S197 V8 Engine temp gauge normal position

Laurence Dunn

Reaction score
looks normal.

also are there any UK spec parts different from US?

Back in my honda days that was all the craze, JDM and UKDM rare parts

No difference as I imported my car from USA, the only changes I had make were the lights, we have orange flashers in Europe, plus we have to have a rear fog light

Jwood562

Reaction score
No difference as I imported my car from USA, the only changes I had make were the lights, we have orange flashers in Europe, plus we have to have a rear fog light

so how did you make orange turn signals in the rear?

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome, this is a great site for answers. You asked the question that I often have wondered about with the gage. I have a 2008 Mustang Convertible, GT/CS. The gage comes up and never goes beyond the middle, so far.

At 75,000 miles I had the 100,000 mile checkup done, new, plugs, coolant replaced, etc. No change in the gage position.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The cooling systems on these cars are that good at keeping a steady temp. Reducing emissions is the result.

Ps: on the coyote, there is no physical coolant temp sensor. Coolant temp is inferred from CHT temp.
I dont know if the 4.6 is the same.
I dont know where Toque is getting coolant temps from. Going by Torque, my fan should not be on low @190F. I have it set for 200F. But its on at 190. Guess I need to bump desired up till the fan comes on at the correct temp.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Ps: on the coyote, there is no physical coolant temp sensor. Coolant temp is inferred from CHT temp.
I don't know if the 4.6 is the same.

It IS. The 4.6 3V has a cylinder head temperature sensor on the passenger side in the valley of the engine.

GriffX

Reaction score
Some guy from car industry told me, that real gauges confuses people. They don't understand that when the oil is cold, the pressure is higher. Or, the idle rpm value is not the real value anymore, they have a smoothing function on top because modern engines do not have a steady idle rpm anymore. Or this fake boost gauges without neg. values

N2STC

Reaction score
Greetings all from the UK. I have a nice 2007 Redfire GT/CS. I'm new to the S197. Where does the temperature needle sit on these cars in normal running mode. Todays temp here was 10c or around 52F. My gauge sits at 45% from cold, is this normal? Or hot?

Mustang-GT-California-Special-4-scaled.jpg
Thanks for this. I was wondering the same thing coming out of storage from winter. I didn't remember where it sat last year. It's surprising how consistent the readings are from one car to another. Surprised to hear about the oil pressure gauge!

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
You can plug the SCT X4 into the OBDll port and observe the engine coolant temperature. I have logged it several times along with other operating conditions.

brasil

Reaction score
The oil pressure gauge on Mustangs has basically been an off/on switch since at least 1979.

...sorry , but I think that you are wrong. I´ ve had 3 Foxbody 5.0 in the early 90th...and all off them had oil pressure gauges that showed the pressure in "reality".... the hotter the oil was...the lower the pressure was at idle ...for example.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back