Temp Gauge reading high at highway speeds

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I was coming to work today and noticed my temp gauge was starting to climb. I did have the AC on and was doing about 80MPH but the gauge has never registered this high before even in the high desert heat. The fan is running with the car up to temp and ac on so the fan works so maybe the radiator. I did notice that if i slowed down to 70 the gauge would drop back down to where it normally sits. I doubt airflow is the problem so i am thinking either the radiator is not flowing enough or the water pump isn't pumping enough at higher rpms. The motor only has 33K on it and that includes the water pump but the radiator over 135K as does the thermostat. Any suggestions or areas to look at first?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thermostat and back flush radiator.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Okay I will start there. Thank you. I am getting conflicting info regarding factory temp. One site says 190 another says 180.

Last edited:

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Okay I will start there. Thank you. I am getting conflicting info regarding factory temp. One site says 190 another says 180.

I believe 05 and 06 were 180 and 07+ was 190 due to the changes in the cooling system for 07

EDIT: Also it is not just the temp that is different. The actual thermostat is a different size

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's a flow problem, but not the thermostat. Tstat tends to be more of a works or doesn't work kind of thing. You seem to be in a situation where the current capacity is not enough when your doing 80 and fine when your doing 70. That would lead me to believe it's a flow problem. But what do I know, I'm a Chef with no Holiday Inn express overnights.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's a flow problem, but not the thermostat. Tstat tends to be more of a works or doesn't work kind of thing. You seem to be in a situation where the current capacity is not enough when your doing 80 and fine when your doing 70. That would lead me to believe it's a flow problem.

Agree. I suggest you drain the coolant and have the whole cooling system (not just the radiator) flushed until the water comes out clear. Then refill with Motorcraft Gold coolant as per factory recommendations.
The stock thermostat is a 192*F (89*C) unit so that's where the engine should operate on the highway except in extremely hot weather or when going up a long incline.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had to replace my stock water pump around 110k miles due to the seal going bad. when I took the stock one out the fins on it that moved the coolant were severely corroded away.

Just another thing to possibly look at.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Agree. I suggest you drain the coolant and have the whole cooling system (not just the radiator) flushed until the water comes out clear. Then refill with Motorcraft Gold coolant as per factory recommendations.
The stock thermostat is a 192*F (89*C) unit so that's where the engine should operate on the highway except in extremely hot weather or when going up a long incline.

Cooling system was flushed in march when I swapped motors. The motor now is a 30K takeout from a 07'. As far as when the temp rises it does it when I am climbing a steep grade (cajon pass) and it is the desert so the temps have been around 95+. But, it has never done it before yesterday.

I agree with 07 boss and I am going to swap radiators and H2O pump just to be sure. I am using Zerex G-05 as per ford specs and it came out crystal clear and the factory pump on the 07 engine looked good, no leaks or excessive play in the pump. If this doesn't fix it than it is either in the stepper motor in my gauge or the CHT sensor.

Last edited:

wabirch

Bill
Reaction score
I dealt with a dang air bubble after a flush and fill. Picked up a vacuum kit this time to fill it and then ran the heater until it was hot. Frustrating for sure.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
well it has been almost 5 months since I swapped motors and if I was going to have a problem with an air bubble I am pretty sure it would have made itself known by now. I am thinking it is a bad water pump and or poor efficiency of an old radiator. The thermostat is getting swapped to so I hope that resolves it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
well it has been almost 5 months since I swapped motors and if I was going to have a problem with an air bubble I am pretty sure it would have made itself known by now. I am thinking it is a bad water pump and or poor efficiency of an old radiator. The thermostat is getting swapped to so I hope that resolves it.

Ever thought about going with a Meziere pump. I can't say enough about how well mine works. My temp needle never even reaches the middle of the gauge where it used to sit with the old stock pump. Many benefits to running and electric pump. If I can keep my blown motor cool out here in Vegas it should get you over Cajon Pass.

Last edited:

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
How do you think it would do on a daily driver. I do about 60 miles round trip for work and I need something dependable.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I used to daily mine without any issues. I've probably put 7-8 years and 50K miles on it.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thing about it is it runs full blast all the time. When you're idling in traffic and your mechanical pump is moving the least amount of water and your temps will rise. With my Meziere, I've seen the temp gauge drop while sitting in the staging lanes at the track. No mechanical pump is ever going to do that. If I bust a belt, not that uncommon with a twin screw. I can make it all the way home on the battery without over heating. And it never hurts to get rid of some of the loss or drag from your belt. Almost like running UD pullies.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Ever thought about going with a Meziere pump. I can't say enough about how well mine works. My temp needle never even reaches the middle of the gauge where it used to sit with the old stock pump. Many benefits to running and electric pump. If I can keep my blown motor cool out here in Vegas it should get you over Cajon Pass.

That'll probably be the next water pump I run. I live in an oven (only 118*F today) so the extra cooling afforded by the Meziere EWP would be great. I also have UDPs so I'll need a shorter drivebelt.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Thing about it is it runs full blast all the time. When you're idling in traffic and your mechanical pump is moving the least amount of water and your temps will rise. With my Meziere, I've seen the temp gauge drop while sitting in the staging lanes at the track. No mechanical pump is ever going to do that. If I bust a belt, not that uncommon with a twin screw. I can make it all the way home on the battery without over heating. And it never hurts to get rid of some of the loss or drag from your belt. Almost like running UD pullies.

Big difference between a mech pump with eng at 600 rpm idle..and 6 krpm. The story I got was the mezziere flowed more at idle, and aprx the same at 3-3.5 k eng rpm. Above 3.5 k rpm, the mech pump would flow more. Dunno if the mech pump cavitates etc, with 5-7 k rpm or not. My temp gauge sits just under half once warned up, and stays put..... but this is with a 190 deg F T-stat. At idle, sitting in the driveway, the aereoforce shows the coolant temp going up to 204 F..then the low speed fan kicks in.... and drops out a few mins later when the coolant gets down to 194F. Then coolant temps start to rise again, and the cycle just repeats itself. Currently I have the low speed fan set to 204 F..and the high speed fan set to 214 F. You can set both the low and high speed fan thresholds to what ever you want on the SCT-X3. On paper (I have not tried this..yet), you should be able to set the high speed fan to a lower threshold than the low speed fan.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score

Which Meziere are you running? I want one but the newer dual ball bearing "supercharger" pump is pricey. I see deals on the other one all the time.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I dealt with a dang air bubble after a flush and fill. Picked up a vacuum kit this time to fill it and then ran the heater until it was hot. Frustrating for sure.

where did you get the vacuum kit?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Which Meziere are you running? I want one but the newer dual ball bearing "supercharger" pump is pricey. I see deals on the other one all the time.

I just have the standard one. They didn't have the heavy duty one at the time of my purchase. Kinda waiting to see if I bust this pulley but it's been fine for a few years with the Whipple and Thumper tensioner which is set really tight. if your going to get blown go with the dual ball bearing one. If not the regular one should be fine. I have only personally seen only one pulley failure where it basically disintegrated and that was on a blown motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back