THis is why you don't heat your tires in the water box

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My novice friend that goes to the track with me just got an important lesson in why he needs to make a "wheel turnover" in the water box and then pull forward a bit to heat the tires up. THe starter said he could actually see water dripping from the wheel wells onto the tires. A lesson well learned

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good times, glad I've never done something like that!

Going to have to work with him on his launch, I have an auto, the first one I ever had that I could race with. I am going to work with him on understanding that launching is not side stepping the cluth and going. He's pretty sharp and learns pretty quick so I doubt it will be more than showing him once. I drove sticks from the time I was 15 till I was 31 when my girl friend got pregnant and my racing days were over for the next 20 years or so.

Is all good now though......lol

Last edited:

ultamax

forum member
Reaction score
I miss that track. We lived up there for 9 yrs. or so, but I didn't have the Stang then. Still, saw many good races.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My novice friend that goes to the track with me just got an important lesson in why he needs to make a "wheel turnover" in the water box and then pull forward a bit to heat the tires up. THe starter said he could actually see water dripping from the wheel wells onto the tires. A lesson well learned

I've seen that done before. What really sucks is running next.

Reaction score

Yea, thats why i cant cut a decent time here. It seems like all the time i get behind someone who doesnt know how to pre-stage. Then the ricers drive all the way through and so do the novice drivers. I just gave up going to the track and decided to just make my vehicle look good. Hell i dont street race so whats the point in having a drag car if you can't use it.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Yea, thats why i cant cut a decent time here. It seems like all the time i get behind someone who doesnt know how to pre-stage. Then the ricers drive all the way through and so do the novice drivers. I just gave up going to the track and decided to just make my vehicle look good. Hell i dont street race so whats the point in having a drag car if you can't use it.

Obviously you guys are not aware of the Pro Stock style burnout procedure that will not only dry any residual water from the starting line area but will also thoroughly piss off the starting line personnel. :evil:

I've done it a couple of times at HRP and at the FFW races. Used to do it when the damn Focus' would drag water up to the starting line.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Obviously you guys are not aware of the Pro Stock style burnout procedure that will not only dry any residual water from the starting line area but will also thoroughly piss off the starting line personnel. :evil:...

I've seen people booted for that too.

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
If they try....tell 'em to boot the dumbass who drug water all the way to the starting line. Usually works for me.

Now, SD, you know that you're supposed to just pull up near the line, stop and politely point out to the nice starter man that there's water (a safety hazard) on his track and wait for him to clean it up. Then say "thank you, sir"...

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Even more so if you are on a bike. Of which they have quite a few that run on that track.

Reaction score
Obviously you guys are not aware of the Pro Stock style burnout procedure that will not only dry any residual water from the starting line area but will also thoroughly piss off the starting line personnel. :evil:

I've done it a couple of times at HRP and at the FFW races. Used to do it when the damn Focus' would drag water up to the starting line.

I dunno, i dont think ive ever seen it before... *shrug*

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I'm confused and this may not be the right place to discuss it, but how exactly should the burnout be done? Hell, I don't even think the "track" I go to even puts water in the box. Should you drive around the box, then back in or what?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At SRP, cars w/slicks can roll throught the waterbox. D/Rs need to drive around it and back into it, street tires are not to touch it. With D/Rs, I back into it, pull forwards a couple feet, then do the burnout. Some guys (on slicks or D/Rs) do a short flip in the waterbox, then pull forward a couple feet to do their burnout.

Not one thing pisses me off more than to watch a ricer right in front of me drive THOUGH the fucking waterbox, then make a shitty attempt at a burnout with the car winding up at a 45 degree angle, then does a half-assed y-turn to straighten himself out. The water winds up everywhere.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

I saw a newb drag water up the track like that. The very next guy went into the wall less than 200' up the track. After he heard someone watered the track down for him, the newb had his ass handed to him.

That was an ugly night.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At SRP, cars w/slicks can roll throught the waterbox. D/Rs need to drive around it and back into it, street tires are not to touch it. With D/Rs, I back into it, pull forwards a couple feet, then do the burnout. Some guys (on slicks or D/Rs) do a short flip in the waterbox, then pull forward a couple feet to do their burnout.

Not one thing pisses me off more than to watch a ricer right in front of me drive THOUGH the fucking waterbox, then make a shitty attempt at a burnout with the car winding up at a 45 degree angle, then does a half-assed y-turn to straighten himself out. The water winds up everywhere.

Man, I've NEVER done that before. :oops:

I think I'll adopt the pull around method. I'll be running street tires up front and D/R's in the back.

Reaction score
Yea i used to go in the water box hit it a little then go forward and do the main burn out there.. I didnt think you were supposed to do a full burn in the box with dr's... /shrug

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back