The Yellow Jacket 5.4 build

sharkbaits

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I remember when I did my swap and how pleased I was with the car afterward.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Quick update: Took apart the block and found the #4 and #8 rods were bent and the #4 piston unusable
DSC_0223.jpg

I ended up getting a full refund on the block, found a set of 8 rods that I bought. A few weeks later I found a set of 7 rods and pistons that I bought as well. Now I have a ton of forged gt500 rods if anyone may be interested lol

Picked up the block after getting a hone. Still gotta take the crank in for a polish.

My wife gave me the thumbs up to splurge and hurry this thing up instead of taking my time. I put a deposit to get the mmr 5.4 3v intake listed here so I will be putting my other manifold for sale http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84981

I've also decided to do arp head and mains as well as arp2000 rod bolts. Ill be going with king race bearings and modmax stainless steel piston rings. I picked up some livernois lockouts. For the rest of the valvetrain im going to do comp beehive high load springs and comp steel retainers
http://www.excessiveracing.com/COM-26125-24.aspx
http://www.excessiveracing.com/COM710-24.aspx

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Wow, at least you got a refund on that block. SO are you planning on stay NA since you got the MMR intake or are you still thinking turbo? You would probably have to have a turbo kit custom fabbed for that setup wouldn't you?

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Off the bat ill be na. Im debating just running the stock manifolds instead of trying to fit long tubes and potentially damaging them and losing out on money when I go to sell them for a turbo. But yea, im guessing most will have to be custom made. I think im gonna try to learn to weld and do my own lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
im definitely interested to watch this build progress. i keep dancing with the idea of a gt500 shortblock with my 3v heads. if for some reason you change build directions, shoot me a pm in regards to that intake manifold!

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Look at this beautiful thing that made its way to my doorstep yesterday along with a gt500 throttle body
photobucket-14592-1339861910840.jpg

photobucket-772-1339861940162.jpg

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Not sure if you ordered valve springs yet, but get the PAC 1533 springs. They are much better than comps, but they do cost more. I think they are like $430, but they have a 120lb seat pressure and 285lb open pressure at .550" lift and 300lb rate, plus they are nitrided.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Not sure if you ordered valve springs yet, but get the PAC 1533 springs. They are much better than comps, but they do cost more. I think they are like $430, but they have a 120lb seat pressure and 285lb open pressure at .550" lift and 300lb rate, plus they are nitrided.

Thanks for the heads up. I already bought the beehive though.

Anyone have a tip to removing the valve keepers? I compressed the spring as far down as it would go, the keepers have some play from each other but not up and down

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
What type of spring compressor are you using? A pen magnet works well to remove the keepers.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Looks like this.
OTC_303-1039_LG.jpg

It seems like the spring isnt going down very far and it doesnt clear the keeper

101fng

forum member
Reaction score
The ford compressor works OK but the freedom racing compressor is a lot more heavy duty. I was using a long ass breaker bar with the freedom racing compressor so leverage wasn't an issue. All it took was a firm tug on the breaker bar and the spring was fully compressed. I hear that people sometimes have issues with the ford tool and aftermarket springs as well. Might be your issue. Either way, if you plan on removing some springs later down the road, you'll be doing yourself a favor by picking up a freedom racing spring compressor.

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Is the valve moving down as you compress the spring and are you doing the heads on the bench or on the motor?

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
The ford compressor works OK but the freedom racing compressor is a lot more heavy duty. I was using a long ass breaker bar with the freedom racing compressor so leverage wasn't an issue. All it took was a firm tug on the breaker bar and the spring was fully compressed. I hear that people sometimes have issues with the ford tool and aftermarket springs as well. Might be your issue. Either way, if you plan on removing some springs later down the road, you'll be doing yourself a favor by picking up a freedom racing spring compressor.
Thanks

Is the valve moving down as you compress the spring and are you doing the heads on the bench or on the motor?

The valve is staying put and the spring seems to be compressing only enough to see about half the keeper. By then the knob on the tool is all the way tightened. On a bench.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Update: Ordered a set of Manley H beam rods and arp 2000 bolts, mod max stainless steel rings, king high performance main and rod bearings, new valve steams, gaskets, arp main studs and a new timing set. Once it all comes in ill get the rotating assembly balanced. Looks like the only thing I left stock in this gt500 shortblock is the crank lol

Side note: No luck with the valve springs yet. I even tried a magnet to pull out the keepers but the springs are going down far enough to clear the keepers. Anyone have any tricks?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but are these 3v mustang heads or 3v truck heads? This is a sweet build and I'm in for the results. Keep up the great work and props for tackling this stuff by yourself. Seems very intimidating.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back