Twin Twins

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'm not blaming S&H for anything. And Bobby and Jeremy have been most helpful; I'm just not taking them up on their offers to have me send in pipes and have them tweak them, not yet at least!

We'll be doing Leo's car tomorrow, and yes it is set up like the car is was designed on; it should go fast...I hope! I've learned a lot doing all this on my car, and Bobby's pics and advice has helped. :hi:

I DID know going into this that fitment with my 4r70 would be tight, and close, and may require changing of some pipes a little. And, I'm pretty picky about things, and being able to service items without having to take off things when possible. The trans pan is a perfect example here. Most people wouldn't care.

But the driver side was just so far off, and I had to grind out part of the bellhousing to make it fit. Of course if you don't care about the shift linkage possibly hitting a pipe, or getting the pan off w/o removing the turbo, then yeah, I could have made it fit snug and tight against the trans and not changed anything (other than the outlet), maybe, by twisting the assembly more to one side. I chose to make those transmission changes to make it fit better, like I would want it to fit.

The passenger side is much better, and would have went up in place practically as-is, had the O2 sensor bung been moved over a little; I rotated the bung around, from where it was by about 1", and now it fits very well! The O2 sensor clears the 4r70 trans now, and I can get to the sensor and install and remove it without having to remove the piping and without the sensor hitting/rubbing against the trans. But, the sensor is closer to the manifold nut, and might get in the way if you put it on the pipe first, unless if not moved over as much as I moved it (i.e., move its location by 3/4-7/8 of an inch).
I also banged in the pipe just a little by the pan where it could possibly rub/hit; Bobby and I talked about doing that there.

Here's pics of these last "tweaks".

here's the passenger side manifold pipe as it was; the arrow and blue dot show where I'm moving it to:
psgrO2-whereitwas.jpg

after I moved it over; pipes are tack-welded only at this point, pointing to where it was:
psgrO2-movedto.jpg

I can get to

With pipes tacked and the entire turbo roughly test fitted, here's how a sample O2 sensor now sits: I can get to it with an O2 socket or a wrench. (The sensor/bung is NOT inline with the manifold stud, but is offset from it.)
psgrO2aftermoved.jpg

Didn't get to install that side in the car yet.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'll let Leo post up pics he took; today we worked on his car, first getting some things bolted back to the engine to 'seal it up', including timing cover, valve covers, front accessories, radiator, hoses, etc.
We did mount the driver side turbo assembly, and connected the downpipe up to it, but the "cat" is not in a good position to clear the trans crossmember, and as such, the turbo is forced to sit a little higher at the back and the back-end of the piping is hanging too low. That space next to the trans crossmember is where piping needs to be, and is in a normal setup.

So we're going to have to revert to regular cat-less exhaust pipes to get it all to bolt up, even on Leo's car.

Nevertheless we got a lot done today, and it all had to be done anyways.
But, the turbos are still not yet on Leo's car. (sure we could have left them hanging in place, but not able to tighten them down properly, we decided to remove the one we installed, and wait on different piping).

One slight change we did as well on Leo's radiator mount was to shorten the rectangular tubing past the radiator support grommets, to prevent contact with the larger aftermarket radiator.

:beer:

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Trying to find a box to ship my pipes...meh. This could be a timely turn around.

So glad was able to button everything back up in the engine bay. The powder-coating on my timing cover, water-crossover, tensioner & t-stat housing make everything look 10x cleaner in there. Very happy with how it looks now.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For Mike, your cold side y pipe from each turbo and down pipes may need modified based on revised turbo placement to fit the 4r70. So make sure yall test fit that first as well so anything that needs modded for Mikes setup can all be done at once.

And Leo we will remove the cats and throw on hangers this will help you see where the correct position for the turbos are. Keep in mind the passenger side turbo can not be put into the correct place until the k member is clearanced.

Once of the boxes everything came in should work and send as much at once.

Last edited:

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Unless Mike gives me the hangers off his car..and can be put on my cross-member..my trans didn't come with them..so..i guess if the hangers dont get in the way of anything, that's cool. I'm not sure it will do much good. We'll see.
Something I thought of yesterday when we were putting everything else together is the injector spacers. I don't think those made it with the rest of the stuff.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I mean the metal hangers on the down pipes, the cats caused them to be deleted off the down pipes. They really help show you where the pipes should go. My 6060 cross member didn't come with the actual hanger mounts either, I snagged some off the forum for cheap and put them on. The stock 3650 ones are the same.

I will drop ship the spacers from Fore, thanks for the reminder, totally forgot about those! Same address at Mike's?

FAST3V

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Right, I know what you're talking about, but didn't think they would help since I didn't have the mounts. I'll try to pick some up too...I think that would be a good idea.

Thanks Jeremy!! Yes, same address as Mikes is fine.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yeah I'd like to have the trans hanger rods for the downpipes, even if I need to weld them on my pipes myself. I still have the holders on the trans mount; didn't remove them yet.

I already clearanced my k-member edge to fit, but will definitely check it again when putting it together. I used that location of slight interference to get it into its approximate location for test-fitting.

I talked to Bobby about the Y-pipe today, and yes, it will need to be extended or use a spacer section between the y end and turbo outlet and put a hose on each end, or extend the pipe to the length needed (it can be sent with Leo's).

I'll get the length and make sure the passenger side fits right.
But, can I ask a question about the U-bend that goes to the passenger side? That piece is made of a lot of little bends welded together. It would seem to be better air flow if that was a smooth bend; the welds and bends make it a rough transition for the compressed air to make that bend. I can get pics.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are no U-bends in the kit? But sections of pipe placed together and welded is no different than two pipes pushed together and then attached with a silicone coupler, wont hurt anything when one pipe is slightly slipped into the other before welding.

Last edited:

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to make a trip down y'all's way and video both of these cars when they are done. I also need to video the big block swapped v6 car too!

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Why is the layout of the passenger side different than the driver side?
The driver side fits so nice and tucked under now, even though I had to do some "trans clearancing". But the passenger side, it's like fat-ass. The back end hangs down low, too low, lower than my long tube headers used to hang. I now see how that "should" fit, which it would if there was room to rotate and move-over the manifold pipe, but that can't happen: the trans is in the way. After getting it into place the best it can fit, and then trying the cold-side pipes, and seeing the angles on the ends, I understand how the turbo assembly is supposed to sit under there; in the right position, the back would raise up more, as needed.

And, we are missing some couplers and clamps; pm sent with details.

Some pics and more about what I did today...the jack is being used to hold things in place so I can take pics; it has no pressure or weight on it.

Passenger side assembly ready to go in:
S2011749.jpg

Pics of it installed in the best position it can go in as-is: (clearances everywhere where there should be clearance)
S2011767.jpg

S2011768.jpg

Front view: .. compared to the driver side, you can see it hanging much lower..
S2011753.jpg

S2011752.jpg

Turbo hangin' low, side-view:
S2011754.jpg

cold-side Y-pipe: overall fitment and location is best then the turbo is actually in part of the pipe:
S2011762.jpg

y-pipe gap to driver side; not worried about this, other than how it 'best fit' up to the passenger side, the opening was off about half a pipe width forward or back of the turbo opening (when looking at it from the side, so No, rotating the turbo more wont make that fit up properly).
S2011755.jpg

cold-side y-pipe bend to the turbo...'fabricated bend':
S2011765.jpg

S2011769.jpg

S2011764.jpg

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Parts list for the kit is in the first post of the install thread. So if something is missing bounce it off there and let us know.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you got to get that passenger side turbo up higher and level. We may have to modify the feed pipe from the header like suspected. Intercooler y pipe doesn't look bad that's an easier fix once the turbo is in the right place. Those fuckers are going in there one way or another lol

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yeah, you got to get that passenger side turbo up higher and level. We may have to modify the feed pipe from the header like suspected. Intercooler y pipe doesn't look bad that's an easier fix once the turbo is in the right place. Those fuckers are going in there one way or another lol

YES THEY ARE GOING IN!!! I really like how that driver side fits up, nice and hidden, and above the k-member-to-pans level. The passenger should be the same, or close.

I was thinking about that, too, on the passenger side. What can I do to help figure that out? Or do y'all want to look at the design on that side?

Y'all know I'm trying to make everything work and fit as-is, and figuring out what seems to be what is needed to get them in there. So we are making progress.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back