a bit brittle, why bother?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sell the V6 car and buy a GT. Problem solved. Less hassle. Less work. More potential. Less money spent.

Sixer Stang

Reaction score
Since an inline engine never came in this chassis, expect to have to fabricate every hose and bracket and also come up with something for motor mounts. It might not be that bad but since the 3.7 makes similar power and with the 2.3 ecoboost being a bit brittle, why bother?

I have the 4.0 v6 so the 2.3 ecoboost would be a huge upgrade plus I love turbo 4 cylinders and it's the opposite direction of what most Mustang owners would do with their cars so I like the uniqueness of it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Sell the V6 car and buy a GT. Problem solved. Less hassle. Less work. More potential. Less money spent.

Totally agree. However if the OP is intent on hanging onto his car no matter what, I think it boils down to three choices:

1. Keep 3.7 N/A with bolt ons.
2. 3.5 V6 Ecoboost engine swap.
3. 5.2 Voodoo or 5.2 Aluminator swap (if you really want a V8 and something unique).

The 2.3 Ecoboost doesn't have enough displacement, and isn't reliable enough to handle 400+hp and last 100k miles.
A Coyote 5.0 swap would be a waste of money when you can buy the same bodystyle with that engine as standard.

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Not in the USA, but in Australia, they get the BARRA 4.0 I6 in their S197 platform car.

The 3.7 makes 305 the 3.2 EcoBoost is 310 HP. So, swapping to the 3.5 EcoBoost is more logical.
I would never go from the 3.7 to the 2.3EB unless I planned on going for big boost numbers.

If you're going to swap a 2.3L from a 3.7L and do nothing with the 2.3, DUDE, just tune the 3.7L, and
you'll be happy. $200-$400 for a tuner, -vs- $6000+ for the swap? Some mods, and other things
will make that 3.7L a bear, and will cost much less than a 2.3L swap. Even if you supercharged
it, still less than doing a full on motor swap. Just saying, I would put the money into the Cyclone
engine, not the Nano.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Totally agree. However if the OP is intent on hanging onto his car no matter what, I think it boils down to three choices:

1. Keep 3.7 N/A with bolt ons.
2. 3.5 V6 Ecoboost engine swap.
3. 5.2 Voodoo or 5.2 Aluminator swap (if you really want a V8 and something unique).

The 2.3 Ecoboost doesn't have enough displacement, and isn't reliable enough to handle 400+hp and last 100k miles.
A Coyote 5.0 swap would be a waste of money when you can buy the same bodystyle with that engine as standard.
He said in post #15 he has the 4.0

Sixer Stang

Reaction score
He said in post #15 he has the 4.0

Yep and the 4.0 is a boat anchor. Plus the 2.3 is smaller displacement and has a flat plane crank instead of a cross plane crank like the v type engines. So the 2.3 is alot more rev happy which I personally like. Also I don't have much of a need to exceed 400 horsepower with the engine. I did some research and found that the headgaskets are unique to the car i.e. the Focus RS headgasket is allegedly different than the Mustang Ecoboost headgasket so the problems that plagued the Focus are supposedly a non-issue on the mustang variant.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford should get serious about the next generation 2.3 and build it in the same vain as the recently announced Mercedes 2.0 that makes 417 hp and delivers a naturally aspirated V8 like power delivery.

And they should figure out how to make it sound better.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back