TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I had the low rpm 3rd and 4th gear noise exactly as yall describe on my 6060 not sure how this translates to a t56 although the internals are the same. It is completely gone after having the trans rebuilt. The rebuild was cf synchros and bronze pads and the tail shaft damper which apparently wasn't on all years.

As I got it as a takeout advertised as a 2010.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/lightblade543/Image03122011103947.jpg[/IMG

And after being rebuilt with the new tailshaft so you can see the difference.

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/lightblade543/lightblade543012/20150321_130139_zpsl9ahwqbs.jpg

Who did you have rebuild it. As I have magnum xl I need rebuilt. Talked to a few shops and prices are all over the place. My plan is to have exactly what you had done. I broke a fork pad first day at the track this year. Thinking of cryo and rem Polish also. Not needed but go big or go home.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I lucked out, thought about ordering the parts sending it somewhere or trying to do it myself so I put the car on jacks and pulled the trans, on a whim I stopped by a trans shop by my house that I always see a gt500 parked in front of. Turned out it was the owner and he knew exactly what I was talking about and said he could get the parts and do the work. So I brought him my trans. Parts and labor was around $1k iirc.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
More on the Noise

I want to clarify the noise I've been experiencing on with my Magnum T56. It only happens in 3rd or 4th, only under partial throttle (more throttle = more noise), and only with the clutch released (I had to say it). It sounds like a dozen or two medium sized rocks in coffee can rolling down a driveway. It's loud, you cannot talk over it, but you can hear a scream (really). It's not: a bracket rubbing or exhaust rattling or that "DS rattle" with the clutch pushed in. I've heard "deal with it" and shift it like a Honda. No thanks. I've removed the clutch and transmission and put it all back together to make sure nothing was untorqued or misaligned. Same exact noise reoccurs.

So I've asked if anyone else had a similar problem and resolved it. I've gotten a few good responses:
1. Try redline MTL. I'll try that next.
2. And now the messages above, which seem to range from rebuilding the trans (which sucks, I bought it new 1,000 miles ago).

Has anyone else had this "noise" and resolved the issue? If so, how?
Thanks for your time and patience, I know I've said the same thing more than a couple times.

Charlie

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Update on the noise

I received an email from Tremec, after whining about my noise, and Derek asked for the info on my "tag" and for me to measure my driveline angles. He said improper angles are often responsible for this type of noise. I sent him the requested info and will let you all know of the response.

Cross your fingers.

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Tremec Customer Service

So I've contacted the company I purchased the T56 Magnum kit from (JPC in Maryland), I've contacted McLeod, and I've reached out to Tremec. So far only Tremec has been receptive and helpful. After a few emails to establish the problem and convey my Tremec tag into, he had a couple suggestions. The first thought was that my driveline angles were too far off (in excess of 2 degrees). So I figured it couldn't hurt, I shimmed my trans tailshaft up and the rear housing up (a couple hardened washers above the torque arm, easy) and they've within one degree. No change in the noise, but the transmission seems to shift a little easier, hard to tell (it might just be my optimism). Next was to use "the right fluid", not luck there either. Now I've filled out their "warranty" sheet, and I'll see what happens. It sounds like they may want to "look at the transmission in Plymouth". This sounds like it might take a while.... Has anyone else ever sent their Tremec to Plymouth?

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if your driveshaft is bottoming out in trans. With that torque arm you need adjustable lower control arms and if they are adjusted too short you can bottom out driveshaft causing noise under light load when cruising. I put a mark on mine showing where it is bottomed out and then checked it after install. This is how mine sits with no issues. You can tell it's bottomed out if you go to remove it and it is very hard to pull out from the slip joint.

8d48c1b144931698df42f15a4470bddf.jpg

Last edited:

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
yoke depth

I not actually checked how far my yoke slides into my tailshaft, I'll check that tomorrow before I pull it out and pack it for shipping. Thanks.

ASRoff

forum member
Reaction score
So I've contacted the company I purchased the T56 Magnum kit from (JPC in Maryland), I've contacted McLeod, and I've reached out to Tremec. So far only Tremec has been receptive and helpful. After a few emails to establish the problem and convey my Tremec tag into, he had a couple suggestions. The first thought was that my driveline angles were too far off (in excess of 2 degrees). So I figured it couldn't hurt, I shimmed my trans tailshaft up and the rear housing up (a couple hardened washers above the torque arm, easy) and they've within one degree. No change in the noise, but the transmission seems to shift a little easier, hard to tell (it might just be my optimism). Next was to use "the right fluid", not luck there either. Now I've filled out their "warranty" sheet, and I'll see what happens. It sounds like they may want to "look at the transmission in Plymouth". This sounds like it might take a while.... Has anyone else ever sent their Tremec to Plymouth?
I grew up in Plymouth.... I know exactly where they are....

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Transmission is back from Tremec

I wanted to post an update on my investigation into the noise I get from when in 3rd or 4th gear, under load, and from 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. I have the T56 Magnum XL with a RST dual disc clutch. Let me say that the transmission and the clutch operate well, with no problems at all. It's just the noise that drives me crazy.

So far I've confirmed that the driveline angles are within 2 degrees, rebuilt the rear end, greased and adjusted all the torque arm, watts link, lower control arms. I removed the transmission and sent it back to Plymouth, MI. It came back last week, freshly went through by the factory (at no charge) and they found nothing that would cause the noise I described. They did some adjustments and replaced the 5th and 6th synchros.

I reinstalled the transmission last week and I think it shifts a little easier. None of this was done by the "scientific method", it's just me and the seat of my pants. Anyway, the noise remains as it was, completely unchanged. All that's left is the clutch. And I know that my RST was overkill, it just came in the kit I purchased.

So I bought an Exedy stage 2 single disc clutch with a steel flywheel. The part number is 07953FW. It may end up being a little stiffer, we'll see. I just hope the noise is gone. It's going to be a couple weeks until I have a full day in garage by myself, but once it's done I'll post the result.

Thanks for listening...

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Hope you get it figured out. Did you check your driveshaft slip joint clearance to make sure sure it isn't bottoming out?

cgornowich

forum member
Reaction score
Driveshaft slip joint

I did check the driveshaft slip distance, like you suggested, and it fine.Even after I shimmed the trans tailpiece to align the drive angles. And I put in MTL as you suggested as well. That noise is a real kicker. But all that's left is the clutch, I've replaced (or rebuilt) everything else...

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Returning to this thread to get some insight. I've put a few thousand miles on the magnum and love it. Still shifts great, but it seems 4th gear is so far away from 1-3. It seems like it'd be a great 8th miles N/A car but 4th gear it bogs so hard. Anybody else think the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Stock, 3.55. Then again I'm not making big power yet. I've just got a cam and off-road x for now so it may feel like it. And may feel quicker once I'm making some On3 power.

Last edited:

2010GlassGT

Reaction score
I'm a new member here and I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue my car has developed over the last 5K miles.

I installed a T56 Magnum, RST clutch, Mcleod lightened steel flywheel, and an aluminum driveshaft from a vendor about 5K miles ago. Everyone was amazing until about 1K miles ago.

Now, for some reason, my clutch is not disengaging fully when the pedal is to the floor. This is not consistent and only happens about 10% of the time. Sometimes there is resistance on downshifts (4-3 or 3-2) or I can be in traffic (either in 1 or 2) with the clutch to the floor and the shifter will simply not move out of gear. I can get it to release by pumping the clutch at low speeds until it disengages on a different pump, if that makes sense. When that works, the car will lurch a bit forward. I've narrowed it down to the clutch as I've been on a slight incline in 1st with the clutch fully depressed and no brake and the car does not roll back. My car does not have hill assist, by the way.

I am really stumped why after 5K miles after install this would suddenly happen. I did also install a new slave even though my car only had 36K miles when I put the T56 in.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
This may sound simple, but the first thing I would check to make sure the floor mat has not moved up under the clutch pedal. In fact I think there was even a TSB from Ford about that a few years ago

2010GlassGT

Reaction score
That's a good idea, as I never thought of that. I just checked since I have aftermarket floor mats. The top edge of the mat doesn't even come close to coming under the clutch pedal. My car also has the hooks to keep the mat in place.

2010GlassGT

Reaction score
No leaking on the master cylinder that I can see. Connection on the cylinder feels tight and no fluid on the car or ground.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back