The Great Oil Debate

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
No, but again, that's not the topic of discussion here. You could start a whole new topic on how different brands of 5w-30 have different viscosities and shear rates.

Doing that we are assuming that every oil is the same, that every oil behaves the same, that every oil has the same viscosity which is false...

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder what the clearances were on the test motors? I also wonder what volume and psi the test oil pump was putting out. I'd imagine they used data from the testing phase to tweak the final configuration.

Same as production, etc etc. Those are assumptions, is there any real data to back up that claim? He specifically states that he would not use 5w-20 in any MOD MOTOR. Unless there is any evidence on the contrary, or any other real evidence that suggests anything else I will follow what the guy that designed the engine says... Everyone else is welcomed to use 5w-20 just because the sticker says so

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Like the title says, lets get all the oil talk in place and sticky it so we have a good reference thread on oil.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
re-read my post. Penzoil caused the problem. I know penzoil caused it, its a fact. Its blown two different engines, and when i rebuilt them with royal purple they were fine.

mobil1 has burnt oil in EVERY single car i have used it in FACT. Penzoil has blown 2 of my engines. I know for a fact its shitty oil, i would NEVER buy penzoil.

there is no way that 2 different cars would blow with penzoil if it wasnt the oil, because i rebuilt them perfectly, when i did it again and fixed the rod bearings the exact same way i did the first time, i used royal purple and they are are both still going strong 8 years later with 100+ k on them!

Penzoil worst oil every, mobil1 burns too much oil!

:bs:

Yeah let's all use empirical evidence based on a completely insufficient set of data and make gross generalizations that are completely unsupported by any sort of evidence whatsoever.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
hells that tends to happen when you discuss oil lol

Yeah but there's a limit to it. You can say what happened to you but you can't claim an oil is so bad it broke your motor. I've run pennzoil for tens of thousands of miles with UOAs that show it's doing a great job. Based on that, I have to conclude that it took him three tries to learn how to put a motor together properly.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
I agree 100%, whats worst is people asuming all oils are great at all weights...

As far as the 5w-20 vs 5w-30 ill stick with what the dude that created the engine says...

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
if i was to say my most hated list, here it is.

Top 5 WORST oils (1 is worst)

1.Penzoil - complete utter garbage! I had 2 different engines blow with this oil
2.Quaker State - Just as bad as penzoil but never had an engine blow
3.Castrol - look this one up. they are the reason for 3k oil changes! Their oil broke down before 3k, they started the whole every 3k change!
4.Mobil1 - burns oil in EVERY single car i have ever used it in! I speak from over 12 years mechanic experience!
5.super-tech - walmart brand oil is far superiour to the above oils, in every way! Never had an issue with it, however not good for performance cars.

Best oil:

1.Royal Purple - This oil has been my single choice since 2002. Its NEVER let me down! In fact there was a time with one of my cars 6 years ago where i had a cracked piston and blown ring, and the car was making power and running for over 20k with royal purple! One day i ran mobil 1 because there was no royal purple left and the engine threw 4 rod bearings!! i pulled it apart to find that the piston was cracked and had been for some time, as well has blown ring. Royal purple saved the engine life!

Royal purple literally has 4 times the film strength than mobil 1 or amsoil! Proven fact. great oil.
How many times did you hit your pipe before posting this BS!!!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
FWIW, my 09 150 5.4 has 242000 miles on it and runs like a top. I run Motorcraft 5w20 with Motorcraft filters. Now my car is set up very loose and I run 20w50 with the vct locked and this is not a DD.

Now that there is an oil discussion going on, what is the down side to using the 20w50 in my car in Texas heat?

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. My experience when I went through a bunch of gear oils back in February was that it took about 100 miles to get to the point where they performed consistently. That, and it took me that long to get over the "glow" from that "new gear oil" smell.

Thanks, and keep us posted!

I drove it over 100 miles today. When I left this morning, it was about 45 degrees, and it was about 70 when I returned tonight.

The tranny definitely goes in and out of gear crisper. Again, no decrease in effort, but the shifts much more consistently 'click' into position with one motion. I purposely drove it this morning without warm-up, and the shifts were better than with the stock fluid.

Again, my tranny had no real issues, so I can't comment on the RP's ability to solve them, nor performance in sub-freezing temps. Also, I haven't tried any other aftermarket fluid, so I have no point of reference there.

I can only say that there was a SMALL TO MODERATE improvement over the Ford fluid (the fluid the dealer installed via the TSB about a year back).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: After a couple hundred miles, everything was status quo. So, I switched back to the Ford recommended fluid -- since I saw no real change, figured I'd take the safe route in case I ever had tranny trouble. The transmission problem threads are growing more and more prevalent, and I don't want anyone blaming the fluid -- even if the aftermarket fluids are of better quality and "meet specs."

Last edited:

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
if i was to say my most hated list, here it is.

Top 5 WORST oils (1 is worst)

1.Penzoil - complete utter garbage! I had 2 different engines blow with this oil
2.Quaker State - Just as bad as penzoil but never had an engine blow
3.Castrol - look this one up. they are the reason for 3k oil changes! Their oil broke down before 3k, they started the whole every 3k change!
4.Mobil1 - burns oil in EVERY single car i have ever used it in! I speak from over 12 years mechanic experience!
5.super-tech - walmart brand oil is far superiour to the above oils, in every way! Never had an issue with it, however not good for performance cars.

Best oil:

1.Royal Purple - This oil has been my single choice since 2002. Its NEVER let me down! In fact there was a time with one of my cars 6 years ago where i had a cracked piston and blown ring, and the car was making power and running for over 20k with royal purple! One day i ran mobil 1 because there was no royal purple left and the engine threw 4 rod bearings!! i pulled it apart to find that the piston was cracked and had been for some time, as well has blown ring. Royal purple saved the engine life!

Royal purple literally has 4 times the film strength than mobil 1 or amsoil! Proven fact. great oil.
I have never seen such an idiotic statement before. On a side note I use mobile 1 in my car.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
Stroker that is a very very very heavy oil... Have you tried 10w40 atleast?

Do an oil analysis or if you can post your clearances.

Number 1 rule of lubrication, you want to use the thinnest lubrication that gets the job done.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
:bs:

Yeah let's all use empirical evidence based on a completely insufficient set of data and make gross generalizations that are completely unsupported by any sort of evidence whatsoever.

I give a shit less if you believe it. Penzoil sucks donkey ass and so does mobil1!!

How many times did you hit your pipe before posting this BS!!!

How many times have you jerked your willy to a picture of your grandma? I know what the fuck I am talking about and your approval isn't needed. Talk with some fuckin respect.

I have never seen such an idiotic statement before. On a side note I use mobile 1 in my car.

It's idiotic? How so? Did you see my engines and thr smoke or loss of oil? Nope so shut the hell up I know what I have seen.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
I give a shit less if you believe it. Penzoil sucks donkey ass and so does mobil1!!

How many times have you jerked your willy to a picture of your grandma? I know what the fuck I am talking about and your approval isn't needed. Talk with some fuckin respect.

It's idiotic? How so? Did you see my engines and thr smoke or loss of oil? Nope so shut the hell up I know what I have seen.

Like you're doing do you mean?

Also, respect has to be earned around here mate.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Like you're doing do you mean?

Also, respect has to be earned around here mate.

I give a fuck less I ain't takin no shit! I know what i have done, I know what works!

I don't need douchebags disrespecting me when we are talkin about oil.

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
I give a fuck less I ain't takin no shit! I know what i have done, I know what works!

I don't need douchebags disrespecting me when we are talkin about oil.

Calm down mate, would you like one of these...

6a00d8341c6d1d53ef0147e0bfbec1970b-300wi

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back