Tanner's 4R70W Conversion

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
Ok, in drive mine shifts into O/D. I have an arming switch in the console that arms the momentary switch on my shifter. When on the road I can arm that switch and turn the O/D on and off as I want to . At the track I can turn the O/D of and switch the arming switch off and the momentary switch will not work , so the car cannot go into O/D until I arm the switch again, since the momentary switch is then used for the TB and LL.

So Airborne, the AVB from Lentech will give you what you are looking for . I would think any AVB would work for you with the trans controller.

Sounds ike you have a lot of buttons to be pushing!

Mine is a auto valve body swell with the optishift

If i want OD off i press the side stock button and the led lights up on the dash press again and it's OD on lit goes out, maybe this caus I'm using the factory shifter

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
In case you guys were wondering, I've got over 10K on the swap and no issues yet.. If you are on the fence, get off and do the swap!

awsome! when i get back from my deployment im going to do it.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Sounds ike you have a lot of buttons to be pushing!

Mine is a auto valve body swell with the optishift

If i want OD off i press the side stock button and the led lights up on the dash press again and it's OD on lit goes out, maybe this caus I'm using the factory shifter
No just one for normal operation on the shifter. If I want O/D off then I can hit it just like a stock auto car .. That same momentary switch is used for a few functions though via arming switches in the console .

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
No just one for normal operation on the shifter. If I want O/D off then I can hit it just like a stock auto car .. That same momentary switch is used for a few functions though via arming switches in the console .

arm the machine guns... :thumb:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Different yoke at the transmission.
On my car, length was 52".
The measurement was from the lip of the seal on the back of the trans. to the face of the pinion flange.

joesgt281

Reaction score
Is the drive shaft shorter or longer needed for swap?

I can't recall on mine, but since I was ripping out the 2 piece and going one piece, it didn't matter. I just did the measurements like TexasBlownV8 described and had one built.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
DSS (driveshaft shop) makes one specifically for the guys that have swapped to a 4r70w. They do not stock them on the shelf but they will make you one for around the same price as the one for the stock s197.

I am also running the manual valve body on mine with Circle-D locking converter. Have a switch for OD and a switch to lock the converter. Unless you run a FB valve body then you will have to wire it all up custom which is not that hard. I am using T-brake also. I have the converter wired to unlock when you press the brake. I think I have all my diagrams that I drew when I did mine

DO NOT WHACK THE THROTTLE IN OVERDRIVE WITHOUT A CONTROLLER THAT WILL DISENGAGE THE OVERDRIVE.. OR A SWITCH TO TURN IT OFF. I have a dummy light and still hit it once by accident in OD and instantly snapped my intermediate (or stub) shaft

Last edited:

joesgt281

Reaction score
i wish i had the $$ to do this swap in my 3v instead of a tr6060.

I sold my TR-6060 and almost covered the cost of this swap. I didn't build the trans/converter to the ultimate, but I did do the Baumann controller.
I don't have super-sticky tires, and honestly haven't even taken it to the track, but it's done me well for about 25k miles of "spirited" driving.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
We'll I got a quote from a shop that said 6grand for them to get it and everything I needed and install. So that's y I went with a tr6060. And I have only 3200$ on my tr6060 setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am bumping the right thread, but after reading many 4R70w swap posts, I guess this will have to do.
My hope that a 6R80 controller will come out and be successful is dwindling. I am exploring the 4r70w swap. I found myself over at FB's website. He has many parts for the conversion. I called them for a little clarity and they said that the auto shift controllers do not work. 4R70w transmissions are not surviving when using these controllers due to the improper shift timing used by the controller. Is there any truth to this? FB wants to sell me a MVB with switched OD. That's not what I want.
Does anyone who is using an automatic shift controller have any input?
Thanks

Fordbanger

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I am bumping the right thread, but after reading many 4R70w swap posts, I guess this will have to do.
My hope that a 6R80 controller will come out and be successful is dwindling. I am exploring the 4r70w swap. I found myself over at FB's website. He has many parts for the conversion. I called them for a little clarity and they said that the auto shift controllers do not work. 4R70w transmissions are not surviving when using these controllers due to the improper shift timing used by the controller. Is there any truth to this? FB wants to sell me a MVB with switched OD. That's not what I want.
Does anyone who is using an automatic shift controller have any input?
Thanks

There is a few people using the bauman or us shift controller. But really it all depends how much power you making. With High horsepower cars it's hard to get a auto to hold up. Unless you go with a very expensive trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Baumann will hold a great deal of power and there are no side effects despite what has been said here. The shift points are set in the TCU and the fill rates for the accumulators/pistons/servos are set by orfice sizes (which can be modified) in the seperator plate. You can set the TCU to command the EPC solenoid to constant high pressure or a sharp ramp based on TPS. If you want a transbrake, MVB is really the only way to go. I see no reason the Baumann/optishift couldn't control a car with 1000hp and no TB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'm using a baumann controller with full automatic vb on my twin turbo setup. At the track, shifting is excellent...and fully automatic! But i gave up a transbrake to have a full-auto.
FB told me the same info on why an avb wont hold work reliably. But if it is done right, it can work just fine.

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, everyone. It is good to hear that these swaps are working over the long haul. I spent more time on the phone with other builders. lentech (TexasBlownV8, refresh my memory, did you have issues with them?) seemed pretty helpful and confident that their transmissions will work as I hope. I am willing to give up on a TB for an AVB. Lentech also recommended a Circle D converter so I can apply the torque converter clutch at WOT in 3rd. Will the Baumann allow that to happen? Lentech recommended the Powertrain Control Solutions controller and they seemed to think it will do that.
Thanks again for the help.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can lock the converter in 3rd where you choose. There is a table for it. The software is very intuitive, so you'll be able to use it with basic knowledge. Circle D makes a great converter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back