swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
So I went to the track again today and made a little progress toward my goals of an 8.x quarter mile and 5.x eighth mile..

MhKiwHbl.jpg

Gettin' there!
Having some issues with the car twisting really bad at launch, time to get an anti-sway bar to fix that, which should get my 60' times down into the 1.3x range and then 8.x quarter mile. That's my plan anyway lol. Also having some weird fuel system issues where it's acting like one of the pumps is cutting in and out, I need to figure out WTF is going on with that, but all in all a good day.

travelers

Reaction score
Congrats on your times. Your not far off your goal. With all your mods I would have thought you would have already had a anti-sway bar in the car. It does make a difference.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Congrats on your times. Your not far off your goal. With all your mods I would have thought you would have already had a anti-sway bar in the car. It does make a difference.

Thank you sir, no anti roll bar here yet, I didn't think I needed one with the cage in my car since the chassis is so rigid that I can jack up one front corner and both will lift off the ground. I had some friends watching my passes yesterday and they mentioned how badly the chassis is twisting to the right on launch, and even as the car goes down the track. They said they could see me counter steering inside the car even though it goes perfectly straight, heck I never noticed while driving, too much other stuff going I guess. In any case I ordered the Steeda Billet Anti Roll Bar today, after looking at TRZ, BMR and Tig Vision, the Steeda Bar looks beefy but still clears the 3" exhaust and isn't over complicated. Also the only one made from billet aluminum so the weight should be minimal vs. the steel or 4130 units.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
BTW, with it twisting, how did your engine bay seam-smoothing hold up? Any cracks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

travelers

Reaction score
Thank you sir, no anti roll bar here yet, I didn't think I needed one with the cage in my car since the chassis is so rigid that I can jack up one front corner and both will lift off the ground. I had some friends watching my passes yesterday and they mentioned how badly the chassis is twisting to the right on launch, and even as the car goes down the track. They said they could see me counter steering inside the car even though it goes perfectly straight, heck I never noticed while driving, too much other stuff going I guess. In any case I ordered the Steeda Billet Anti Roll Bar today, after looking at TRZ, BMR and Tig Vision, the Steeda Bar looks beefy but still clears the 3" exhaust and isn't over complicated. Also the only one made from billet aluminum so the weight should be minimal vs. the steel or 4130 units.

If you can, you should have someone film the car standing just behind it, on the starting line from both sides in two different runs. They would need to have the back and full side of the car in the view finder. That was one of my jobs on the SS/AH. You wouldn't believe how much you can see.

With it mounting behind the rear, the weight would be a benefit. The car might react a little different, so be ready for anything. Also if you put a piece of tape on the steering wheel you might be surprised.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
So I need to figure out this fuel system issue, basically what it's doing is acting like it's running out of fuel. The DeltaP will drop intermittently during the pass, I don't think the system is insufficient since when it's working it works perfectly with maintaining the correct pressure and subsequent AFR etc. DeltaP intermittently, but mostly during the first 1/8 mile drops from the mid 50's to the mid 20's, then it leans out and comes right back up to the mid 50's and then good again. Just before this trip to the track I pumped the tank empty via the fuel pumps, then added about 7.5 gallons of fresh e85, since it's only a 16 gal tank I can't believe that it ran too low, any suggestions? I do have a hobs switch but pressure tested it today and it seems to be working fine, and if I bypass it both pumps run fine while the car idles. I don't know any way to test it under load other than making another pass at the track any other ideas?

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
After going through everything again and finding no issues, pumps, switches, wiring all seem okay, I'm thinking maybe there just wasn't enough fuel in the tank after all. I looked at it again and see that pickup is right in the very front corner of the fuel tank, with only 7.5 gallons being in the tank I suppose that with that much acceleration the fuel could possibly be pushing up against the back of the tank resulting in cavitation with the pumps, especially with the front end of the car being raised up during the pass. I'm thinking that before I spend too much effort on this I'll make sure there's more fuel in the tank before making any passes and see what happens.

travelers

Reaction score
Are you still using the stock tank? What you said about the acceleration could very well be. Does the left half of the tank have to full before the right side get any fuel? You may have got some of that 7.5 in the other side. A fuel cell might be a future item to look at. As for a load testing, do you know of a dyno you can use? You can use it at different rpms to see what the fuel pressure is and if it's steady.

As for the camera, I would pick up a cheep camcorder to use. That's what I was using with a zoom. The zoom is only good for about the first 200ft. That's all you need to see anyway.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Yes it's the oem tank, and it's my understanding that the driver side fills up first, where the pumps are, then the passenger side so a half tank should mean that section is full theoretically, but yes some of the 7.5 very well could have gotten over to the other side like you mentioned, especially on the trip to the track inside the trailer, taking corners etc.

Yes I might need to look into a fuel cell soon, heck that might shed a few pounds too, but then I need to get new pumps and everything so IDK. No Dyno for me, not right now anyway. Here's what the log looks like:

SyG9TQwl.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
That first one isn't really that bad but not wanted, and the second one is big drop. Are those drops in the green shift points? It's a little hard to read that small.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the stock 2 side saddle tank, 7.5 gallons would mean the driver side or fuel pump side is completely full of fuel since the passenger side empties first. And there is a pump baffle bucket to hold fuel near the pumps, AFAIK this isn't an issue with our tanks like the older 2v/cobra tanks. Even if some fuel did get over to the other side it would be siphoned right back over as soon as the pump comes on.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
That first one isn't really that bad but not wanted, and the second one is big drop. Are those drops in the green shift points? It's a little hard to read that small.

The blue is engine speed / RPM, the green is the Delta P. The first drop was during the burnout.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back