Tires - ET, DR, Slicks, etc..

Waakeeen

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was looking at old threads but couldn't find exactly what I needed. Sorry if I missed a post please tag it so I can check it out. So I just purchased some 15x10's wheels and was looking into tires. I know with corona not much is happening but still doesn't stop me from doing what makes me happy. I have a 06 GT, stick and about 500hp to the wheels, I'm a noob to tire brands and specs. I was hoping to get some advice with specific brand of tire to use for best hook/launch without risking breaking my rear glass. I checked out the drag times and noticed some stick shift cars were using m/t et street radial. However when I do a google search there's different versions of that tire, Street pro, S/S and so on lol. Information regarding the tire exactly name would be great and links would be a bonus too! Thanks everyone, can't wait for all this craziness to pass so we can get back to doing what we love!

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
These should fit but I would double check, I run a 28x10.5 slick on my 15x10 rims
P325/50R15
28X13.50R15

I ran the ET streets for a long time when I drove the car to the track very good tire, other than a good tire the best thing you can do to get that 60' down is some suspension work, upper and lower control arms are a must. With the ET's and the stick shift I could cut a 1.8x or 1.9x 60' on occasion, which for a stick car isn't horrible.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First off, manual or automatic?

For the Mickey Thompson line of drag radials; ET street S/S is the most street friendly tire for a big power street car and can hook well at the track, the ET street radial Pro is a class racing tire that you don't want to run on the street if someone even has a sprinkler nearby that is getting water on the road, and the regular ET street R gives you almost as much traction as the Pro but is still somewhat streetable in good weather.

I use a manual transmission and a 325/50 on a 15x10 with a manual transmission. I have some suspension tuning to do to get my 60 ft's back to where they were before I built the motor and went to a different turbo. It would 60 ft more consistently with a Bias Ply tire but I don't want to drive it to the track with a bias ply as it is a climb up a mountain pass at highway speeds and the access road off the highway is 1 mile of gravel logging road.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
So I got a manual trans with 4.10s and I do drive the car to the track so M/T SS sounds like the way to go however by any chance have y'all ran Hoosiers? Also the 325/50 on a 15x10 did you have any issue fitment issues besides getting the relocation sway bar arms?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
where are you planning to use the tires? track only? street? mix?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did do the swaybar relocation whenI had the stock bar. I have heard a lot of good things about the hoosiers but have not used them myself.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, despite M/T saying on the website that the maximum wheel width for the 275/60 is a 9.5", using them on a 10" wheel is acceptable according to their rep that returned my email. Some of the 275X racers put them on a 12" wide wheel.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well at the moment I can only drive my car to the track which is about 40min drive so street/track. But if I can convince the wife to follow me in the truck and just mount the tires when I get there that would be nice lol so I found these:

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompson/672/3555/10002/-1
that's a great tire, as long as your just using them at the track (driving to and from ok too) and not on the street daily, I'd use those.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great advice! One last thing I've been reading psi can be played with anywhere from 12 to 15, is that sound about right?

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I ran the Hoosier quick time DR's, I preferred the Mickey's. For air pressure if I remember correct, and it has been a while since I ran DR's, I think it was 16-18psi

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
13-14psi is where I have been using my 325/50's at the track. The 325/50's work at lower air pressure than the 275/60's in general.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone lots of good info!!! Can’t wait to get back to the track!

JJ427R

Reaction score
I run a bit different size MT ET Street 305/45/18 on 18x10 Roush wheels, run them at 18 psi on the track and about 30 on the street. They are very scary on a wet surface, like being on ice.

Waakeeen

Reaction score
I was running Nitto NT05R and were very slippery when wet, currently I have Toyo R888R haven't driven in wet conditions but was surprised how much they grip on the streets.

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I run a bit different size MT ET Street 305/45/18 on 18x10 Roush wheels, run them at 18 psi on the track and about 30 on the street. They are very scary on a wet surface, like being on ice.
You got that right, got caught in the rain literally 100ft from my house one night slide around a corner doing 10mph, it was pouring out but still scared the crap out of me.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I figure this would be a good place to ask
I am in a similar place, 05 gt, 11lbs of boost, 2.66 6060 with 4.10.
I haven’t been drag racing since the car was N/A and at the time I ran a et street radial so I could drive to the track on them. With 330hp best 60 was a 1.56 once but otherwise 1.7.

Well I just bought an f150 so I can start trailering the car to the track and want to go to a bias slick.
From everything I have read with the weight of these cars stiff wall slicks are recommended, I see Mickey Thompson makes some stiff walls but Hoosier may be the go to stiff walls?
Has anyone ran them both or have a recommendation?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I figure this would be a good place to ask
I am in a similar place, 05 gt, 11lbs of boost, 2.66 6060 with 4.10.
I haven’t been drag racing since the car was N/A and at the time I ran a et street radial so I could drive to the track on them. With 330hp best 60 was a 1.56 once but otherwise 1.7.

Well I just bought an f150 so I can start trailering the car to the track and want to go to a bias slick.
From everything I have read with the weight of these cars stiff wall slicks are recommended, I see Mickey Thompson makes some stiff walls but Hoosier may be the go to stiff walls?
Has anyone ran them both or have a recommendation?

I have ran both the Mickey Thompson bias ply slick and the radial slick, cut 1.2x 60ft's with both. The biggest things I have noticed, is the stability of the radial slick at the big end of the track, the car doesn't move around like it does with the bias ply, and difference at the little end of the track is if the radial slick breaks loose on launch there is almost zero chance of saving the pass, in my experience once the radial break loose there is no amount of pedal feathering that will get it to hook again in time to save the race, if the bias ply break loose on launch I can get out of the gas and then smash the pedal to the floor and the tire will hook almost all of the time.

If I were you I would get the bias ply (wrinkle wall) slicks, it is easier to cut a better 60ft with those ( I assuming you won't be changing your tune at the track), just be aware the ass end of the car will wiggle towards the end of the track, it is nothing to be worried about, just be ready for it.

I have also ran the Hoosier, prefer the Mickey Thompsons

MrBhp

Reaction score
I've been running the Hoosier D.O.T. radial slick, 225/50R16. I wanted the shortest tire I could get. I cut some 1.6's, but not consistently. The car had the Shelby installed suspension, which is not conducive to a great 60 ft. I have since done extensive suspension work, and while I haven't been to the track in some time, I can tell you the car hooks great on the street. I will be upping the size with the next tire purchase. I'm running out of motor.

I concur with Sactown, bias ply is much more consistent. That being said, I think the bias ply tire should be reserved for drag use only. I wouldn't want to just drive around on them. I personally have not followed that advice, but it's what I would give to someone else. My car wiggles quite a bit on the big end with bias ply. With those Hoosiers its dead steady at 130.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I have ran both the Mickey Thompson bias ply slick and the radial slick, cut 1.2x 60ft's with both.

When you say radial slick do you mean like a net street radial? If so that’s what I ran in the past and they would hook with good prep or blow straight off as you said.
The bias ply option there are the stiff wall options from both and the softer, with the weight of these cars the stiff wall seems to be recommended, but I have also heard they are far more stable.
Do you remember the model of the ones you have?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back